So confused with vat when shipping overseas

Hi all
Really need help with my problem. I have received an order from Finland. On the notes this has appeared
Import VAT has been paid on this order via the online marketplace Brick Owl Ltd. The IOSS number IM2500004221 must be included in the customs information
Ok I understand I need to put the IOSS number but where exactly do i put it. Is there a special form I use?
I have checked the website but to be perfectly honest I do not understand it. I have posted many orders overseas since we left the EU but this has never happened before.
Please help.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This would need to be included in electronic customs information supplied along with the package. This can be done at the post office or on Click & Drop
  • @Lawrence - thank you for prompt reply. So i would put it on the customs declaration stick label?
  • edited March 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    No, the IOSS number does not go on the CN22/23. It should never be included on the outside of the package (I'm not sure why but all mail carriers say that).

It needs to be supplied digitally so that the receiving country's customs are aware that the inbound package has already had VAT levied. If you print your own postage you should enter the number in the relevant field, and if you take your parcel to the Post Office, you should ensure they enter it for you on their system.

Your package should have a barcode that would allow customs to check that this is a parcel they're aware of, and that VAT has been paid. If you print your own postage it should include this barcode, and if the Post Office enters the info for you, they should attach a barcode label to reflect that.

If the info isn't supplied digitally - or the barcode is missing - there's a chance your buyer will be charged VAT again (plus a hefty admin charge). And of course that means there's a chance they'll refuse to pay and instead seek a refund from you (or PayPal) for the order.
  • @WESTIEKATH I have started to pay for postage online at the Royal Mail website for all overseas orders as the process is a bit clearer. When you ship to an EU country it automatically asks if you are selling through a marketplace (select 'other') and requests the IOSS number. When the postage label is ready to print a little black circle with IOSS appears beneath the address to indicate this, but the full number is not displayed.

Took me a while to get the hang of it, and I'm not getting many international orders anyway, but is worth looking into (and it is slightly cheaper than doing it in person).
  • @Hoddie & @Jay37 - thank you so much that has made it a bit clearer. All this is new to me as I have shipped overseas many tmes but this hasnt happened before - possibly because the order is a larger one. Thanks again - once again a tremendous help <3
  • I have done many online registrations at this point and have yet to see anywhere to enter any kind of VAT paid info. Finland Post, at least, does not provide a field for it. It's names and addresses, content and value. So on the CN22 it goes.