Feedback Types

edited July 2013 in General Vote Up3Vote Down
I left my first feedback today. I noticed there was only one choice - positive. No problem there. My buyers all deserved positive. But, for future reference, will BO be like eBay in that sellers can leave only positive feedback and no negative or neutral feedback?

Sorry for all the questions. But I am on an accelerated learning curve for this new site.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, that is correct, it is not finished yet though, there will be more added to that page later
  • Does that also mean buyers can only give positive feedback too?

BTW, will feedback be a general good, bad, meh kind of thing, or will BO later have feedback with numerical ratings? Looks like the former.
  • Buyers can leave neutral or negative. Sellers cannot to prevent buyers being scared of retaliatory feedback. I intend it to be "All these stores are good, feel safe here", "This shop says they dispatch quickly, but never do, run away"
  • So how do we make other sellers aware of problem buyers so they can take the proper precautions? While 99% of my buyers have been great, there will always be a small percentage of troublemakers, scammers, PayPal abusers, nonpayers, etc. Thus, for example, as a seller I would certainly like to know if my buyer has had a history of filing premature or improper PayPal claims, or fails to send money order or cash payments as promised. Because only then can I take extra precautions to protect myself.

Thor
  • Is this site going to be all about the buyers with no protection or recourse for the sellers?
    Last month I sold 4 items on ebay after a long break from selling there.
    One of them the buyer opened a claim for all his money back--said item was not as described. Listing said MIGHT include all of the following, and he read it as WILL include all of the following. He got my product and his money back. I paid to ship him free Lego.
    Another one of those 4 transactions the buyer got mad because they go to pay and noticed that it wasn't free shipping. They told me that they typed in Lego free ship and my listing came up. I had nothing to do with that--I reread my entire listing, and nowhere does it even hint at free shipping. I offered to cancel and they declined. Paid and then left me neutral feedback. I changed my selling plans for ebay after that.
    I strongly believe that the AFOL community is a much better group that your average ebayer. But in a sense we are trying to reach beyond the average AFOL here.
    I will definitely give this site a chance, but if I start running into the crap I did on ebay with no recourse for me as a seller this WILL greatly affect my selling plans for BO.
    Katie
  • Please do not be alarmed, for now, if you encounter issues, e-mail me. When I have time, we will have systems in place to report bad behaviour and action will obviously be taken if necessary.

This is not eBay :)
  • This is a horrible mistake! It is better to remove retaliatory feedbacks then to prevent a seller from leaving a negative or neutral. By doing that many sellers will likely do just as we do on eBay, not leave any feedback at all. I rarely leave a negative for a buyer, in fact the only time I do is with a non paying buyer BUT to not allow a seller to do so is injustice to your site.

Gary
  • In what way is that a horrible mistake? The results that you describe don't sound horrible at all. Really, what difference does it make if buyers get feedback?

• For one I would think many or most buyers would be proud of their positive feedback, after all they did earn it. Second, feedback should be on an even slate. It is unfair for a seller to not be allowed to honestly reflect their opinion on the transaction. There is plenty of hostile buyers out there and that is the one and only way to let other sellers know what they are dealing with. And finally, I recently had an experience with a buyer that opens new accounts and files chargebacks until they are shut down. Then they open another one and start the process all over again. I was able to prevent at least 3 orders from leaving the sellers possession by leaving a negative which flagged the other sellers letting them know the buyer is in fact a scammer and will do a chargeback once the order is shipped. And there may have been more orders saved that is just the 3 I got emails from thanking me for the warning. There is no other way to warn as many as fast as that. It happens repeatedly on eBay. Sure ADMIN can shut them down, once they are alerted or it is figured out they have been scammed but how many sellers need to get the shaft before it happens. If a seller recognizes the person and can immediately warn others it is faster and better then any thing an ADMIN can do. Right now we will be able to get in touch with ADMIN rather fast. The site is small and in the beginning stages. Once it is up and running full speed you wont have an ADMIN at your fingertips every time you log in. How many orders will same day shippers send out while your waiting on an email to ADMIN to be investigated and acted upon? There are other things to consider besides retaliatory feedback.

Gary
  • I agree with Gary 200%. As a seller on BL I have on dozens of occasions been saved a lot of misery, money and aggravation by appropriate cautionary feedback sellers left for problem buyers. I have returned the same favor for other sellers with feedback I gave to a few of my own problem buyers.

Admin, I think it is admirable for you to assure us that you will take action against such buyers. However, do you really want to assume that kind of responsibility and be the sole one to warn us sellers about problem buyers? Suppose you make a mistake about a buyer or are too busy to act on such a problem and this mistake or delayed action causes harm to multiple sellers. Will you come here and post "Hey guys, sorry I dropped the ball on that one"?

Personally, I think the fear of retaliatory feedback is way overblown. On BL, I have left almost 100 non-positives for others and received only 2 or 3 retaliatory feedback in return. Others have told me the same. So retaliatory feedback does not really happen as often as some people fear. Moreover, retaliatory feedback is usually pretty obvious and usually reflects more badly on the giver than the recipient. Lastly, if recipients are given an opportunity to post a response to any non-positive, they can very often nullify or even reverse it in the eyes of many readers. IMO, a good response to unjustified non-positive feedback elevates the reputation of the recipient much more than even a dozen or so additional positives that no one will ever read anyway.

Thor