And Another Question - Handling Fees

edited June 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
OK, last question for tonight. I promise. Does BO support and allow sellers to charge a modest handling fee on SOME (not all) orders? Or do we need to build this into our shipping rates applicable to ALL orders?

I like to encourage my buyers to place larger bulkier easier to pick orders. One way I do this is by noting I may charge a handling fee of UP TO $1.00 on orders below a certain dollar amount or on orders with many low value lots (e.g. orders with an average lot value of less than $1.00). In setting up my BO shop, I don't see how I can do this here. Rather than charging a little extra to all my buyers via higher shipping rates, I prefer instead to pass the extra costs of such orders only on to those few who incur them.

Thor

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Read that page, and am still confused. I asked the question in a different thread.
  • Build it into your shipping prices.
  • Hi Jason. Yes, I understand I can build fees into my prices and shipping rates. But if I do so that means ALL my buyers will have to pay some fees. On BL, most of my buyers pay no fees. My thinking is that it is much more fair to charge modest fees only to those buyers who actually incur disproportionate expense for me by placing low value orders or orders with many low value lots. I believe people should pay their own way without being subsidized by others. Factoring the disproportionate or extra costs incurred by a minority of orders into item prices or shipping rates applicable to all spreads those costs among everyone and makes the majority of my buyers subsidize and pay for the extra costs incurred by only a few. I really would like the flexibility of passing those costs only on to those who actually incur them.

Oh well... If BO says no fees then I will have no fees. And if I do build them into my prices or shipping rates as you suggest, maybe I can just give a modest discount to the majority of my buyers who place orders that do not incur disproportionate time and expense. Kind of like B&M retailers who now get around charging fees for credit card use by offering cash payment discounts.

Thor
  • I go along with the idea to build it into the shipping prices a/o item prices. The current simplicity is great and it allows for quite easy comparison between different sellers. Fees of any kind will clutter the system and may also lead to endless discussions... Indeed some buyers may pay a little more than actual cost, and others may pay a little less, as long as it is reasonable and covers the cost of the seller it is fine by me.