Postage Help

edited February 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
I've just been updating my postage costs as I didn't have much set up and most of the time I was getting request quotes.

The first thing I checked was a minifigure Kili and it's chosen Small parcel rather than large letter!
Do I have to set it to force quote or is there another way to sort it?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited February 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    When viewing your inventory, on the left, there is a list of the items that do not have the various dimensions, including length width and height. If the dimensions are missing for an item, it uses Conservative default settings. These default settings will usually be over the limit for large letter. If you enter dimensions into the catalogue for the items in your store that are missing data your shipping should work fine.
  • Where would I do that Lawrence? Does that update the data for just me or everyone else?
  • On the left, if you filter by height for example, it will then show you only your inventory that is missing height. If you click on the items, it will take you to the catalogue, you can then click on the edit tab to enter the information. You will probably need to click on the link to go to the parent item, as directed to at the top of the form.

It updates the data for everyone, so it stays in the catalogue forever.
  • Found it.
    Click on the minifigure and then 'edit'
    So when measuring minifigures they have to be put together and measured standing up.
    Length = front to back? Width = left to right? Facing the figure.
  • Yes, I think so, I still get confused.
  • Haha you should know!

Think I've just found a slight problem!

Have just tried selecting 'Chewbacca Micro Figure' L6xW6xH21mm
    My 'large letter' setting is 5mm smaller than the official size, the important one being the height set a 20mm. So chewy at 21mm was to high and put in the 'small parcel' I guess he didn't fancy laying down! ;-)
    I then set my 'large letter' height to 22mm which solved the problem.
    Hope this makes sense!
  • Oh, it really should handle "rotating" the figure. Can you just clarify the LWH dimensions you had your package set to, and did you have any volume limit?
  • hmmm just tried it again and it was ok! Did it remembering the previous postage type/size from the first minifigure?
  • I think I read a comment about this recently.

So I added a Lego Set, small parcel. deleted it from my cart and added a simple 1x2 brick and it selected small parcel.
  • Oh, yes, if you are using the default method to work out if it fits, that won't tell you, as it just remembers the last used shipping method often, assuming you want to keep the same. If you view the cart, it will show all available shipping methods. That way you can see if large letter is available,
  • I had noticed that there was the option to select the cheaper postage. Will the customer realise that?
    If I was the customer and this happened to me I'm not sure I'd think that it was ok to select the cheaper postage option.
    Is there not a way to completely reset the shopping cart?

Another thought on the minifigures sizes etc. I sell minifigures in parts rather than put together. There might be some minifigures that when completed could put them in a higher parcel bracket than when they're separated. See storm trooper 89145 who has a back pack. (Although probably small enough to fit into a large letter) a better example might be the Medusa minifigure size 40x50x50mm standing complete.
    Completed = small parcel £3
    Separated = large letter 90p
  • At the checkout the customer has a choice of the different shipping methods available.

With regards to items that can have different item and shipping dimensions, I've made a note to make a second set of dimensions available so you can enter different packaging and item dimensions. For now just enter the built dimensions.
  • Yes I realise that Lawrence.
    I think the problem is if a customer added a set to Store (A). Then changed their mind, deleted it from the cart but then clicked back to Store (A) and added something small, it would show the high postage cost. They might not click through to see the other postage options as they're put off by the high postage. They could then click on someone else's store and the postage resets and get the same item for £1 postage!

That's good, sounds like a lot of work and dimensions. Although most minifigures are the same size, just accessories that have different sizes. Looking at mine I'd say probably all of them have one dimension less than 20mm. So would go in a large letter!

Could a seller choose to override the default minifigure size if dimensions haven't been entered and the seller sells figures in parts rather than complete?
  • I too would appreciate being able to enter custom dimensions. Polybags can easily be folded to fit in a smaller space than their actual dimensions might indicate.