item weight

Please put a warning note 'weight missing' on quotes when the weight is unknown instead of putting a fantasy weight !!!
Had an order where quote request/invoice gave a total weight of the parts of 3.904,67g - so a 5kg parcel would be fine. When packed, the whole was much more than 5kg, unpacked and checked everything. It showed that the total of the parts without any wrapping or baggie was 4.659g - impossible to make a 5kg parcel (oversea order with high shipping prices, a 10kg parcel would be EUR 17 more). So I checked all parts and found 3 where the system gave a unit weight of 4g instead of unit weights that were between 64g and 174g. I think the system simply noted a weight of 4g when the weight was unknown instead of putting a note 'weight data missing'.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Which parts are they?
    How can the system show 'weight data missing' if the weight is 4g?
    There could be an error in the catalog and the weight needs correcting.
  • Primo parts BOIDs 37167, 987897 and 569028
    When I checked and went into edit, there was no weight entered. And of course, I now submitted the correct weight.
  • @beaverbrick I had a small polybag set that didn't have a weight, but for some reason when a buyer purchased it, it put a fantasy weight of over a pound, even though it was only a couple ounces. So brickowl does seem to put fake weights on weightless pieces, though I don't know why.
  • Yeah it does seem odd that it would come up with a random weight... maybe it's a bug that @Lawrence needs to look at?
  • They're not random and it's not a bug - it's been brought up on the forum before. All types of parts have estimated weights where the correct weight is not known. The estimate is usually on the high side so that sellers don't lose out on shipping (better to refund the difference rather than ask for more), but it can turn out to be lower too for some particularly weighty items.

If you don't like working with estimates you can submit the correct weights to the catalogue - a link on the dashboard will take you to the items in your inventory that are missing a weight. Alternatively you can force "request a quote" for those items - I do this for figures that have a cape, as I ship those in the little box where possible, and the weight of the box isn't included in the official weight.
  • 4g instead of 173g an estimate? For a part of 19.2 x 19.2 x 4.3 cm! Maybe the Primo plate 4x4x1/2 was considered by the system like a normal 4x4 plate. Similar errors had occurred some time ago for dimensions when Duplo and Primo parts were counted in stud dimensions as if they were normal Lego parts. I remember having explained to Lawrence the stud dimension relations between normal, Duplo and Primo.
    @Hoddie: sorry but IMO counting/estimating dimensions or weight of Duplo and Primo parts as if they were normal parts is a bug (or complete ignorance of Lego).
    And when I get a quote request I have to be able to rely on the given total weight of the items.
  • They're not a per-item estimate though, they're for a type of part - e.g. all parts without a weight are estimated to be 4g, all sets without a weight will be estimated at the same weight, etc. It works for most, but as I said, not all.

It's not perfect by any means, but if you don't like items in your inventory having estimated weights, it's easy enough to submit the correct weights to the catalogue.
  • during the years here on Brickowl I submitted quite a lot of information (more than 1000 dimensions but only 180 weights as my scale is not perfect for small parts). However, still in February this year there was a note on the invoice 'missing weight data' for an item which was set at 4g (so probably the estimate value). With such a note it*s perfect! But now there are no more such notes, and I can't remember a message that these notes will be stopped. Maybe I just missed it, if so I'm sorry for my rant.. But please, could we have such notes again. When getting a quote request for hundreds of parts, it makes it much easier to check if the total weight is correct.
  • Perhaps @Lawrence should comment on this thread?
    I too do try to add weight and dimensions when I see items on my dashboard showing those as missing, FYI... so that's a good practice for all of us to follow to avoid this scenario. :-)
This discussion has been closed.