Who is the responsible for a non-tracked package

Dear All,

Please advise how to proceed in case of a non-tracked package not reach the customer (based on his/her claim of course).
My shop has a non-tracked shipping option for small value packages, and in some cases cutomers claims that package didn't arrive.
In these cases I cannot tell more that to wait a few days, but what can I say after weeks? Who is the responsible in this case?
Me? Or customer who choosed a non-tracked option (due to this I'm also not able to claim towards local post office)?

Many thanks in advance for any hints or feedback.

regards,
Kezany

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's your responsibility to ensure the parcel reaches your customer.
    You should refund the customer if the parcel hasn't arrived, and then make a claim against the post office for a lost parcel.

If you are unable to make a claim against the post office because it wasn't tracked, then you need to decide if you stay with your current setup and risk the odd parcel going missing or increase your shipping costs and charge your customers for tracking (at the risk of losing orders due to higher postage costs).
  • I agree with beaverbrick, it's your responsibility. If you offer the cheaper uninsured option that's your risk, not the buyer's.
  • It's always the sellers responsibility to get the customers order to them.

If you haven't got proof of postage from your postal carrier then that is on you! if they put in a claim through paypal then they would 100% win.
  • I have been lucky to only have 1 order getting lost. BUT even this one was a track and trace luckily
    I refunded the customer even then.

It is sad when something gets lost, but from all those orders i have send without tracking, this 1 time, out of 73 orders from my shop. I wanted to be a good seller, and of cause believe the post office and customer that they have lost it.
  • It's always on you as the seller. If you chose to send without insurance so you can make your postage rates more attractive then that does not absolve you or responsibility if the package does not arrive.
  • Hello,

I can tell from my side (an order per month usually over few years already), then there have been plenty of purchases made and I always choose the cheapest delivery service (I do not want to pay more for transport than I do for the spares that I'm ordering (usually small quantities just to replace lost parts). So far for my history, only one parcel has been lost (and it was from the USA to EU).

Things happen, and it is a bit bad to put the pressure on the buyer 100%. I am personally willing to come somewhere in the middle, when a parcel is lost, but it is fully up to the customer. I've come to an understanding from Brick Owl community, that it is usually the sellers responsibility to make sure that the parcel gets delivered.

With best regards,
  • Responsibility is on the seller. What irritates me in this is that the postal service also charges for a service and I pay them but they take no responsibility whatsoever to actually provide what I paid them to do. But that is how it is. Not many businesses that legally gets away with things like that.
  • ^^ it's because most postal services used to be run by the state and exceptions in consumer laws were always allowed.