Shipping methods for specific categories please

I'm particularly thinking about Instruction Booklets, which are nice and flat but a lot of them are heavy.

I had a customer contact me about the shipping cost for an order she was thinking of placing, she thought it too expensive. And she was right, it was more expensive than it needed to be, but it was also correct according to my SMs. And it was because of how heavy they are. The instructions that she wanted would fit into a large letter, but my SMs for large letters don't go up to the weight required because if that weight was made up of bricks I don't think they would physically fit in that size box. So BO had to use shipping for a larger parcel which would be more expensive.

So I would like to be able to specify a SM with a heavier weight limit that would only be used for the LEGO Instructions category please.

And I'm also open to other solutions if anyone has any ideas?

Thank you

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BO uses weight and size for determining the SM. So higher weight limits on your large letter should not be a problem.
    Did all the items have dimensions and weights?
    Missing something could be a reason BO chose to do a parcel.
  • Maybe you should have a look at your shipping methods anyway.
    When putting the 21319 instruction in my cart (and selecting UK as country) I see all shipping options twice (with different pricing), maybe some overlapping limits?
    2CA Royal Mail 2nd Class EUR 3,49
    2CC Royal Mail 2nd Class EUR 4,73

1CA Royal Mail 1st Class EUR 3,67
    1CC Royal Mail 1st Class EUR 5,51

2CSA Royal Mail 2nd Class Signed For EUR 4,87
    2CSC Royal Mail 2nd Class Signed For EUR 5,92

1CSA Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For EUR 5,66
    1CSC Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For EUR 6,70
  • @Baskrie I admit that's something I've never been clear on, if BO will try to calculate the size of the total bricks as well as the weight, is that definitely the case? Because you're right, that would solve my problem.

Regarding my shipping methods they are all different methods, the codes are different, that's for my benefit. But I take your point, from a buyer point of view it would be simpler to just see one option for each. I'll have a think about that.
  • I saw the different codes, but indeed what do I choose as buyer, between the 4 options I get it (I think as I'm not familiar with the RM rates), but as I buyer I have no idea what the difference is between the A and C versions :)

I know that BO does both weight and dimensions, but make sure your dimension are correctly set up. My letter shipping could hold the instructions, but I have limited the size of it to compensate for this issue, so now the instructions won't fit.
    Maybe I'll set up another SM with a small thickness but wider dimensions to hold instructions, but not to get a large order that should be shipped as letter.

Whatever you do, remember that you can always check for yourself, just go shopping in your own store :)
  • @Lawrence I think this one can be closed, thank you
This discussion has been closed.