US to Canada shipping weight bands

When shipping to Canada, via USPS, there is a zone-like destination price column. USPS calls it 'Price Groups'. To determine which price group applies to a shipment, you must know the USPS 3-digit zip prefix and the Canada Post postal code (possibly the first 3 digits also). Which price group applies is based on the distance the package must travel (US shipper to Canada destination), but see below.

It appears that the existing Brick Owl shipping bands are unable to handle this. When using the USPS weight bands for USA shipping, I have to enter my 3-digit zip code prefix, but there is no place to do that for Canada weight bands.

The Canada subregions is presumably for packages being shipped internal to Canada.

USPS has this ...

> Price zones for Priority Mail International to Canada are based on the distance of the origin ZIP Code to the serving international service center (ISC).

There are five USPS ISC facilities ... New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Other than ordering a zone chart, it's not clear which one serves which part of Canada. One of the ISC (Miami) would be zone 3 or 4 from me. Two (New York and Chicago) would be zone 5. The other two (San Francisco and Los Angeles) would be zone 8.

So I'm a bit lost, because the USPS zone bands will not apply (because Canada postal code) and the Canada subregions, I can't map to USPS ISC. Can anyone shed some light on how to do this ?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As it turns out, this may not be as large a problem as I thought it would be. Looking at USPS Notice 123 for PMI-Canada, all the rates (for a given weight, across a row) are identical. So it seems that USPS laid out a way to make them vary, but is not currently implementing it.

Then I found a USPS page for an International Zone Chart:

https://postcalc.usps.com/InternationalZoneChart

It tells me that all 26 single character Canada Post prefixes are zone-4 (which is likely ISC Miami). So my Canada Rates appear to be Price Group 1.4, but (for today) that is semi-irrelevant, because USPS is pricing all Canadian price groups the same.

So I guess I use the Canadian subregions, and put the Price Group 1.4 rates into it.
  • Unfortunately, I don't ship to Canada, so have no insight to offer... any other US sellers ship to Canada?
  • Just for your information, the first postal code digit indicates the province. eg. Alberta = T