Would You Wait 10 Months to Tell a Seller You Never Received Your Order?

I received a message today from an occasional BO user that an order they placed in February was never received.

Unfortunately this is one of those orders where USPS never scanned the package (I get that out here for entire batches sometimes, sigh), so I certainly can't say on my end that the buyer did ten months back, and I will happily take them at their word (we're talking $6 including shipping here, it's not a big deal) and refund them once they reverify this is the order and message they intended to send me.

It just strikes me as a bit odd. I mean ten months later? Admittedly, I know that I get REALLY busy, forget about stuff, etc., so I could totally see me letting something like this go for a few months before I remembered, but wow, just so long?

Just wondering if any folks have any thoughts on this? Maybe I just wanted to share my surprise. :-)

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a buyer, I can get a bit behind on following up on orders. From time to time, I look at my wanted list and think "Hey, didn't I order this part in the past?" and go to look for orders I placed in the past. So I can relate to a long time between placing and following up. But 10 months is indeed very long.

If I was the seller in this case, I would do refund, since it's such a small amount. But also: when informing the buyer of the refund, friendly ask the buyer for a bit more background info on the long time, just out of curiosity.
  • That's a great idea, thanks for the thought, Gaston!
  • I would be curious as to why they would even tell you they never received it. If it were me, I'd be too embarrassed to even ask for a refund for something I ordered 10 months ago and forgot about. For such a small amount, I doesn't seem like a "scam" , but you never really know.
  • I asked politely for a verification, but I think they still took it a bit defensive - but I did cheerfully refund them. :-)
  • 10 months is a bit long. They would not even be able to put a paypal claim in for it not rocking up. Their cut off is at 180 days.
  • Oh, that's really strange. Never had this long time before. The longest time was around 2 months. But I could show the buyer that it was delivered to him a few days after order was placed (tracking was available). I described him the package and its dimension we have used.
    Never heard back from this person - seems that he/she found it somewhere in the corner.

End of October / beginning of November we have received a lot of message from customers from Australie and New Zealand that the shipments have not arrived. There had been some problems with Deutsche Post which we could follow up. In these cases without tracking we have refund the amount, with tracking we have requested an investigation at Deutsche Post.

But if a customer would claim after 10 months I would decline this request that the time is too long for a claim. If he/she has such a chaotic system at home and does not recognize if something has been delivery, this cannot be our fault (this is nothing I would write to him/her).

Strange people living on this planet, really.
  • bricks-shop is Aussie here just a heads up our postal system is stuffed atm so back logged it taking months to get anything into the country as they had to close a lot of the sorting centres due to covid positive cases. I would say your packages are caught up in this backlog. It was that bad we could not even sent a package from my town to one a few towns over without taking 2-3 weeks. But on a bright note it appears the postage system here is starting to finally starting to move again
  • Ugh, so sorry to hear about the postal challenges in Australia and New Zealand, folks, but glad to see at least Australia may be starting to move again?

And thank you all for letting me share my concern - normally I am super laid back and unquestioning (I tend to trust people until proven otherwise <s>), this just was kind of a weird situation I had never run across! :-)
  • I'm sure I would refund in these circumstances, but I have to say, I would be pissed off if the buyer waited so long I could no longer do anything about it with the Post Office. I would say 10 months is a bit out of order.
  • edited December 2021 Vote Up0Vote Down
  • I like to think I offer good customer service, but under no circumstances would I refund someone who came to me 10 months after I shipped.
  • @Hoddie I have a new buyer ade1055 who placed order on 28th Nov and posted on 29th which only few days ago start demanding threats for refund for lost package? I told him that it only few days ago I posted it and with Xmas, staff shortages and etc so wait until to the end of the month to make refund. He refused and demanded threat to me in 2 day time to refund him if no package come. He claiming to work with Royal Mail so he should know that there longer delays on some packages. Few orders were lost but refunded after 1 to 2 months with very patient and honest buyers.
  • Wow, you have a super impatient buyer, Jiries! So sorry to hear that... most people are reasonable and are happy to have you implement tracking options first (or at least give busy postal people time to deliver as we're now in the holiday shipping season) before jumping to requesting a refund. :-(