Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It going to be interesting as they basically are going to up they lot count in a big way. After reading the full story I noticed the part about pricing THAT the one that is GOING to be more WORRYING as they mention they are going to be dropping prices on a number of items. If they were to go of the other site that they own for current pieces that going to have a massive effect on us.

Eg take a 1 x 2 plate for example currently alot of them go for well under lego's pick a brick price. If lego were to drop to the OTHER sites avg it basically kills off the other site or here for a cheaper source for them parts. Just using this as an example.

That what going to be more interesting to watch their pricing....
  • One of the often underappreciated parts of TLG's acquisition of BL has to do with analytics. I don't know if they are actually using it or not, but they have access to a wealth of data concerning wish lists and buying patterns, The comment (above) about pricing suggests that they could be acting upon that data.

I'm not saying they are spying on individuals, but they well could be discovering buying trends by age groups, that were never apparent before.
  • I'm actually worried about the opposite. Certain items on the secondary market have over a double value resale compared to TLG pricing (ignoring new colors or pieces). If TLG does match it could mean an increase in pricing. I've been told by a LEGO employee that their pricing is based on cost and stock (their price changes quite a bit). If they decide to make more money to cover the employees to pick the orders it could remove all reasons for consumers to go to the secondary market.

I focus on accuracy and quick turnaround. Something that TLG will struggle with as they do know, but if they modify their price structure it's going to kill a lot of secondary stores.

Tyson
  • A bit of history ...

BL (then BB) started out not because people wanted to bust down sets, but because some builders wanted quantity of specific parts. So they went out and bought the sets containing those parts, then would up with lots of excess other parts. BB was launched on the premise that those excess parts could find homes elsewhere.

Prior to BB, there were part sales and/or parts auctions being done on LUGNET and rec.toys.lego. Those were only semi-organized. In the beginning there was only r.t.l, LUGNET, and LDRAW (and possibly peeron).

In the beginning, finding the parts you wanted, in quantity, was very difficult.
  • Lego may reduce some prices but not to levels that will drastically affect BO/BL. Their main business will remain sets, and the sum of all parts in a set must make the set worth buying. If it becomes only a little more expensive to buy everything from B&P, buyers would just do that instead, not buying whatever they already have plenty of.
  • Empty shelf in store, price of new sets going up, barely any sets in special. Ouff, even my usual supplier is short on stock. But most of sellers price are from 2-3 years ago average including me. I think we are on a way for a nice ride .

Lego revealed "Additionally, we’ll improve the shipping time in the US and Canada by implementing a new fulfilment area in our US warehouse. This will reduce shipping time for our top 1,600 elements from 13-18 working days to up to 5 working days.

That will hurt many of us. One thing for sure, if there's money to be done by Lego on parts, they will go for it .
  • ... and that's why they bought BrickLink! Surprise!
  • Looking at it now live. I don't see too much to worry about. Navigation is terrible at least on iPad. Selection limited.