store suspended "Overdue orders and messages "

Almost a month ago, after almost 7 years membership and a normal workflow,
(Average despatch time 1.6 working days, Average message response time 0.4 working days)

I get this message :

“Reason: Overdue orders and messages

Please resolve the outstanding issues with your store as soon as possible. Once the issues have been resolved, please reply to this e-mail with an action plan detailing how the issues occurred, and how they will be prevented from reoccurring in the future.”

So I ask Lawrence what it could be. Because I couldn’t find any overdue orders and messages. And search for the issue that occurs the problem. But all the proposals what it could be, returned into negative. The problem is, when I don’t know what the issue occurred, I can’t make an action plan he want.

So this result into mailing between Lawrence and me. Asking for an order id or message Id, which causes the problem. But I get an answers what I can do nothing with, or only standard message: (here the last mail this week)

“We do need to be provided with a valid action plan, and cannot reopen your store, without a valid action plan. The action plan needs to detail “how the issues occurred, and how they will be prevented from reoccurring in the future”. The issues were “Overdue orders and messages”. As you mention, you have already resolved these issues, but have not provide an action plan “detailing how the issues occurred, and how they will be prevented from reoccurring in the future.”.

So I get an message from him, that I already resolved the issues! After I was on holiday with the kids doing nothing ;)

In another email he refers to a conversation on 11-05. Where I though the problem occurs with a standalone mail program and does not update the mailing on the website.

But that return into this.
““It is not a requirement to update the “response needed” status on a message so this is not related.”

Then I thought it was an order, which was not paid yet, because the customer was at the hospital. But orders where only counted when status is payment received.

So how can I make an action plan on this?

Does anyone else got the same problem and how can I solve this? Overdue orders and messages is too general. And works I you know the order or message.

Every platform got their positive and negative things, but with this issue, Bricklink does a better job.

Simon

Comments

• 83 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My attention is drawn to bit about 'Response needed' on messages. While it's true that you don't need to update the 'Response Needed' status on a message if you reply to it, if you don't reply and it has that status set it still shows as outstanding on the drop-down menu at the top of the screen so I understood that it does still count as an outstanding message. But I may be wrong about that.

It may be that the 'Overdue orders and messages' reason is standard text which could mean that there's a problem with one or the other and not necessarily with both. So in that case it could just be about the messages.
  • Can a store really be disabled simply due to not responding to messages? That hardly seems fair. Sure, a good business will reply to the messages that need a reply. But the "Response needed" is automatically checked and many people don't uncheck it even when they don't need a response, resulting in many "response needed" messages that actually don't need a response. If anything, a store should get a warning before being shut down.
  • At some point you acknowledge having had an overdue order or message. That the issue has been resolved (order sent, message replied to) perhaps does not remove the black mark. If you accrue too many of these black marks within a certain time, the system flags you for suspension.

This is all guesswork on my behalf.

But if this is how it works, perhaps you need to commit to a reduction in overdue orders and messages.

It could be that you did not close your store while you went away for a few days, in which case you can commit to close next time this happens.

It could be that your average despatch time is set too low and too many orders are being shipped outside of this, in which case you can commit to do better in future and/or change the setting to better reflect the circumstances.

As I say, all guesswork on my part, but it seems that solving the immediate issue isn't enough without also addressing how to prevent it happening again - with the assumption being that if you make a plan but don't stick to it, the consequences of that will be harsher next time.

So, be honest, if you send a few orders outside your public despatch time, or don't reply to messages within a reasonable timescale, perhaps you need to address this.
  • "So I get an message from him, that I already resolved the issues! After I was on holiday with the kids doing nothing ;)"

So you were away on holiday, for how long? More than 5 days? Was you store open or closed?. It could well be that in that time there were to many orders that not got shipped hence triggering the automated action.
    Once you got back, you shipped out those orders and hence the issues got solved.
    So when looking for those issues now, there is nothing to be found :)
    Maybe looking at the orders from around your holiday en noting what the despatch times were on those could reveil something.
    All this is also an assumption.

What I do agree upon is that it should be possible to get a clearer answer from BrickOwl when asking what the issues were (which orders/messages).
    I remember from an earlier message that they also were not provided with a clear answer on what the problem really was.
    In that case all the text they got was that there were issues and a plan was needed.

As a side note, it does not matter how long you have been around, all rules apply equally to every one, no favouring long time stores over new ones.
  • How I understand the ""So I get an message from him, that I already resolved the issues! After I was on holiday with the kids doing nothing ;)" is that Wereldstenen received a message that all issues were resolved, but that he is wondering how that was possible since Wereldstenen was away and didn't (/couldn't) do anything with / on BrickOwl to resolve those "issues".

And that it now from the point of view of Wereldstenen is a little strange that an action plan should be produced for unknown issues. As I read it, Wereldstenen is not against the action plan, but I think he is reasonable in his demand to know more details about those "issues". Just the "Overdue orders and messages" might be a little to general.
  • Hi Bas and other users,

I was on Holiday last week. The shop is closed since 7 May and still closed... I really don't know how to solve this. I don't get any special detail from Lawrence, where it went wrong. The trust in this site is a bit gone now. I understand that rules can be apply equally to everyone. But with almost 7 years membership and a normal workflow, no problems before, this hardly seems fair.
  • Your storefront says you despatch in 2-5 days. Is this what it said before BO closed your store? Did you occasionally ship an order on 6+ days?
  • I think you need to define 7 years of normal workflow. The bar has changed as far as doing what you say your doing. If it's as Hoddie says that you were taking weeks to fill orders (close your store when you go on vacation... or did you put up a notice saying you were gone...) than really I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
  • I agree with @BasKrie that it should be possible to get a definitive explanation from Brick Owl about the issue/s that have triggered a suspension. I would actually go further and suggest that that information should be provided as part of the original notification that the store is suspended.
  • Hi @leopard37 ,
    Define 7 years of normal workflow result in Average despatch time 1.6 working days.
    I picked the LEGO on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And then 7 May-> store suspended and closed "Overdue orders and messages.

Holiday was just last week and got nothing to do with the shop. The shop was already suspended.

It would be nice that Lawrence explain in detail, what went wrong here and open my shop. So we can learn the BO system. Overdue orders and messages is too general. On Bricklink you know exactly which order cause the problem.
  • If this had happened to me, I would be extremely upset if exact examples were not provided. Without that evidence it is unfair and how can you defend it or detail improvements moving forward if you don't know the exact cause. It's almost like admitting liability for something you may not be guilty of.
  • The admin is generally very communicative I have found... is there any kind of Google translate issue, perhaps? I simply cannot see them closing a long-time store without good cause from a numbers or complaint POV. I just can't.
  • hello people,

We have something to celebrate. It's one month ago, that my shop is closed. I send a new email to Lawrence asking him, which order or message causes the problem. Without this info, I can't provide any action plan for him.

If I know the problem, I will let you all know. Because It can happen to everyone. For now my shop is still closed.

It's a pitty and a heavy punishment, but till now it's a mistery for me.

I focus now on other LEGO platorms.
  • Very odd. IMO if the 'System' closes your store then the 'System' should supply you with a solid argument plus the information needed to re-open.
    Is there something else playing? Or maybe Lawrence is not in the position to respond quickly? Anyone heard from him lately?
  • I don't think it's particularly odd. If a store is not performing per the site's requirements - for whatever reason - I think it's good that BO holds the owner to account for that.

If a store is shipping orders beyond the stated dispatch window, or not responding to messages in a timely manner, that's the problem. If the owner isn't even aware that that's what they're doing, big problem, because how can you fix something you don't even acknowledge?
  • @Lawrence, would you be open to responding to this thread without violating any privacy issues (i.e., not sharing the store's info, obviously, publicly)?
  • @Hoddie there should be a solid reason, but so far I only see Positive feedback for this store so it is odd. Just closing stores without explanation does not contribute to the reliability of this site.
  • Although I understand that stores want to feel reassured that they will not be suspended for an arbitrary reason, I don't feel it would be appropriate to discuss the details of a specific suspension in a public forum.

As @Hoddie points out, we do require that stores resolve issues independently and provide action plans
  • Hello,

I've been reading and keeping an eye on this topic and I must point out, that I am confused.
    Do I understand correctly, that there is no clear information why a store has been closed and do I understand correctly that it has not been pointed out, what was the actual cause?
    By reading this conversation, I have a strong feeling that the store owner currently has not understood it. Therefor it is not clear, how to solve the issue (since the issue is not known) and what kind of actionplan to take (if the root cause is not understood).
    I also must note from my observations, that there might be some translation issues...

I would understand, if there are problems with customers and there are bad feedbacks present, but with this store feedback this sound quite well operating store and does not seem to fit with a bad profile...

I like the community and I don't want to see "lost in translation" events with good fellas =). I really hope that with the help of the community we could clear out the situation and we can continue to thrive.

A bit OT:
    I want BO to be greater than BL and we need to get more sellers here. Just few days ago I had to make my first order from BL since BO just didn't have enaugh of those parts (with reasonable price) across multiple sellers available (LEGO Blue Flat Panel 5 x 11 (64782)). I needed 10 of those panels in blue in EU (due to taxes ofcourse)... So I think we need every seller here that we got and keep them, if the service in general is good.
  • @Lawrence : We're not asking for details on this specific store closure, but merely that when a store gets closed, the store owner gets a little more detailed explanation than "Reason: Overdue orders and messages"
  • With all respect, based on the response given by Lawrence I guess there must be more issues at hand than visible for us (public). IMO however, requiring stores to solve issues independently seems like a "divide and conquer" approach, whereas the responders on the Forum seem to want to assist in solving issues together. That is community sensibility. It could happen to any of us sellers. So, I would still like to know more.
  • @lawrence: I understand the BrickOwl policy on "cleaning your own trash without the help of other store owners". But, without going into details for this specific case, can you assure to us (other store owners) that they receive helpfull information on the reasons of suspension (and thus the main focus of the action plan). Or will a suspended store be left in the dark with a general reason and is the action plan a "trial and misshoot" excercsise?
  • @NelisSolis why would BrickOwl do NOT want stores to help out others? It is stupid. This is a community, if we want to help out others we should not be blocked by BrickOwl to do so. Helping one will benefit all.
  • @patpendlego: I maybe phrased it not clearly. What I ment was "I understand that if this is the policy, we have to deal with it (comply or as a community try to change policy). I didn't ment to imply that I agree with that policy. (In Dutch something like: "ik snap wat je zegt, maar begrijpen waarom je het zegt doe ik niet").

I agree with you that helping each other, like we tried here in this topic, is benificial for all of us sellers.
  • @NelisSolis agreed :smile: (Nederlands is een handelstaal, specifieke gedachten of emoties uitdrukken kan soms erg lastig zijn en dat dan ook nog vertaalt opschrijven in het Engels... en dan weer terugvertaald lezen.. blijven communiceren dan maar)
  • All I can think of is that the store owner knows what's happened, and if they don't then BO considers that they should do. If they know then it's easy to remedy, and if they don't then they can't fix it and BO are well within their rights to keep the shutters down.

I have no idea if this is what's happened, but consider:

Store says it ships within 1-2 days of order. However, 1 in every 10 actually takes 3 or more days to ship, each accruing a black mark. After a pre-determined number of black marks the store suspension protocol is triggered.

Now, if the seller is aware that they ship 1 in every 10 outside of their stated dispatch window, they could easily say "okay, yeah, I could improve on that and I will do" or otherwise agree to change the setting. But if they haven't noticed that they ship so many outside of the window, they wouldn't know what they've done wrong and couldn't reasonably commit to fixing something they hadn't even noticed or been aware of.

As I said, I have no clue if this is what's happened, I'm just throwing something up in the air, maybe the OP can do some digging of their own.
  • ^I understand what you're saying, but wouldn't it be better to tell the store exactly what is going on, so that in their alleged ignorance they can make a determination whether to try to solve the problem or give up on selling on BO? Seems simply enough to do, and still keeps the onus on the store to improve. But when a store owner is actively saying "what did I do?", it seems only fair to tell them...I know I'd want that kind of feedback for a problem that is keeping my store closed.
  • As others have said, while I do not know the store (they are likely awesome!), I do sense a translation challenge here also. That may be the very simple fact without getting into privacy, etc. That is my instinct here.

To the community: Based on an accidental experience here, I do know first-hand that @Lawrence is quite specific about any issues and the response required to resolve and close them (at least in my opinion it was more than enough information to understand and resolve it.

Last year, I had a customer submit an issue report against my store because they had put the wrong address for shipping in BO and they didn't know how to change it - so not really an issue in terms of the meaning of that report, but an issue to them certainly <s> - so I did get to experience the issue submittal process and the closure resolution <s>). It was very clear and to me (as a native English speaker) simple to address to then have removed.

I don't know if that makes anyone feel better about issue and closure processes at all, but my own personal experiences here have earned a ton of trust with BO. So I'm all good with however the process works.

And consider this: Closing stores costs BO money, don't forget. It is in the site's self-interest to have open, successful, and awesome stores. Businesses will always do what is in their self interest (that, death, and taxes are life's sureties! <s>)... so there is clearly a miscommunication of some kind IMHO. I do not think for a moment stores are closed without reasonable cause against documented rules, and I think they are likely reopened rapidly once resolution plans are submitted and executed. We've seen that ourselves via older forum posts on this topic.

This is my personal opinion only, of course, and I mean no offense to the OP to be clear. :-)
  • @Hoddie thx for your perspective, it makes sense and something to take into consideration. I am quite unaware yet about the protocols here at BO, still in the process of building a store here. Good to know this.
  • I also understand that there might be something happening in the store (that shipping later than within two days is a good example), but I also think that the OP is not clearly aware or does not fully understand either from ignorance, language barrier or maybe high selfesteem for what it's worth.
    All I know, is that the OP sounds to be interested in knowing the issue and not realizing or understanding the issue and not getting a reply, that would clarify it to the OP.
    I also believe, that BO has given a reply that would be understandable for most of the sellers, but we have to concider that the reply has not been clear for the OP.

And last, but not least - I fully understand the legal thing about discussing the details and nobody wants to openly "clean eachothers dirty underware", but there must be a way for us, the community, to help to solve this issue. There seem to be a lot of backers here who want to solve it without stepping over any legal boundaries. Everyones intentions are just to just keep the community happy all together =).
  • @Wereldstenen berichtje gestuurd / message sent. Interested if issue is solved.
  • I have just reread the thread, and in particular your replies. One thing that jumps out is that you keep asking which order is the problem. Lawrence is asking for an action plan as the store had an issue at some point with 'Overdue orders and messages'

Do you need to know exactly which order this relates to? Surely you can provide Lawrence with a summary of your workflow for processing orders and replying to messages without this?

Obviously for you own peace of mind it would be great to know if you had fallen down with a particular customer, but if an action plan is needed I don't see why you can't send one.

'All orders are picked and posted first class Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Messages are linked to my email to notify me as soon as they arrive. All messages will read and responded to the same day, then status updated on the site. If this requires a change to an order, then this also is actioned same day. Errors, omissions and refunds are dealt with on a case, by case basis, but a response will always be given to the buyer within 24 hours'

Something along these lines obviously tailored to your circumstances, but reflecting both your store terms and the settings on your storefront. Same thing you would do if there was an issue at work and your manager needed a plan for a solution you don't necessarily need to know which colleague/customer/transaction was the issue (although I can fully understand why you may want to), but providing the boss with a solution to correct/improve the process so he knows what is happening would still be needed.

Have a think about anything that could have been a sticking point in the recent months, jot down how that may have impacted on your normal workflow, at least then you will have some kind of plan to discuss, rather than waiting for more information that you may not get.
  • We seem to have reached an impasse here. As a community we all want to be reassured that BO will treat us fairly, BO isn't going to discuss a particular case on a public forum and the OP doesn't seem inclined to go into any more detail.

My personal experiences have given me a level of trust in BO. My gut feeling is that there were orders and/or messages that didn't meet deadlines. There may not have been any outstanding at the time the suspension was applied, but that doesn't mean that there hadn't been any previously. And I can well believe that there is a translation issue at play here. If it was me I would go through the processing of my orders with a fine tooth comb because if there weren't any that broke my dispatch time that would prove it.
  • Wow,

I did not know there was such a lot discusion about this case and yes, my shop is still closed.

The first mail I get from the BO system was:

"Your store (Wereldstenen) has been suspended.

Reason: Overdue orders and messages

Please resolve the outstanding issues with your store as soon as possible. Once the issues have been resolved, please reply to this e-mail with an action plan detailing how the issues occurred, and how they will be prevented from reoccurring in the future.
    "

Of course, if I know the problem. Lawrence get an action plan from me, the same day and never put the issue in the forum asking for help and tips.

So I got "Overdue orders and message" message in the mail, after I was done with my orders that day, knowing everything was just fine. I always only open my order page on BO, doing the job and reply on messages in outlook.

So I investigate and discus with Lawrence what it could be for example:

"Hi James,

Do you have any information on your site, a howto Overdue orders and messages comes up and run into store suspension?
    And can you tell me, which order number or message-id run into this? I can’t reproduce the system error anymore.

Every time I think it is. You say it’s not related or does not count for overdue orders.

Can it be this one? Order #1162109
    It was a big order. With some credit.

Simon

"
    His reaction

"Hello,

Your store does not have any overdue orders, you would need to refer back to the messages sent between ourselves and yourselves for the actions that you need to take for your store to be reopened.

Lawrence James
    "

So how can I make action plan detailing how the issues occurred, and how they will be prevented from reoccurring in the future?

From 22 May, I got the last standard message from him asking for a valid actionplan....

I saw a little message in this forum from Lawrence.
    It would be nice to everyone, that he explain in general what went wrong here and explain to me in detail on the mail where the error occurred, so I can make an action plan.

For now my shop is still closed.
  • You may be asking for something that cannot easily be given.

Go back through your orders, count the number of days between the date payment was received and the date you shipped the order. Count how many times you exceeded your stated shipping time. If this number begins to stack up, there's your problem.

Similarly, check how many days it took to respond to messages.

It'll take some work, but if you want your store to re-open here and prevent it from being closed again in future, it seems like that work will be necessary.
  • I'm sorry to see that my response in the thread did not ease the situation. Clearly the lack of input from myself is causing some speculation and concern. I can confirm that we do not suspend stores for historical issues, such as high average despatch times or long message response times.

Stores are only suspended for overdue orders, if there are currently overdue orders. Overdue orders are shown to the store by a yellow banner on every single page in their store. This is not to say that we suspend every store everytime they have a single overdue order, just to say that we do not suspend stores for historical overdue orders.

Similarly, we do not suspend stores for having messages they took too long to reply to, which are no longer overdue. Stores are only suspended for overdue messages if they have overdue messages. Unanswered messages are indicated by a number next to your user profile, and on the store dashboard. We require stores to respond to messages within 48 working hours, and make a determination as to if messages do not need a response. We do not suspend stores for having a large amount of unanswered messages, if those messages do not require an answer, such as thank you messages.

In relation to this specific case, I can confirm that there are 20 or so back and forth messages between ourselves, so I would warn the above excerpts may not give an accurate representation of the situation.
  • Thank you for clarifying @Lawrence
  • @Lawrence I have read all communication (between BO/you and Wereldstenen) and my conclusion is that BO/you did not give specific detailed enough information to figure out what exactly the problem was. So, imo the store was suspended leaving the owner in doubt.

The first messages from BO were automated messages, stated in more or less generic terms, from which it is not possible to determine exactly what the problem is. In consequtive messages this has not been clarified, unfortunately. Resulting in the store still suspended.

So I concur with the question of Wereldstenen: how to provide an action plan if you do not know the issue?

Please lift the suspension of the store, it has been long enough now. Also please provide accurate information on suspension. Suspending a store is a harsh method and should not be done lightly.
  • I'm thinking also, a store should be warned before closed. If it takes 10 overdue messages to shut a store down, an alert should show for the seller at 8 or so overdue messages stating that if they don't respond to these messages, they are at risk of being temporarily shut down. To wait until after shutting the store down to tell them why doesn't seem quite fair.
  • I don't want bad stores on BO. The acceptance of bad stores on BL is why I stopped buying over there and eventually why I stopped selling there too. I'm not making a judgement about the OP, just voicing support for closing bad stores when they're found.
  • ^what Hoddie said. This is BO's playground, we pay to play in it. :-) Each of us accept and must satisfy certain terms of service as grounds for opening and maintaining out store. I for one am super-confident this penalty is the last of the last resorts... my respectful two cents. This is the kind of thing where a simple live chat or phone call likely could resolve. :-)
  • @Calibrick so BO is a dictatorship and you like it? They set the rules, you comply and thats it? A good OMP will listen to its members, because these are the (paying) customers of BO.

With great power comes great responsibility.
  • Of course they set the rules, it's their playground. You wanna play rough? Play elsewhere :) It's certainly not a democracy, neither is BL who actively discourage contrary talk such as yours by banning members from using the forum.

The paying customers - ultimately - are the site's buyers not the site's sellers, and if they keep getting bad experiences through dealing with bad sellers, eventually they'll stop buying. Sometimes all it takes is one bad seller and a buyer can be lost forever.
  • As a buyer, I'd say that negative feedback is the thing that turns down. Even neutral makes cautious. If the store has only positive feedback, then it is hard to believe that the store is offering bad service.

This is just generally speaking and not speaking about OP store (I have no personal experience in that store).

Do I understand correctly, that the issue with the OP store was just because of unresponded messages? For me it took about a year to figure out, that sometimes there are simple "Thanks" and "Understood" messages with the "Response needed" flag and that I can mark them as no response needed... Sometimes there are quite random messages and if the OP store had the same messages just flagged and the store didn't pay attention to that, then that isn't so bad in my opinion.
    Personally I try to use this tick "response needed" only when I actually wait for a reply. Otherwise I remove the tick from that box.
  • Setting symplistic rules expecting everyone to comply to with punishments if not.. how does that sound?

There is always something in between, and it is called communication.

This talk about "bad" sellers.. do you have any idea what makes a seller "bad"? And also, if you eliminate all "bad" sellers that does not mean that the left over sellers are "good". Good only exists because there is also bad. Fact of life. No bad, no good. No dark, no light. Many have tried to eliminate sin, and did not succeed simply because it is not possible without eliminating everything else too.

So.. no not rough, but realistic.
  • Pat, I respectfully submit for your consideration that "setting simplistic rules expecting everyone to comply to with punishments" kind of sounds like every civilized area on the planet to me... most nations have laws we must comply to and consequences if we do not. And if I'm at a friend's home, for example, if they have house rules I follow them as a guest, e.g., perhaps they don't allow shoes on their flooring so I'd take them off.

And yes, I am perfectly fine with a privately or corporately-owned web site setting its own rules - they own it. They invested the money, they coded it, they built the database, they provide the services... it's their virtual world. I myself made a business decision that their rules to ME were reasonable and chose to share my profits here to sell on the platform. If I decide at some point I disagree with them, I can raise my concern, and from there its resolved or I decide its not in my business's best interests to remain. That strikes me as a basic web economy and typical business.

In return, the platforms commits to ensuring everyone is playing by the same rules so as to not scare customers away from the platform as a whole. It's not unreasonable to me - again, my personal POV.

In my years here, I have seen this site be very open-minded to seller's inputs and has really gone out of their way to iteratively improve (sometimes shockingly fast) with new features, etc., based on seller inputs. I've seen admins who have very patiently help me set up my store, admins who accept my ideas and implement them, and admins who super politely tell me when an idea I have isn't in the site's best interest (aka shoot my idea down <s>). Which is fine - because I don't own it. I didn't invest tens of thousands of hours and dollars into it. So I'll continue to super-respectfully defend it. :-)

I will say I think this has grown way out of proportion... the admin gave a pretty reasonable response in my respectful opinion in their second post. I couple that with my own personal experience in the system here and am very comfortable that while mistakes are ALWAYS possible (we're all human), I continue to firmly believe a store suspension is of the utmost last resort. I can't imagine for a second after no less than 40 posts on this topic, the challenges with the OP haven't been reviewed microscopically at the BO level to ensure there wasn't an error. Closing good stores arbitrarily is counter to the purpose of the site and the SITE'S bottom line and profits - objectively, it's simply *not* in its business interest. :-)

Back to the OP though... the admin's response, while respecting privacy and avoiding specifics, said something pretty clear: "Stores are only suspended for overdue orders, if there ARE currently overdue orders... Stores are only suspended for overdue messages if there ARE currently overdue messages." Somehow, somewhere the system clearly thinks there is an overdue order OR MESSAGE remaining open. And they said do not close a store for not responding to "thank you" message, as an example.

If the store remains closed, there appears to be an overdue order or message - this usually appears on the counter on top, as we all know. Is the counter at 0 after they finish the day's order fills, as an example? Did they submit the action plan to ensure the issue won't recur (usually the second part to getting the store reopened)? With 20-ish messages in back and forths, there's clearly a communication problem.

To the OP: It seems the bottom line to reopen (in the earnest spirit of trying to help):

Step 1: Ensure your counter by HELLO, NAME is at zero (if not, fill the open orders and answer any unanswered messages or mark as no response required).

Step 2: Submit an action plan to prevent recurrence of whatever the problem was (which can likely be a few sentences), e.g., if the store was accidentally left open during vacation or there was an unexpected power outage for days and orders were filled really late, "Shared store admin with a trusted family member in another area who can close the store in my planned or unplanned absence when I cannot access a computer" is one example. Were messages unanswered while the store was open? Perhaps "Changed internal process to ensure messages are viewed and responded to every 48 hours at a minimum. Set a Google Calendar reminder to ensure this occurs at a standard day and time." Just examples - action plans don't have to be complicated to write or to implement, they just need to mitigate the risk.

Step 3: Offline, follow the plan and return to making $$ :-)

R,
    Sandy
  • Sandy, the issue, if I read correctly, is that there are no more issues at the moment. So there is no counter to be viewed and the OP has no idea if orders were late, or messages not answered.
    That is the whole problem here. At the moment an issue arises you indeed get banners to say so.

I still think BO should be able to state in more detail (not to us but to the OP) what the issue was.
    So which orders were dispatched to late, and which messages were not answered quick enough.
    From a database point of view it should be easy to do.

On the other hand, someone suggested it, the OP could make a timelime himself. Look at all orders going back a week or 2 before the closure and take a good look at the dispatch time. Yes that will take some work but maybe also can give the needed answer. Same for the messages.

And yes BO is, in the end, a dictatorship, as is any store and marketplace. But on BO you at least have the option to say so.
    The rules are set by the owner, the community can try to change those rules, but in the end it's the owners choice to implement suggested changes, or not.
    As a user you can either abide by them, or don't be a user.
  • Interesting thread, I've learned a few things about BO. So... as stated earlier if BO judges stores/members by quantitative measurements they will get quantitative behaviour. As it is now I'm not going to put effort in special items or specific catalog contributions, since all that counts are "how many".

So, I think I will consider building an inventory here of "many" of just a few items which then will be counted by BO as good behaviour. I have never done that before though, since 2006 I have had a store on BL with special items pat pend period differentiating in mold types and other characteristics. Currently slowly rebuilding inventory from scratch again, so I think that might be an action plan lol.

Anyone any ideas about where to purchase large quantities of lego for low prices?
  • Every post you've made comes across as though you think BO is wrong in just about everything it does. BO isn't the new kid on the block any more, it has worked for 8 years and more, and gets better over time. If BO doesn't work for how you want to run your business that's a shame, but snidely suggesting that BO should make changes to accommodate you is very unlikely to work.

If you want changes, make a suggestion, explain why you think it would improve things - with something better than just "this is how BL does it". Maybe other users will like your suggestion and line up behind you, maybe they won't. You don't know unless you try. BO has a good track record of implementing suggestions, certainly a much better one than BL.

BL has terrible customer support, awful compliance with legislation, treats its volunteers with contempt, arbitrarily bans users depending on the mood of the admin at any given time, often refuses to adhere to its own rules and terms, and allows sellers to get away with price manipulation, listings abuse and demonstrably illegal behaviour. BL puts immediate gain ahead of absolutely everything.

BO <> BL. Thankfully.
  • @Hoddie I can imagine you might think that but no, it is not about right or wrong. What it is about is if I am going to sell on BO I want to know the core focus of the site, and the best/fastest way to figure that out is by communication, asking questions, posing opinions, getting response. For me it is quite clear at this point, BO is about quantity so now I can revise my strategy to accommodate that.

I have no doubt that BO will work just fine if I fall into line with the sites focus. That is simply how the world works. Having said that, obviously there will be things I like and don't like, hence the expression of opinions and making suggestions. I don't care if these suggestions are implemented or not, I will just take it as it is.

I've cleaned out my inventory and start from scratch again. Figuring out a top 5 or top 10 of best selling items and consider going for bulk on them. It's all about quantity here.