US Sellers: Is USPS actually scanning your tracked shipments??

Hi all! Here in sunny Southern California, I'm seeing all orders - even PRIORITY MAIL - no longer being scanned by USPS (at receipt, at distro centers, anywhere along the line) EXCEPT at the point of delivery.

A priority mail shipment took a solid week and required a search initiated; I have orders vanishing, though thank goodness the vast majority are magically arriving.

Is anyone else seeing this sudden change in behavior the past month or or so or have I angered the mail deities? :-)

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not a US seller, but shipping quite a lot – as International Registered Mail – to our US buyers. It seems that USPS tracks every step along the way, no exception - check the attached image.

"When mail is registered internationally and is inbound for the United States, it will be handled in the domestic First-Class Mail mailstream from the point that USPS obtains it until it reaches the local Postal Office responsible for mail delivery."
    Source - https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Registered-Mail-International
  • I haven't noticed anything, but I'm afraid I don't keep myself updated very well...it triggers my anxiety/paranoia when I see delays from USPS. ;)

I've got four shipments in transit right now:
    #1: Arrived at USPS facility (Flint, MI)
    #2 - 4: Departed post office (Kansas City, KS)...literally 30 min. ago.
  • Forgot to mention all four of mine are standard 1-3 oz First Class packages. Not sure if that adds weight to my comment, but figured I'd mention it.
  • Hmmm wonder if this is unique to SoCal... San Diego distro center used to be terrific, as was the Chula Vista original point of pickup/dropoff... suddenly crickets. And no-shows for pick-ups. But also I ship cross-country constantly and none of those are being scanned anywhere along the line save one got a distro center scan in TX at one point.

For reference, I use bar coded labels like many of us (I print via PayPal). Really weird and unusual (I actually have a lot of respect for USPS employees, their job has been super-challenging the past few years!).
  • I don't check every package, but when I do check, they seem to have been scanned at every step along the way. I've only had 1 or 2 instances over the last year that I had checked and they hadn't scanned them in. I ship from Kansas to all over the country
  • For me it depends on the drop off location. I used to alternate between a bigger town, and a small local postoffice. The small local post office scans everything within 30 mins of dropping them off. The bigger town items are sometimes not scanned until distribution center, or even until delivery.

In the beginning I asked for a receipt, so everything is scanned as I drop them off, but now I only do that for expensive (>250 usd) or international orders.
  • Everything I order or ship is tracked all the way from start to finish, except one order I placed and my assumption is that the seller never shipped it. It has been two weeks from OR to WA, that seems not right ;-)