Best envelopes

Hello everybody,
I’m Gaz and I’m in the process of opening a new store. I’m in England. This might seem like a strange question, but what is the best kind of envelope for sending loose pieces when the order is classed as a “Large Letter” (bubble wrap lined, for example) and what’s the best way to package orders that qualify as “Small Parcels”, going by Royal Mail classifications. Anyone know a good supplier of boxes/bags/envelopes, that is a cost effective option?
Thanks, Best Wishes

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Gaz,
    Welcome to Brickowl.

with regards to packaging of 'large letters' I don't consider jiffy bags as the best, maybe the cheapest option! I use PIP boxes in various sizes from Ebay, which in my opinion are the best for protection and look very professional, which in turn leads to repeat customers.

I use 3 sizes of PIP boxes found here ~ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174060319073?_trkparms=ispr=5&hash=item2886cdb161:g:ad4AAOSw8IFh2Dy8&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAAwPtfNFZRzox5n6A0uAR4yi0cFlr9aPoy64CWQap76lORrhNugW7G9qDD4piWSsEh5tn10n6glJWJJY9EoigAXzJqUQz2xVPE9XKY33NUbAMGGc25hOxtryVsNUJYI+jaJg1lzjmQjvz59OMqXLHHIxmvd/5BuHIxz5K5Y/Z9hBVUFYPnA4ELGMWSIsWP9sbzix//5LIPzkUAKwZM80Yhfa3f6KiyXH66V/3UVH5HpO6vAtrv2MIs9JsEYZvXW5UaLg==|tkp:BlBMUNij9bOJYA

Depending on what colour you want to use, white or brown, this affects the price. I use sizes C6, C5 and C4 in white, a little more expensive but worth it. I also line the boxes with tissue paper to stop movement within the box.

As for 'small parcel', just look at the maximum size Royal Mail allow and bear in mind they have changed the weight, it's now upto 2 kilo for the same price

Hope this helps!

Mike
  • I get most of my packaging from ebay. I've built up a few favourite sellers who have good products and competitive prices. If you can buy in bulk it's cheaper.

I use the PIP boxes that SimplyBricks listed but I also use padded envelopes, mostly just the smallest size A/000 for really small orders and also mini PIP boxes, I think they're 4" square. I use bubble wrap for padding if it's needed. I try to use the smallest packing possible to keep the weight down and therefore the postal cost.

Small parcels I deal with the same as large letters, grip seal bags for the bricks, bubble wrap to stop it moving about. Or sometimes that paper padding that you get in Amazon parcels if I've got any.
  • Over on this side on the pond, I use a ULine S-2457 Casette Mailer for very small orders. It’s tare weight is less than one ounce, made from cardboard, and folds up to 5.5x3x1 inches. It is capable of holding a few plates and/or bricks, or up to 3 mini-figs. There may be an equivalent available in the UK.
  • I use mail-lite bubble mailers in size 00 and 2. These are easily available from Amazon or Ebay. Next size up would be a large letter Pip box, which is designed to just fit inside the large letter limit. These are essential for some orders to stop them going over to parcel due to pieces settling in the bag.

Small boxes I keep two or three sizes. Fortunately we generate these as waste at work, I have a few products we regularly use that give ideal boxes for 500g to 1kg of lego. Bubble wrap and carboard filler is also reused.

Grip seal bags for the bricks themselves I keep about 6 sizes from 3x5cm to aprox a4 size.
  • This is great advice all round. Thanks for the welcome and the good ideas. Best wishes everyone.