Sneaky Theft

HI I had someone order over $25 worth of items. They paid the instant checkout for a USA address and when I went to go print their label the real shipping address was in mexico. Almost a $5 shipping cost difference. They are playing games with instant checkout and should be banned! This is stealing. What should I do to report this

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • On the order page under the More Actions button there is a Report an issue option or you can email brickowl.com
  • thank you. I dont understand how brickowls instant checkout goes by the mailing address instead of the paypal address anyways. That makes no sense
  • Are you saying that they asked for it to be shipped to an address in the USA but you shipped it to the PayPal address in Mexico?
  • no they paid shipping as if they were in the United State, Im in Michigan but there paypal address is actually in mexico so its it is more then what they paid for instant checkout. $5 more on a $25 order
  • So what is the shipping address on the order? USA or Mexico.
  • the shipping address is posted as USA. I didnt see that it was a different country until after I put the order together
  • Which is why the postage was calculated as USA, that's where you should've sent it.
  • you cant do that. I havent sent it out yet. When someone pays through paypal. The tracking number has to match the paypal address. If i sent it to a different address and they get ahold of paypal and say I didnt send it paypal will reimburse them with my funds. Even if I have a different tracking number, because that tracking number doesnt match their payment address
  • BO terms say you have to ship to the shipping address.
  • Maybe you should contact the buyer and see where they actually want it sending to. It may be that they are having it shipped to a relative/friend within the USA and forgot to update the PayPal address.

If they do want it sending to the US address and really want the PayPal protection, you can always return the PayPal payment and have them resend with the correct address. Yes, you lose a little on the PayPal transaction, but not as much as if you were to send to the wrong address and potentially have the entire order go missing.
  • I lose time which is money from having to restock my inventory. This is not something that Brickowl should have for instant checkout. Payment should match address. Sellers should also not have to watch out for this being an issue
  • If you check the forums, this has been brought up many times in the past, and its been made clear it wont be changed (for what its worth I agree with you). From what I remember, it does show a message on the order when the address do not match.

I would still get in touch with the buyer and see what has happened.
  • Thank You for your input on this. I did what you said and reported this. Hopefully the buyer gets ahold of me, but I doubt it. I also just called paypal to make sure I was right and I am. If the paypal address and my tracking number do not match the will refund the buyer with your funds.
  • It's pointless to send it to what may be the wrong address, even if you think you are in the right as far as Paypal's T&C. If there is any doubt you need to be 100% sure what the buyer needs and work to make that happen or the order will only go badly for everyone concerned.
  • There's really nothing to report.

Buyers are allowed to enter a different shipping address... and as a seller on BrickOwl, you have agreed to send to the shipping address. Of all the websites I've ordered something from, I have always been able to enter different billing and shipping addresses. BrickOwl is no different in that regard.

You can always drop the buyer a polite message to check which address to send to.
  • You are supposed to ship to the shipping address. End of.

If you're not comfortable with that, don't sell on BO or don't accept PayPal. PayPal doesn't rule the world, they don't get to determine how every retail site and marketplace conducts their business.

Many Mexican buyers use a mail forwarded in Texas to take advantage of cheap US prices while combining shipping costs. It's perfectly normal.

You're concerned that you won't have coverage under PayPal's Seller Protection scheme. I get that, but understand that PPSP doesn't stop you from being scammed. Even if you the order direct to Mexico the buyer only has to say "they sent me an empty box" and PayPal would refund them, even if tracking shows that what you sent was delivered.

PPSP is a gimmick to try and get people to pay for their tracked shipping.
  • So selling through brickowl buyers have no insurance?
  • And no if they say I sent them an empty box I can send pictures of the product that I did send Items and paypal will reverse the refund
  • They might, I've read that it's happened on occasion, but most of the time they'll side with the buyer.

Buyers don't need insurance because, in most countries, consumer laws offer sufficient protection.
  • @Life of bricks there's always "dog chewed package - I'll have to refund you" "kids made off with the lego" etc options

ALTHOUGH having said that I have had several buyers that have orders shipped to a freight forward co. Not had an issue yet.

In fact in 13 years my only losses have been "lost in post" where tracking just disappeared.

@Hoddie not a "gimmick" PayPal shipping saves me (actually the customer) 10-15% over counter prices. The ship to address is in their t&c's. Brickowl is at odds with that. It's a safe bet on who would win... if it came to it
  • @Graham you're speaking from a US-centric point of view. PayPal does not offer cheaper shipping everywhere, they don't even offer at all in most countries.

It's not a case of who would win. BrickOwl has every right to ask you to meet their terms, just as PayPal does. If you insist on using both services you're the one that needs to choose which terms to break.