Bayer & BASF Items?

Just made a purchase of some Bayer and BASF items.

Was wondering how we can list Marbled items in the color chart? Perhaps add a custom color or something?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Which particular Lego part is it that you want to list with a marbled colour?
  • Bayer bricks are always 3001 (2x4 bricks). They were made by the German company Bayer for the LEGO company to test material and colors.
  • They will be just 3001s for right now. I ordered just a few from different sources to see how it goes and who i can trust. Plan on ordering much more. Got plenty of plates i can get also.
  • Oh, I see. I would see less listing them under whatever is the most prominent colour on the item, and then putting a descriptive note to explain the marbling affect. Unfortunately we don't support custom pictures of items at the moment
  • @EricHamby: never heard of Bayer making plates ! They got the mould for the 3001 from LEGO for the testing. Bayer was the supplier of plastic pellets for LEGO. Tests were made to find out which plastic mixture would be best for the bricks (strength, clutching power etc). Instead of LEGO there were letters on the studs which specified the different quality (clutch power etc). Those with 7 C were the ones which have same clutch power as the bricks we know.
    If you want more Bayer bricks, I have quite a lot of 7 C (but no more marbled, the marbled ones all went to a LEGO friend who's collecting Bayer bricks, who has the biggest Bayer brick collection and knows more about them than anyone else). Send me a message if you want more info.
    Renate
  • (but no more marbled, the marbled ones all went to a LEGO friend who's collecting Bayer bricks, who has the biggest Bayer brick collection and knows more about them than anyone else). Send me a message if you want more info.
    Renate
    You can smell Maxx in the distance. :D
  • Sure, Maxx is for 2x4 bricks and especially Bayers what Gary is (was) for LEGO history and vintage items. I owe much to both for having learned a lot from them.
    Whoever needs Bayers: search the catalog here for 2x4 bricks without cross supports. Then go down the list of items for sale. Last items (the not so cheap ones) are Bayer bricks (see description of the items for sale).
    Renate
  • Well i never said the plates where Bayer lol. The topic is Bayer and BASF.

Any ways im going to contact ya and see what ya got.
  • @admin Custom images would be pretty epic lol.
  • ok, let's explain for the non-collectors:
    Bayer (called Bayers) and BASF bricks are always 2x4 bricks. These were test bricks and werde made in many different colors (often wonderful colors which are not known LEGO-colours). I can only speak for Bayers: you recognize them by the logo on the stud (letters that represent the clutching power, 7 studs with C and one stud without logo are those which gave the best result, i.e. same clutch power as the bricks we know). Bayer employees could take test bricks home for their children, so they are now found on the secondary market.
    Marbled parts: this happened during the production (and not only for Bayer or BASF but in LEGO factories too). When starting a new run with another colour, some colour was left in the mold so that the first part of the new run became marbled. These (imperfect) parts werde thrown away or employees could take them home. I don't think that this still happens today with the large quantity of parts produced, but in the old days the same mold was used for producing a part in different colours. When there were enough of one colour, they just produced another batch with the next colour.
  • If they are ALWAYS 2x4 bricks than who made these?
  • the plates in your photos are made by LEGO not by Bayer or BASF (see 2nd part of my explanation RE marbled parts). They were considered defective parts and found their way into the secondary market.
  • My older brother, who grew up in the town here in Canada where Samsonite had it's factory, tells stories of taking big bags of marbled bricks home from behind the building when he was young.
  • If they are from LEGO why do they have PIP marks?
  • sorry, I can only say for the 2x2 plate that it is LEGO (can't detect enough on the first 2 images). But ALL parts have pip marks. Most modern bricks have it on a stud in the middle of the logo. Bricks/plates from the patpend period had the pip on a side. Old CA bricks had it on the edge/corner. And you'll find bricks/parts where the pip is placed somewhere completely against all known rules. I do have transparent 2x4 bricks without cross support which should have the pip on the side or edge, but they have the pip on a corner stud (although pips on stud came much later, so this was obviously some test from LEGO). And I have a 6x16 plate with several pips on the underside inside the rings. It's crazy, but if you start looking for changes that happened to common parts all over the time, you really get hooked and become a crazy LEGO addicted oldie like me
    Most if not all of my newer LEGO pieces have pip marks on one or two studs where applicable. Check some of your brand new pieces and you'll see them.

HTH,

Brian
    Most if not all of my newer LEGO pieces have pip marks on one or two studs where applicable. Check some of your brand new pieces and you'll see them.

HTH,

Brian
    Yea im not seeing them. I do see an indent but it looks more like a casting mark. The plates have an actual PIP that you cant really miss.