Any fellow sellers colour-blind?

Hello,

Me again!

If I haven’t mentioned yet, I’m colour blind, which makes sorting Lego parts just that touch more complex for me when it’s time to assign the colour. For context, my colour-blindness is on the severe side of the spectrum. I mostly see in black/white/grayscale and occasionally flares of primary colours if they’re beside a highly contrasting colour. Unfortunately, there’s no treatment or cure for my kind of colour blindness yet, it’s just something I have to put up with.

I’m still figuring out ways to overcome my hurdle. Just trying a few different things here and there until I land on something that sticks.

So far I’m using other people to help determine colours, but I’m investing in a colour library MOC as I think having a physical reference of each colour to match would really help me.

It occurred to me I may not be the only one, statistically speaking, so thought I’d see if anyone else out there is colour blind to a degree and feel like sharing your experience so far.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting to read about this! I'm not colour blind myself, but am struggeling with determining colours at times. I'm working on a colour pallet MOC too, with just tiles and the name printed next to it, to make it easier. I think that will be very useful and it doesn't have to be expensive. I just put some tiles on a baseplate and that's it.
  • Even with perfect colour vision, Lego colours can be quite a challenge sometimes. And you don't even need to go into the flesh and nougat versions for that either.
    I find having a very good light source is the main key for correct identification. Some colors seem exactly the same under some light conditions, but are easily distinguishable when viewed under a bright cool white light. Daylight helps, but can be misleading as well.
    And then you have minor variations within one color, which are considered the same... but sometimes lie further apart than (old) light gray and medium stone gray. And some medium stone gray, after sun exposure, can look identical to (old) light gray.
    So indeed, using reference parts is important, but good lighting is necessary too.
  • Light Gray and Medium Stone Gray will be the death of me, @BelgiumBrickFloor
    And you’re so spot on about lighting! I’ll be holding two pieces of the same colour and the room light sometimes make them look slightly different!
  • My color blind husband occasionally helps me and he has so much trouble getting the basic colors right! I suggest using a ring light that you can adjust the tone and brightness. I use one on a tripod over my work area and makes a huge difference with the grays and browns I can see the difference immediately.
  • All I can say is: good luck! Even without color-blindness, I sometimes have a hard time differentiating between certain colors.