Display store names next to logos

Would it be possible to display the store name next to the logo in the storefronts? It seems if there is no logo image, the store name appears. If there is a logo, the store name does not appear. It would be helpful for me as a buyer to have some idea what each store name is without having to resort to reading the URL or some other means.

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do require that header logos have the store name. If we ever see header logos without a store name, we to contact the store to inform them that they need to change it. If you see this, if you could post a link to the store, I can contact them about that.
  • I had no idea this was even a thing. Looks like I don't have it enabled for mine as I just see my store name, but I'll be honest - I had no idea about that so I assume many other sellers may not be aware as well.
  • Lawrence,

I viewed 100 stores. Of those 100:
    • 12 have logos without a name
    • 18 have logos with a name, but the name is either a partial store name, or the logo design is such that only part of the name is legible, or the store name is present but so small as to be either illegible or bordering on illegible. Some logos are just not designed to be legible at 50 pixels high.

So the 18 could be technically considered in compliance with your stated rule, but that doesn't address my inability to determine what the store name is. Some stores have different names than what is indicated in the URL prefix.

While I am happy to copy and paste three- or four-hundred URLs and email them to you one-by-one, and be forewarned that I *will* do this if that is your decision, I suspect it is not the best use of your or my time to address the issue in this manner. Kindly note that to me the issue is the legibility and appearance of the store name, not compliance with BrickOwl terms of service regarding logo usage.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
  • Okay, that's a far higher rate than I thought. I have added that to my development list to have a think about what to do.
  • This is a terrific conversation - and @Lawrence then also has to account for putting a store name next to a logo with a store name in it. ;-)

It's a great point though - our logos need to comply, and they need to be legible. Why would anyone have a business logo that DOESN'T have their business name in it? Admittedly, this is weird to me.

One early start may be to increase the size of the logos in the home page default theme? So those that do have their business names in the logo becomes more legible on a PC (mobile there is little to be done, obviously). Not *instead* of adding a store name, but as an addition.

Another element could be to force that first quote header that is now optional in the home page code - I use that to say "Welcome to Calibrick." Maybe that is standard across all, placing the store name inside of it automatically?

Just thinking out loud!
  • With what I have read here i'm just wondering if my store logo is legible. My store name is mikes Technic bricks but my logo has the word Technic implied as a picture of a Technic brick

I would only change this if I was told too as I was quite pleased with it (even tho its pretty simple )
  • I agree with some others that the store name should really be a part of their logo, but I'm not sure enforcing logo changes on people would work, but then it would also look a little messy to have a typed name next to logos that do clearly show the store name.

@TechnicMadMike if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have known your store had technic in its name from the logo alone.
  • @vegitt noted, but the store name shows clearly at the top of the page anyway so i dont think this should be a issue
  • @TechnicMadMike The immediacy of your logo is "Mike's Bricks"…having to stop and think about it, or not being able to grasp the gestalt on a glance is detrimental to clear communication. If I just saw the logo, I would later look for Mike's Bricks…not Mike's Technic Bricks…and depending on the quality of the search function in play, I might or might not find the store again. But again, my concern isn't anybody's logo. My concern is that I can quickly, clearly, accurately identify a store. Nobody's logo is going to be a make-or-break point for me making a purchase. If I want to find store and all I know or remember about it is "the store with a bird logo"…I'm going to have a rough time trying to locate that. If I think your store name is Mike's Bricks and your URL is mikestechnicbricks.brickowl.com, then that's another pain point.
  • edited April 2021 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My store logo is recognizable, but not instantly legible. I decided to omit the header logo altogether and I place it in the main field instead (image attached). So, I have the store name AND the logo on the home page.
    https://pikka.brickowl.com/
  • We have now sent an automated e-mail to every store with a header logo. It does appear that are a very large amount of the smaller stores with inappropriate header images. I will then review them at a later point to see which still remain.
  • Just got that, it would be an idea to include in the email, what exactly you are referring too, where and how to fix it. A root around settings and I found "Header Image" and "Logo", but I have no idea where to put in store name, it seems to appear already in lots of places to me.

You've got to remember we are all not whizzes at the keyboard :-)
  • @Pikka I would rather do that, but having a lot of difficulty working out how to embed a logo/image into the main field.

Could anyone point me in the direction of instructions for embeding images into pages.
  • It's an interesting discussion here and we have also received the automatic email from Brick Owl. Our Store Name is part of our logo - ours is according the rules.

But... Why is it necessary to have the business name / company name as part of the Logo? There are many logos in the world without any name in it: the golden M from McDonalds, the Mercedes star, etc. Is there any legal reason for this?

Best regards,
    Oliver.
  • I don't think it is for legal reasons, it is just usability of the site users.

You as a store have the option of substitute your written store name with an image/logo, but the condition is that it has to display your store name.

You can check mine, I have my logo on the left, but the store name is written besides it.
  • This isn't about the logo, that's the square image that's displayed on the left. This is the store header, it just allows you to be a bit more creative with the way that your store name is displayed.
  • Good to know, it has confused me a little bit.
    @Stellar: that's a good example of logo and name combination.
    Our Logo does include our shop name. :-)
  • @Bricks-Shop: I'm the OP on this thread. My issue is one of legibility. And it's not my intention here to throw your logo under the bus or anything like that, I just want to explain the difficulty I have in reading art assembly logos like yours. Yes, your store name is in the logo, but it is unreadable when reduced to the 50-pixel display height of the header. Bricks is completely unreadable because the letter forms sit on top of one another and the multi-color sitting on top of a similar color density background. The pink, yellow, and green contrast with the dark blue, but, by comparison, the all white SHOP against the dark blue actually has better legibility. The pink "r" and the orange "i" are so close in color and value that at the small size they run together to appear to me as a backwards "n". The tag line underneath the word balloon, positioned on the gray background is unreadable both because it is too small and because the color value of the purple is too close to the gray.

I'm attaching a comparison image comparing your logo as you use it to an alternate design where the words "brick shop" are immediately legible and the assembly does not require my old eyes to sort out a jumble of color and shapes. Also adding a 400% enlargement so you can see just how the design deteriorates as it gets small. Does the word "bricks"…does that "b" read cleanly as a "b" or does it read as a "t"? I can't tell if it is "tncks" or what it is when it is small.

I hope this is helpful in your understanding of the issue.
  • That is a gorgeous logo, mfav! I think bricks-shop should ask you if they can use it! :-)
  • Many businesses have logos without their name in it. Check this page:
    https://medium.com/@gaurav.kumar_51805/how-to-design-a-perfect-business-logo-to-stand-out-in-the-market-622d7c8d390e

I am in favor of showing the shop name next to the logo. And letting go of the requirement that the shop name should be inside the logo. Each shop (business) is free to design their own logo.
  • Just to clarify, there is no requirement that stores have a logo with their store name. The requirement is that the header image showing at the top of the store has the store name. We do not plan to make any changes to how the system currently functions.
  • I just changed my store name to match my logo, I'm glad this was bought up now rather than later.
    Im still learning so I listen to feedback
  • @mfav: Thank you for this explanation. I have never checked our logo from this point of view - because we know how we are named. But it looks terrible with the resolution you have shown in black/color.

The logo was created by a proffessional designer with the demand that it will be readable in all sizes in which we'll need it on different pages. I guess my main problem was, that I have reduced the pixel size myself to fit into the BO requirements. Maybe it should be better if my designer will reduce this. And than maybe, you can check it once again.

Regards,
    Oliver.
  • @Bricks-Shop Having the designer reduce it is going to result in what you have. The design needs to be reconsidered so it is legible at 50px tall. The word "bricks" shouldn't have the letters overlap. But there are several problems as noted earlier. If you want to PM me off forum to discuss, that's fine.