What am I missing?

I'm trying to sort my orders by category/ id name/ color. But no matter which option I select from the drop down menu I get the same result--am I missing something obvious? It would really be helpful to have things in order for pulling.
Even when I select to sort by color first, the colors are still all mixed--like is said nothing changes.
The only thing I can get to change is sorting by column--I can get new and used separated.
Got a 77 lot order to pull and was really hoping to make some sense of the order before I have to start pulling it.
Katie

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited February 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    To the far right of the dropdown is a little up/down arrow, right in front of 'Note'. Try selecting your preferred dropdown option then clicking the up arrow.

Brian
  • I am having the same issue as well. It is definitely a funky sort. I have my inventory set up to where say all 2x4 bricks are in the same location, all 2x2 bricks in the same location etc... and for the life of me I can not get the sort feature to list everything together. It really slows down pick times. I have gotten it close but never all together.

PP
  • Thanks, Brian, that definitely helped. Not the same as BL-- as some of the names and numbers are different here, but a much better breakdown.
  • In Order View and Picking List I use "Personal Remark" - I had that already in the other place.

Inventory is best searched using filters New/Used - Color and such then "force" the search using " " around it (as I was taught) it works fairly well so try search "2x2" instead of 2x2, and less is more - the more words you put in the search the more results you'll get (unless you use the " " ) - I think thats right!
  • @Plastic-Paradise could you give an example order number that this is happening on?
  • Sure, for example, Order #3453201.

I have it first separated by new then used which works great, no issues there. Then I have tried a number of different ways but it all ends up scattered. Currently I have it set to Category / Name (ID) / Color / Note. You will notice on this particular order there is lots of minifig head gear that I assume should be all together when pulling but it is scattered throughout the order no matter which sort I select. This is the same with all categories. The one thing I did get to work well was the by location but then it scrambles the new and used which doesn't work for me either as I don't want any new getting mixed with used.

This is every order.

Thanks for the help,
    PP
  • Does it have anything to do with the color being part of the name? Regardless of your sorting preference, does it list black parts first and yellow ones last?
  • No sir it is just scattered. It does do some grouping but even then I will find more of the same orders scattered throughout the order. It isn't such a big deal on the smaller orders but on the larger ones it stinks.

PP
  • I think you can only sort the order items using one of the columns. When you change the 'name' field it does not automatically sort the order using that field. You need to click on the header to sort it but then it would mix new and used.

Gerrit
  • @PP

I do basically what Gerrit describes but then click the condition header, sorts very close to my storage system that sounds similar to what you describe.

First click on the empty space of the header sorts to category, second click leaves this sorting style but separates the used to the bottom.

Took me some time to figure out where I had to click to get the list to sort.

• Looking closer it's the same thing Brian said basically, I just now have got a handle on the arrow actually being there... click empty space or the arrow it's all the same.
  • @Admin

The instructions about this that come up on an order say...

"To sort by a column, click the column header. Hold the shift key and click to sort by multiple columns"

This never seemed to work for me.

I now see if I hold down the Ctrl key the headers chosen are highlighted and appear to sort as described, new to me anyway.

Do the instructions mention the wrong key? Browser thing?
  • @Plastic-Paradise and others, if you follow the updated help note above the table, I think it should work. I managed to get it working on that example order.

I think the issue is, the order in which you select the columns is important. You have to select the least dynamic column first. As in, the way sorting works, you sort by something, and then when two of those things are the same, you sort by the second option.

So, if you sort by condition first, most of the conditions will be the same, and then when they are the same, it will use the name column to sort.

If you sort by name first, they will almost never be the same, so it will never sort by the second column.