Pressing Back Button

Was browsing through some old orders and feedback and noticed this...

After viewing feedback or an order, that is not on Page 1, when you press the browsers back button, you always end up back at Page 1.
Does it in several different areas of the site too.

To reproduce...
Go to All Orders tab.
Go to Page 2 (or any other page that is not page 1).
Click on the quotes to view feedback / or the order number to view the order.
Press the browsers back button.
You will now go back to Page 1 of the All Orders tab, instead of the page/point you were at before.

Not a major issue, just a little irritating to end up at a different place :)

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • +1
    Agreed on irritating. It would be nice if the back button actually went back to the point where you were
  • In fact the browser does just what you ask it to do, go back to the previous URL.
    The issue is that the site works with loading new content in the same page (URL) (I have no idea what the technique is called), so for your browser it is still the same page, it doesn't know that there is a page 2.
    This is why I always open the order or feedback (or anything else) in a new tab of the browser.

Same thing happens on my tablet when filtering on a status (through the text filter), when I open many other pages and return to the tab with the overview page it auto refreshes and looses the filtering although the filter word is still there.
    The new tab trick doesn't work for this :(
  • Come to think of it, I've noticed this too over time... a definite +1 if there is a programmable workaround that isn't too time-consuming, for sure!
  • Yes. There's a cognitive disconnect with the UI. Some links link to other pages and some links link to anchors within the page. The user expectation is that when a link is clicked the user will get a new page (and thus the back button works as expected). It might be helpful with the links within the page…if those links effected a slide-over CSS transition (or some other transition) that looked like something was happening *within* the page versus the "no-transition" which looks like a new page load. The problem is that the user can't tell which links link out of the page and which links link within the page. The situation happens all over the site.

Wishlist page
    • the tabs at the top go to *different* pages
    • the 1-2-3 (if you have more than 20) below the wishlist list operate *within* the page

Parts page
    • the tabs on the part page [Add to Wishlist / View Inventory / Part Out / Comes In / Buy]
    AND [Buy - Comes In - Inventory - Edit - Wishlist - Collection - Price History - Description] operate *within* the page

So there's an inconsistent design metaphor operating as well. If within-page links had one appearance and different-url-pages had a different appearance, that might also give the user a hint that the behavior is varies.

Programming probably isn't necessary but a pile of CSS might be.
  • I do agree this is annoying, we do have a potential solution for this. I have enabled it on the messages table, so it keeps track of the page you were on. I don't think I will enable this on every table automatically, as there may be some unintended consequences. So it may therefore be good to get an idea of where users would like this enabled, the orders table is an obvious one.
  • This may just be a limitation of how it works but...

If I go directly from this forum post to my Messages.
    Click Next to go to page 2 of Messages.
    Click the browsers back button.
    I now come back to this forum post, rather than back to page 1 of Messages.

Works well after reading a message, it comes back to the correct page number & point you were at.
  • Yes that was intentional, otherwise if you go through 10 pages, you’d then need to click the back button 10 times to go back to where you were before looking at your messages.
  • …or you can click and hold on the back button and slide down 10 items…
  • Thank you Lawrence.
    I think Messages and Orders would be good for me :)
  • That has now been enabled on the orders page, so should now be resolved
  • Thanks Lawrence, much appreciated :)
This discussion has been closed.