derating of weight bands

Is the Shipping setup screen, there is a comment "If you set your shipping by weight band, you should adjust the bands by 10% - 20% to account for packaging"

The USPS bands for FCPS are 0-4, 4.01-8, 8.01-12, and 12.01-15.99.

Am I understanding that correctly that I should enter 0-3.2, 3.21-6.4, 6.41-9.6, and 9.61-12.19 ?

Plus potentially do the same for the PM, etc bands ?

I just received an order, where it dropped it into the second band, I know it will require the third, and possibly the fourth.

Going slightly off-topic ...

Part of the problem involved here, is that some LEGO parts have a volume, that is out of proportion to their weight. Over at BL, they attempted to do something about weight based and volume based, but my experience is that it missed the mark. Volume and weight do not take into account the ability of some parts to randomly nest, or even consume additional space. One example is the common 2x4 brick. Even if you account for the volume (H*W*L), larger quantities require an out of proportion physical space (due to all the random void space between bricks). Stacking them tightly together gets closer to the calculated volume, but I do not believe the average customer wants to receive them like that (not to mention the seller having to stack them for each order).

So every part has something I call a 'clumping factor' ... it is a number above or below 1.0 that describes how the calculated volume for one part translates into the volume requirement for a larger quantity of that same part. I suspect that TLG is also aware of this, as they can roughly estimate how many of a given design number will fill a K8.

End of off-topic

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @nita_rae

This method hasn't failed me yet. See photo. (Other than if I decide the part(s) are fragile and need extra packaging) Also I recently switched to average price per weight band, rather than having to go through and keep modifying prices for all the zones. Also means shipping is the same on both venues.

HTH

Graham
  • edited January 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The good news is that we can place size constraints for a shipping band, which kind of addresses the issue of really large, odd LEGO parts, where the package itself may bump the price due to irregular sizing, etc.

Similar to Graham, I have my own standard approach which rarely fails me... mine are all shared (go to My Store > Settings > Shipping and see the blue Shared Shipping Bands (or whatever it's called) button on the upper right. For first class, I basically pad the order's weight starting at 1/2 oz for smaller weights, and increasing that incrementally in larger bands due to larger packaging used (plus more internal packing, such as polybags). I use a similar principle under Parcel Select Ground, though that pads using a pound and increments upward.

So from 0 to 0.5 ounces in parts, I charge 1 oz for shipping. For 0.51 to 1.5 oz in parts, I charge 2 oz for shipping. And so on (see example attached). I've attached a snip of my shared FCPS bands and how I pad as well as a shot of my entire shipping schema and padding (unsure if that will even be legible). I basically charge actual cost (with weight padded) plus $0.50 to cover packaging costs and so on. What I attached is from the 2021 holiday rates (I haven't calced out 2022 yet, but I will be this weekend and updating my shared shipping bands accordingly).

I hope between Graham and myself, some of this is of help, Nita! I did find setting up shipping to be the toughest thing here to wrap my ahead around for some reason, but 3 1/2 years in, I haven't lost money and tend to come out a bit ahead - more than enough to cover the occasional shipping refund when say my inventory is missing an item from an order.
  • For now, I'm going to de-rate by 20% and watch what happens going forward.

Since I sell sets and parts both, I have to consider how each will play into shipping. There is no way on Brick Owl to shunt sets to one track of shipping fees, and let parts go down a different track. Over on BL, I connived a way to achieve that, but it was done by making sets look like a very tiny part (1mm^3) and then make a shipping method with really small dimensions. Needless to say, I was pushing the limits, and expected it to break at any time, but it's held so far. One of the admins mentioned they're doing a rewrite of shipping, so we'll see how that turns out.

On Brick Owl, I have no way to do that, as individual lots do not have override dimensions. My sets have been entered with an override weight here, which represents the weight of the set and of an appropriate box. What that means, is that sets which normally ship FCPS, are going to have the box counted twice ... once in the override weight and once in the de-rated band. At this point, I'm not going to derate the PM bands, so the medium to larger sets are going to behave as desired. If I detect a problem with any of the FCPS shippable sets, I may shift the weight bands to 15% de-rate instead of 20%.

That we actually have zones is fantastic. Only one other site (not BL) was supporting that, and they were doing it via USPS API calls, which occasionally timed out causing shipping to not work as desired. The BO system is superior. Being in one corner of the country, makes it really difficult to find a blended weight scale, which is acceptable to all buyers.
  • "My sets have been entered with an override weight here, which represents the weight of the set and of an appropriate box"

@nita_rae How do you set an override weight on BO?
  • @Mrs Swoop Go to an inventory page, for any listing you have. Over to the right there is a 4-wide options (Normal, Advanced, Price History, History). Click on Advanced. Then you should see a field Weight. In that enter the weight for the item plus the appropriate container. Do not do this for parts or small light objects, as you will then repetitively be incurring the container weight for every item in the shopping cart.

As for sets, and because they consume more volume than parts, incurring several smaller containers is probably close enough to the truth (for a multiple set order) than it would be otherwise.
  • Ok, I think someone has pointed that out to me before but I've never had to use it.

I didn't understand from your OP what the problem was, why the order you described should be in a different band, but from the conversation is it about the size of the parcel? As Calibrick said you can control the size limits for each shipping method so if that is the problem I don't understand why you don't use that to achieve the desired shipping method.
  • @Mrs Swoop The original order was for parts. Parts have only an item weight, not the tare weight of the container. So an order with some moderate quantity of parts, weighed 7.76 oz. That weight did not include the container, which pushed it up to ~10 ozs, and into a different weight band. I don't mind charging exact shipping, but I would like it to be the right shipping. To do that, you have to account for the weight of the container (by some means). De-rating the weight bands in one method.

Having said all the above, look at the Catalog entry for 32448. That part does not have much weight (33.9 gms / 1.2 ozs), but it is physically huge (compared to a 2x2 brick). Even with de-rating of the bands, it will still calculate I can ship that in the lowest FCPS band. Ummm, no. By the time I put it into a proper box, I'm into the second band, possibly the third. So for that part, I have to do the rare instance of overriding the weight on a part, to force it to a more appropriate weight band at checkout.

Back to your original question, about the size dimensions. Nothing in that, or the above description, account for the weight of the packaging. It has to be figured in somehow, somewhere, because USPS is certainly going to count it. Many people use bubble mailers, but I stick with small cardboard boxes. I even have a box so small, that it can hold a few plates, or 2-3 minifigs. See ULine S-2457 for more information about that one. It also has a tare weight of 0.992 ozs / 28.1 gms. For the smallest orders, it's perfect. For Catalog item 32448, it is not even close to large enough to hold the item.

HTH
  • Yes, the way to account for the weight of the packaging is by reducing the weight allowed in each shipping method. It's not an exact science but we all work out our own reduction rates based on our usual packaging, e.g. if my boxes are heavier than yours I would need to reduce my weight limits more. e.g. if you're using a delivery service that has a weight band of 0-4oz and the box you would most often use for that weight weighs 1oz then you might set your shipping method limit to 2.8oz (to allow for variations/other packaging/weight discrepancies on BO) so that when it's all boxed up it's still under 4oz.

Your second point is where the size limits on shipping methods come into play. You set the maximum size that can be shipped under that method so that if the order is larger it would need to use a different shipping method that allows for the size and where the weight accounts for a larger and therefore heavier box.
  • @Mrs Swoop

> You set the maximum size that can be shipped under that method

But where do you get that size from ? If you are referring to what the carrier specifies, it can be excessively large. If you're talking about the packing box size, I have 10-12 different 'brown boxes' that could be used for FCPS (and that does not even include the ones where the box tare weight is so high it takes it out of FCPS). I'm not saying that specifying the size is wrong, but it does force you to make choices.

This is where we arrive at a fork in the road ... is it better to solve the problem on the listed lot, or on the shipping method ? In the beginning, on BL, I tried to solve it by making a different shipping method for each box. At that time I had 50-60 unique boxes sizes (but now I'm down to 40-ish, and trying to shed more sizes). The reason I had so many, is that I really was trying to fit the box to the shipment. Trying to run 50-60 shipping methods (over on BL) was unwieldy, it was a minor nightmare to keep them all tuned correctly. Eventually, I gave up, and just went towards a small number of weight bands, and let the chips fall where they may, plus fixing the problem lots on the lots themselves.

Thus far, I've seen no site that got it perfectly right. I think BO is closer to the grail than BL is. I also sold on another site (not AMZN or EBAY) that has a very limited shipping system. There I had to cut all kinds of corners to end up with something that was correct the majority of the time (sets were OK, parts were a massive mess). BO is better, trust me.
  • As far as size is concerned I'm talking about what the carrier specifies, because if you go over that size they will charge more. If you're talking about different size boxes which would therefore have different weights but the order comes within the same weight band I do pretty much as Calibrick described above. I started off making assumptions about the likely packaging required based on the weight of orders and set my weight bands accordingly. As I said before, some orders don't fit the pattern but most do. I also keep a check on my postage costs and adjust them sometimes to make sure the settings are still about right and that overall I'm not making either a loss or too much of a profit from the shipping fees.