PayPal payment - status "pending"

edited July 2021 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
Two days ago I received an order from a first-time buyer from Puerto Rico (Feedback: 0, Account Age: 2 days 2 hours). He payed with PayPal, the payment has been received – but is still filed under Pending (image attached). This is the first time I experienced situation like this.

I've searched the PayPal FAQ and found five reasons a payment may be on hold. None of the following applies:
1. You’re a new seller with PayPal
2. You haven't sold anything in a long time
3. Customers filed formal complaints for a refund, dispute, or chargeback
4. You have a suspicious selling pattern
5. You're selling riskier items

The order status is still Payment submitted (image attached).
Should I mark it as Payment received and start processing the order?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No. If Paypal think it's not complete yet then you don't have the money so I wouldn't send the order.

There is another reason for it being pending and it's to do with the buyers source of funds, I think it's when it has to come from a bank account. I had one a while ago, I'll see if I've still got any of the info but it took about 2 weeks to actually get the payment. I messaged the buyer to explain why I wasn't shipping the order straightaway just in case they didn't realise and then again when the payment came in. But I did get an email from Paypal telling me it was pending and not to send the order until it was confirmed.
  • It was what Paypal call an eCheque payment. This is what the email said -

It usually takes about 5-7 days for you to receive the money (estimated: 23/03/2021 - 25/03/2021). We recommend that you wait until the money arrives before shipping the items. We'll email you when this eCheque payment has been deposited into your PayPal account.
  • Thanks a lot @Mrs Swoop!
    I've just found on another forum about the eCheque being the most common reason for the delay. I haven't received the email you mentioned, but I hope the payment will clear soon. Case closed! ;)
  • You're welcome. I also remember that it took the full 7 working days before the money came through.

It's a bit naughty that they haven't sent you an email. From memory there was no indication on the transaction in Paypal that that was the reason, it was only the email that explained it.
  • I think if it's an echeque (had a couple myself) this would be explicitly stated on the order as method of payment. It wouldn't just say PayPal. If it doesn't say PayPal echeque then it's likely another reason.
  • @Jay37 when you say on the order do you mean in BO or Paypal?
  • @Jay37 Thanks, I've just found it on the BO Order page, right in the Payment Details box:
    Pending Reason > echeck (image attached)
  • Oh ok, I didn't see that at the time and now it's completed it's no longer there.