Help needed please for correct molds

Morning
I am struggling with the 1x1 with clip (44860 / 60897)
Just when I think I have the mold correct a customer comes back and says i have sent the wrong mold. Thin/thick open etc .
Can anyone please advise how I can see the difference please?
I have tried looking at pics to be honest they all look the same
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A perfect demonstration of why we struggle with variants.

Type Q on that link identifies as 4085c, presumably a BL reference (I do not understand the description at the bottom)
    On BL 4085c is a Thick 'U', but there's a picture that shows the differences and 4085c isn't the same as the type Q, that would be a 4085d.
    BO also has a picture of the differences - hats off to whoever did that btw - which shows that type Q is a Thick Open 'O'.

Basically, the 'U' types have a flattened top to the clip edges, the 'O' types are rounded.
  • What @Mrs Swoop said. Honestly, I think the "o" clips should be renamed to "C" clips, as that is what they actually look like.
  • That link has the BL part numbers for type Q and R switched. Q is 4085d and R is 4085c.
  • Same goes for 30241/60475 and 30241b/60475b
  • Those indeed look switched.
    @mfav could you look into that (as far as I know it's your site :))
  • @Baskrie @paulvdb Yep, my errors. Corrected image uploaded.

@firestar246 I had a similar conversation with BL catmin randyf about the O designation prior to my exit from the platform. I was told it is "open o" clips and not open "o clips". IIRC randy agreed with the idea to change "open o" to C. But somewhere up the BL food chain there is heavy resistance to changing anything because of secret reasons which cannot be explained.
  • Yeah. Open O. Why the other one is Open U I don't know. I would think plain old U and C would suffice, but when the Closed U and Closed O clips come around, they're prepared. I guess.
  • I love your guides, thank-you, I have most printed out on my wall. Never noticed the clip discrepancy but I don't sell on BL any more so that's probably why.

It's so typical of BL to come up with a nonsense reason rather than actually change things for the better. Don't miss the place at all.
  • @BasKrie great thank you (sorry for slow reply).
  • I made this up for clips. Type a through d from left to right. I found it a great help to have a physical check to compare to.
  • Somebody would have to go a ways to convince me that 4085d’s are actually a thing. I don't have a single "open o" 1x1 plate stamped with 4085 and the "open o" ones I do have are 60897 (with a rounded end) and 44860 (with a flattened end). Tomorrow there will be another version with another very slight difference. Here’s to all the sellers who separate the variants and satisfy the purists.
  • ^After so many years of dealing with "4085" parts in all their variety, it's difficult to remember the new 5-digit part number belongs to the open-O clip version, even though it's technically correct...

And as a collector of older sets who tries to keep everything contemporary to the release dates, I also appreciate it when the older variants are listed separately, thanks all sellers!