Multiple items in order, and package dimensions

This is a problem I just ran into, over at the other site, but I’m trying to make sure it doesn’t happen here …

Customer orders two sealed sets. The volume of each set, when combined, does not hit the maximum of the shipping method. But the maximum cubic limit for the shipping method does not take in account the void space when trying to co-pack the two sets.

A rudimentary example ..

Set A is 20x10x4 = 800

Set B is 12x10x5 = 600

Total occupied volume for both is 1400

But the space needed to co-pack is actually 20x10x9, or 1800. There is 400 of unused void space. The shipping method has a limit of 1600.

The two items will NOT ship by weight, as the limit is 1728 (one cubic foot).

How can (a) the system be wired to avoid this or (b) to take into account the void space or (c) force the system to a quote request for anything involving more than one lot ?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In BO, first I set my packaging dimensions in shipping bands to accommodate internal packing space (I suspect you do this too). While I have no idea how BO calculates packaging size needs when concatenating multiple products, I haven't run into an issue yet where the weight bands I use (with max size constraints set smaller than the inner box max dimensions) create an issue.

You could message admin via Contact Us (bottom of screen) and ask how the algorithm works when calculating multiple sets/large parts to accommodate the voids? That might be the most expeditious way to either set you at ease, or affirm that you may need to further shrink dimensions allowed in your weight bands.
  • Actually, my current response (over there, I don;t think it’s possible here) was to limit orders to one lot. If someone wants to purchase multiple sets, I can determine how small large they are, and make a judgement call on the ability to combine them, or not. I do not want to push everything into quote request, because some people want to do click-click and move on. Mostly those people are buying a single set.
  • Another alternative is to force Request a Quote by maxing your size settings in your shipping bands (that is what I do now for items/sets over 22").
  • @nita_rae I have set my sizing to the smallest so anything over a letter , buyers have to request a shipping cost. Don’t know if this would help you , but it works for me.
  • @Calibrick

Well yes, there is that option (tinkering with maximum shipping size). But which item(s) do I mark RFQ ? The problem I ran into is not so much any single item causing an issue, it’s the particular combination of items (and the cubic required to contain them).