Suspicious order

Hello,
I have received a large order, however when I have gone to pick it I am getting red flags! The buyer is new, only register 5 days ago and is on zero feedback. Their billing and shipping addresses are different and their IP is registered in the US - am I being paranoid? Do I cancel the order or is there something I can do to make sure I am protected?
Thank you

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If it was me I would cancel if I felt it wasn’t right.

I always use my gut instinct and usually when something doesn’t feel right it isn’t.

A zero feedback order from US to UK with the all the extra postage and duty would ring an alarm bell to me.
  • Thank you, both the shipping and billing address are in the UK but the IP is in the US - that was what was suspicious to me more than anything
  • A lot of people use VPNs for watching movies and stuff so the IP is a much smaller flag these days...

How about the payment provider? Is the address verified there?

Assuming it's paypal, is the transaction eligible for protection?

Are the billing and shipping addresses nearby? Could it be that they want the parcel shipped to their work address?

I had one such order to Switzerland recently. Stripe couldn't verify the postcode, the shipping address was different from the billing address and the user was new. I looked up the 2 addresses, turned out to be nearby towns. I googled the name of the customer and some of the hits were about the board of a company in the shipping address town so I sent it.

I have to say that I was considering contacting the person I googled and double check that they had placed the order and their credit card wasn't "stolen".

A gut feeling is a powerful thing, these are just ideas of what you can try to put it at ease ;)
  • I would not be suspicious of that order, or people with new account.
    I have many people who buy from me that has just created an account.

And lastly, it the buyer have paid the money for the order, and i can see the money has been received on my paypal account, i go right ahead and pick the order.
    And the billig / shipping address being different is for me not a problem either.

Maybe it is a present and it is a parent who have bought it for his kid or something, who knows.
    That is at least how i think about this.
  • Thank you, They paid with Paypal and their address is confirmed so I think I am just overthinking it!
  • There have been talked about this before, that people would not let "new" accounts or first buyers be in their shop.
    But i do not understand this. Sometimes i can see people coming from bricklink, or some other link, that sometimes stands beside their username.
    So yeah, it is okay to overthink, but if the money is trough, they at least have an active and valid paypal account :-)
  • @Pickandmixbricks
    Just as we talk about

This has just come into my store. Completely new account. BUT the paypal service / status is completed, hence i have gotten my money. So i can not see why i should not fill this order :-)
  • Like I said gut feeling is a powerful tool. I think you just need to decide if you feel the order feels right to you.

Just as an aside, I have had a huge number of orders from good folks with zero feedback (everyone has ro start somewhere). I have never had a problem with these buyers.