"Sale going on" list

I always want to please my customers or at least possible customers.
That is why i in my time of being here have been having a lot of different sales. BUT i always find my sale periods to be almost the same as my normal ones, no matter the season i do this in.

So i was thinking if it could be possible to make a new list on the front page of Brick Owl with "featured Sale Stores" or something like that. At the moment the only way we as a store owner can show we have a sale going, is writing on the forum, and the front page of our own store. But as a customer, who would scour the forum for a sale, or know which store had a sale, when this is the only option.

So would it be something to consider to make this into a feature. Then maybe each store owner could write to the Brick Owl email and tell that this store has a sale, and it could be added to the list. Or something like that :-)

At least i would like a feature like this, since i am also a frequent buyer of Lego from this site.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • While I conceptually like it, what's to stop stores from doing what normal stores frequently do and pricing their inventory high then marking them all down, calling it a sale to get front-page visibility? Just something to ponder, I can see that soooooo easily being gamed, unfortunately. And to be honest, don't the vast majority of us have some items on sale at the least 100% of the year? So there'd be thousands of stores to list.

A guaranteed way to get featured on the home page is to contribute to the BO catalog...save up your points and cash them in for being featured for a month (that is what I do during peak sales seasons). :-) It's guaranteed and easy.

Just something to ponder?
  • Well stores "cheating" like that is a thing on it's own. And me being all nice, or so so do not hope anyone would do that. (At least i do not)

But if anything, sale wise, i just find my own shops possible ways of noting the buyer that i have a sale going being to small. I can often see buyers coming from other sites, or almost just made an account to be able to buy. And i would really like both new and recurring customers to know that a sale is going on. Not just by writing on my front page of the shop, but maybe in the check out or something, to really get the info out there.

That is at least what i have thought about.
  • I have always wanted the option to add a custom note on-screen at checkout for customers, or in customer carts (kind of like our Page option - something static that would show for all customers). Maybe that's an option that could support this?

Again tho, the thing with sale items, I suspect most of us (1500 stores) have sale items all year long; for example, I have certain items on permanent markdown due to their condition that does not satisfy BO's condition definitions. That uses the sale checkbox for the item, so technically I have a "sale" 24/7, ya know? :-) So that is an innocent and appropriate use of a sale.

You could try personal communication options too, such as social media?

Another option is BO's newer feature where you can host your own BO store on your own web site, which might then allow you to add additional features to your home page? I think there is a fee for that, but you could have the web site http://www.malnaborg.com which still operates your store via BO but is your own web site.
  • Yes it could be something like that. (have you checked if this store have a sale code) ? - ish :-D

And i do not have a webpage on my own, but nice to know that the domain is available :-P
  • @Malnaborg I just remembered, there is another place customers see sale items. On the catalog entries. So say I'm looking for 10 2x8 blue plates, and I go to that catalog item, your listing (if marked on sale with a reduced price), has a little sale tag icon next to it. :-)
  • I've often wondered when I see sales posts in the forum- does it really make a difference if you advertise a sale? Do people really browse for sale items? I ask because I don't shop like that for Lego, when I need pieces I look them up (or use a wishlist) and make a decision on price and store, but whether it's just a good price or it's on sale doesn't matter to me. Am I missing a trick here?
  • I shop the same as you, Mrs. Swoop - I usually am shopping for something super-specific (such as parting out a set), so store with the best pricing, assortment against my wish list (to limit the number of shipping costs split among stores) and feedback pretty much always wins. :-)

I'm sure there are buyers that are looking for gifts and such though, I can see that appealing to them (though not generally for parts I would think, more like minifigs, sets, and gear?).
  • And that's the thing. For my store at least, I go by sets and often have sales for these. But I have now had up to 4 people buying sets, without using the sale code.

And I would want both myself but also my customers to know that they can apply a code and get a discount.
  • @Malnaborg Try setting the actual item on sale instead of the coupon...
This discussion has been closed.