Second combined order is basically me giving parts away

I've had this happen a couple of times now and I'm currently looking for a way to not make it happen again.

Here's what happens:

1. Customer places an order.
2. Customer forgot a part and places a second order for the missing piece.
3. The second order is for $0.17 because of combined orders.

On the second order I'm basically handing over the parts for little to no money in MY pocket.

Paypal takes the fee of $0.10 (thankfully I have a micropayments account or else it would be $0.50), I'm annoyed that because of a second transaction I have to pay the base fee again.
BrickOwl takes their fee of $0.01 (0.00425 but I rounded to an actual penny)

That's 65% of the value of the part in fees.

I'd prefer it if a second order has to meet a minimum value to be placed, say $1.00, or not allowed at all.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can set an order combining fee, it's in the order settings. Mine is set to the PayPal flat fee plus a little bit.
  • @Mrs Swoop Put yourself down for a raise. That was exactly what I was looking for.
  • @ralphs_bricks look into setting up a "Dynamic" Micropayments account with PayPal, if you haven't already. It was part of the changes they rolled out at the beginning of August 2021. Before it was "Static" Micropayments. But with Dynamic, they automatically apply whichever fee option is lower. No need for 2 separate PP accounts to have a micro and a regular.

I agree with you on the concern about losing $ on small additions to existing orders, I had the same concern after my first few orders. It wouldn't be a problem if the initial order hadn't been paid yet.
  • @ralphs_bricks Part of the reason you lose money on the second order, is because the PayPal implementation is doing the authorize + capture in one step. IOW, the first order has already captured the payment, which invokes the fees. The Stripe implementation is different, and might be a way to work around this.