buying the missing bricks

Hey everyone.

As a store owner and seller of sets, i am beginning to thin out of my recent brick collection and sorting. Sadly leaving me with a few sets now that are missing a bunch of bricks.

For instance i have the indiana jones set 7627, i have some friends sets and others. But i am missing 64 bricks for 7627.
So my question is, would you / should i, try to sell the set as incomplete and see if that goes, or would i be better of, trying to buy the missing bricks, and make myself better cash by selling it as a complete set.

Suggestions are welcome of all kinds :-)

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depends on the set. Friends sets aren't as high value, and are most likely going to be bought by parents/grandparents for children and may not care if a couple minor pieces aren't there. It probably wouldn't be worth the money and shipping costs you'd pay for to get the few pieces.

On the other hand, the Indiana jones set is a lot older and probably in demand by collectors who would want the entire set, no missing pieces.
  • I was also thinking about people maybe being incomplete sets for "fun" to either part them out for the "special" parts or add them to an existing set of the same type / Lego world
  • I think if I was going to buy an incomplete set I'd want to know exactly what is missing so I could work out how much I'd need to spend on top of the set price. It may work out cheaper to buy a complete set from another seller rather than having to go to numerous other stores with potentially minimum lot/order limits and loads of shipping costs. Plus, it's irritating as hell when I see listings here and on BL for incomplete sets with no indication of what's missing; "99% complete" - ?? Is it maybe the really expensive Minifigure, or the crucial small part that holds the whole thing together?

I think it's a personal judgement call. As @firestar246 says, it may be a little extra work on your part to source the missing parts, but you can then charge a better price for it.
  • I would of cause have a full list of the missing bricks. and if a buyer is interested i would write those missing parts.

Most of all, it is if others have done this. Sold sets that are not complete, could they be sold at all, or have they been for sale in the shop for ever ;-)