New means NEW

A few days ago I received an order from a regular customer.
With a strange note. Asking that I make sure I only send NEW pieces.

I only sell new parts there are no used parts anywhere near my store. This being the first such message, I assumed something must have been wrong with their last order.
So I followed up with an assurance that all parts I sell are brand new. I received a response in return. Nothing wrong with an order from me... but apparently one or more stores have sent used parts as new.

That is unacceptable, to whomever is responsible, likely a newer member, please realize 99% of customers are knowledgable regarding LEGO product and they as well as those who have been in the business a while can easily identify used from new.

This doesn't just impact the offending store(s), it reflects on the venue too. It shouldn't be necessary for someone to ask that, nor anyone taking time to follow up.

NEW parts are brand new, minimally handled, and NEVER "clicked"

and "not sure" - even if it looks new to you = USED - always

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Firstly, I agree. But I want to raise one linguistic incongruity about NEW. Some people take NEW to mean the opposite of OLD. Others understand that NEW means not USED.

A number of months back, in a sale on the other site, a customer had a bit of a tiff about a large quantity of blue bricks they received. They contended that the parts were OLD and the color had faded (because bright lights). I responded that the source of the parts were various sets/buckets broken down between 2003-2006, so while they might have been older, they were not USED. And they had been stored where light/heat would not affect them. Certain ABS colors/batches, are not as color fast as others. I offered a full refund if they wanted to return them. Never heard anything more about it.
  • I couldn't agree more!
    Here is my short rant on that subject from a while ago: "Selling Used as New"
    https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/12345/selling-used-as-new-a-short-rant
  • Also should point out that 'New' means 'New as it comes from LEGO', not 'mint', and may occasionally have the tinyest of marks due to parts jostling in their origingal packaging.
  • Much of the language surrounding the parts is subjective and not objective. The opposite of "used" is "not used". I have socks from 2003 that have never been worn, but I'd not classify them as new. New is relative to "now" and always is a temporary state.

But as an example of subjective labeling, look at the 4495 "flag wave left" and "flag wave right". Wave left relative to what? Put aside that waves undulate. If one of these flags is rotated 180 degrees from right to left, is it a flag wave left waving right or a flag wave right waving left or a flag wave right waving right…? To properly describe the form, and differentiate between the two, an agreed upon initial orientation is required: Using a top-down view, with the piece oriented perpendicular to the viewer such that the stud portion is at the relative top and the banner is at the relative bottom, the banner curves first to the right from its connection point at the stud portion…but that is not succinct. So we get ambiguous but succinct in favor of cognitively accurate descriptions.

And LEGO doesn't always help with their sometimes giving a new catalog number to a part with an existing mold and other times keeping an existing catalog number for a revised mold.
  • @mfav To flesh out this story a bit more, back around 2003-2005 TLG was cleaning house. It was about the time that they stopped assembling sets in the Enfield, CT, USA facility. As part of that process, LEGO issued a few boxes and tubs that had the moniker "BONUS PARTS". They consisted of a basic array of bricks plates, and then some number of pcs that varied from one production run to another. Basically, TLG was using up all the odds and ends that were left over from the production runs, and exceeded what customer service would need for replacements.

In one specific set, 4562 which was called Creator Value Pack, the bonus parts came in 5 or 6 specific configurations. Those were purchased at rock bottom from a chain of US pharmacies, before most people had ever thought of selling the parts online. I broke down 200-300 of them. A couple of the parts were all over the map color-wise, there were (to me) quality rejects. But they were perfectly usable parts. If you did not have a hundred of them to compare, you would never know about the color issue.

Many of the blue bricks (mentioned above) came from those sets. I do not recall the blue parts having color issues, but they were not sold in a set where all the parts needed to match one another, so it is possible some of those might have had color issues. All of these parts were NEW, but some of them could have been 'second quality' for one reason or the other.

Another example of TLG having color issues was 8009 R2-D2. I broke down 20 or 30 when I first got some. There were a number of DK BLUE parts, where some were opaque dark blue, and others were translucent (not transparent) dark blue. TLG was having a serious problem with dark blue that year. I divided them up as best as possible, and listed them by what they were nearest to with a comment about the situation.
  • From BrickOwl t&c

New

Lego that is classed as New should have never been built or played with and is often taken directly from sealed Lego Sets. New items can contain some hairline scratches as Lego package parts all mixed in together but they should not have any major damage such as dents or chips. The items should ideally be as pristine and perfect as when they were first moulded and printed.
  • @Graham, right, but hardly anybody reads terms and conditions or cares. Terms and Conditions is typically legal cover-your-ass and not the first thing (or second thing, probably not *any* thing) that comes to anybody's mind when they need to buy some bricks to finish a set or a MOC. New can convey the T&C idea, but also the "opposite of old" idea. "New" within the seller community is idiomatic. If the distinction…the language on site…was between "used" and "not used" then the situation that you bring up, due to the perceptual interpretation of "new", as noted by Nita Rae, would be unlikely to happen.

As George Carlin said: "It's okay to prick your finger, but don't finger your prick."
  • An interesting conversation, all, and Graham - a great reminder for so many new sellers we have on the site!

For our new sellers, please be and stay honorable like 99.999% of your peers! :-) If you pulled it out of a sealed LEGO box or polybag and only sorted them, they're New (unless damaged in postal delivery, of course).

If it LOOKS spankin' new and is pristine, but you didn't pull it out of a sealed LEGO box or bag, that is the purpose of the USED - LIKE NEW category on this site. :-)

As Graham so rightly noted, all us sellers affect one another in terms of how prospective customers view the integrity of this terrific sales platform! People don't tend to think they had a bad experience with X seller (save the truly regular AFOL buyers), they tend to think they had a bad experience on X SITE. The more favorably the tightly-knit LEGO community views BO as a whole, the more customers that will give us a chance. :-)

It only takes one truly bad apple to get a negative Reddit thread on us (BO as a whole) going. :-(
  • @Graham The "never clicked" requirement that you mention can also be a slightly gray area. Many times I come across pieces that have attached in bag, especially heads to helmets. Should those no longer be considered new? If they can, then what's the difference between a head accidentally attaching to a helmet, and myself attaching it to the keep the minifigure together? (Not that I do that; just giving an example).

I would say that just about every seller does correctly list new as new and used as used. But there are those few extremely picky customers that expect new to be mint. I remember early on getting a customer who complained that I sold some used tiles as new because of some marks he spotted on them (at that time we only listed brand new pieces from sets so there was no way they were used). Come to find out after some correspondence that he uses magnifying glass to look for imperfections on pieces; of course he's going to find marks on new tiles if he does that!

So I wouldn't get too upset/worried that there are sellers who are listing incorrectly, whether on purpose or accident because of a customer or two who claim it happens.
  • edited January 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    A thought experiment. Imagine you purchased two identical, new and sealed Lego sets in 2017. You parted out one of them immediately and stored the parts safely in their dedicated drawers. Five years later you decided to part out the second, still sealed set. Are parts from both batches (if any) considered New in 2022? If not, when does a part stop being new? Do you keep record of how old the oldest parts in your stock are? Would you mix parts from 2017 and 2022?
  • I mix parts from the 1980s and 2020s. Parts and sets are new if they haven't been used.
  • @Pikka...very interesting point. I'm sure there are new parts in my store that have never sold and could be several years old now. At some point will they not be "new"? I don't think I'm organized enough to know when I enter each lot and when not to add that lot to one that has been there for several years.
  • Never would have thought this could end up so complex a discussion...

@firestar246 to have fully connected parts in a new set is extremely rare, some maybe loosely attached, on minifigs personally I feel that if a fig is being sold new/assembled it should at least be noted. Parts out of a new/sealed set will always be "new"

@Pikka I think you are conflating new/old with new/used - new/old is still new, no matter how long its sat in inventory

@Hoddie exactly!

My original point wasn't to debate these rather unusual points. Simply (please) don't sell used parts as new, which is what was done to my aforementioned customer.
  • I'm with Hoddie - I'm about the sealed state vs. the mold year, for what it's worth. I believe the BO terms of service make pretty clear "new" means unused vs. age...? With that said of course, if I cracked open a 50-year-old sealed LEGO set and the bricks looked discolored (even without sun exposure) due to the type of plastic used then, I'd definitely rethink a new listing for those.
  • edited January 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Hoddie Yes, the same identical part, in the same color, could be co-mingled across a span of 20 years. Trying to keep them inventoried and listed, by a specific vintage, would be a nightmare. And honestly, we have no knowledge of when the part was actually molded. We are only making a conjecture based on the age of the set.
  • I have received "new" parts with SIGNIFICANT playwear from a seller. When I contacted the store in question, I received a refund for the parts I'd mentioned (maybe 10% of the "new" bricks actually looked like they might be new), but in reality, the whole order should have probably been refunded. It made me re-think my ordering because I don't want that to happen again.

I realize there might be some slight scratching on new parts because of how they're packaged by LEGO, but this was clearly heavy playwear. How do sellers get away with this? I'd be embarrassed to sell bricks that looked like that and were listed as "new." If my parted-out bricks are too scratched, I wouldn't list them as new, even if they were. It's just bad business.
  • New parts can only come from sealed sets. I know you can get new from PAB wall in the shop, but I have had mixed experiences with these and they can be a bit marked.

With regards used, on BO we can list them in different conditions and the like new category is there for those parts which look new but have come from a display build etc

People trying it on selling used as new just spoils the integrity of the site and tars all sellers with the same brush.
  • > I realize there might be some slight scratching on new parts because of how they're packaged by LEGO

It's more than merely packaging.

1. The part is molded and ejected from the mold.

2. The part exists (for some period of time) in a large container with others of the same element number (design + color).

3. The part is then handled by the assembly systems, which count, collate, and seal bags.

4. The bag of parts now residing in a set box/polybag/blister/etc, is moved around from warehouse to warehouse to retail to customer.

5. The customer may open it immediately, or may store for some time.

I recently parted out some 4400-1 tubs, which had been in my inventory for over 15 years.