Non-arrival items ... report after 4 months?

Hi all,
I've been around a few years as a seller. It has happened an order didn't arrive after a few weeks; in most cases it arrived a little later; in other cases I did a refund.
What never has happened: a low amount order (€0.27 items + €2.75 shipping) was reported as never arrived after it was placed more than 4 months ago. Yes, months! The buyer opened an issue just now (without contacting me first) and has a reputation of 1 positive feedback (being my own feedback).

I will refund the amount, but still, I am quite surprised by this. Anybody else experienced a simular situation?
(And on this topic, I do would like a feature where I can indicate an order and a buyer as a "non-arrival", so the system could start to spot patterns for certain buyers, if relevant)

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can log an issue via the More Actions menu from the order.
  • Was there any tracking ? The relatively low shipping cost suggests not.
  • I would not be quick to refund wait till the buyer puts a pay pal claim (or request they do) in that way you can claim back under seller protection as long as you took photos of the package and the address on it etc. Under pay pal seller protection you only need to prove the package was sent to the paypal mailing address it does not need to arrive or need tracking to claim but is handy if you grab a lodgement rec from the post office.
  • I recently had a buyer tell me TEN months after the fact! In my case, it was only $5US and I had no reason to disbelieve them... some people order a LOT and they can lose track. Though it weirded me out sooooooooo long down the road, to be honest. Similarly, they had little feedback (most of their buys are on the other site) in my case. I did have tracking on my order, and it never showed arrival, which made it far easier for me to make a judgment on.

I took them at their word and refunded them - but they showed the courtesy of contacting me first.

They're clearly a newer buyer in your case - they may have assumed jumping right to an issue report was the proper process vs. contacting you first. I had a buyer submit an issue report against my store to reach me to tell me they needed to change the shipping address (hey, to them, getting that info to me was an "issue", using that form made sense to them) - I was assured by Lawrence it doesn't count against me in any way, they're used to look for patterns of rip-off sellers or sellers that require counseling to assure BO's marketplace reputation. So I wouldn't stress over that aspect.

Or they are a younger buyer and don't have the critical thinking to go "maybe I should contact the seller first."

In your shoes, if you did not have tracking - and its such a low amount - I would do exactly what you are - I would simply respond to the issue report with "buyer did not attempt to contact me first", refund them, then write it off your taxes and call it a day. There's not really much you can do here without tracking - if you have tracking showing arrival, that is a different story IMHO.
  • Thanks for the replies everybody!
    Will refund and move on (and maybe give the buyer a hint to contact a seller first before opening a case :-))
  • @bricksonthemove

Maybe different there. Here PayPal require proof of delivery to the address provided
  • @Graham that stupid there no point to seller protection for you guys in the US if that the case. If you guys need to prove delivery. Here in Australia we only need to prove it was sent to the pay pal shipping address they give. So if package is lost in the mail we can claim back as well as the buyer on that MIA package leaving neither party out of pocket for it...
  • @graham just read the US terms for seller protection the same applies to you guys in the US you only need to show you shipped on a lost package claim. terms can be found here https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/seller-protection
  • Hi @Bricks On The Move ,
    Hi @Graham ,
    I remember it used to be "proof of delivery" (to the address matching the PayPal account's address of the buyer). I believed this was still the case, but based on your reply, I verified the TOC (Belgium, Europe) and indeed: proof of shipment is sufficient now. (https://www.paypal.com/be/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#pp-seller-protection)

Still, in case of an untracked shipping method, I don't think a simple picture will be accepted as "proof of shipment".