"Penny Orders"

How do you folks feel about what I call "penny orders"? Where someone buys usually a single item costing a penny/cent?

As I don't have a minimum order value or other restrictions, I tend to get quite a few of these. I'm guessing this happens because of people buying from wishlists.

On the one hand, I can see how it can be annoying and/or unprofitable. On the other, if I'm getting positive feedback from those buyers, it's a faster way of increasing my score.

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't get many orders other than that, because I mainly sell parts. It is probably because with parts, you normally just need one or two pieces. I've noticed that when I only need a couple of parts, it is really annoying to have a minimum order.
  • I do get several of those orders a week... I appreciate them a lot. People tend to come back and place larger orders. :-) Also, as a buyer myself, sometimes you truly just need a single plate or pin, ya know? It also adds to feedback as you noted, and they are so fast to fill.
  • I get many of those, I don't mind them, micro payment account helps for the bottom line of those.
  • I get them - they often turn into repeat customers who then go onto place bigger orders!

Paypal micropayments and a 50p charge on orders ensures these are not costing me money.
  • As a buyer I tend to buy a few extra things to make the postage worthwhile, I tend to have the opposite problem of putting too much in my basket lol.
    Me and my Husband are planning on opening a store soon, what are the PayPal micropayments?
  • i quite like the penny orders, as you say they can turn into larger orders down the line, also the feedback helps. i haven't used micropayments as yet, do you switch off the other paypal options in the payment settings when micropayments is switched on ?, i can see the fee is much lower using this form of payment which is great .. thanks ..
  • @clairethenohairbear micropayments are a type of paypal account you can get where fees are lower for low value amounts.

So I have a micropayments account setup for payments under £10.50. Payments more then that go to my other regular paypal account.
  • @Alexwilcox do you use the same PayPal account for both micro and business?
  • I should probably investigate this too... I've been lazy, have only had the general PayPal setup since opening.
  • Yep, me too. Paypal micropayments crops up every so often and I always say I should do something about it. Anybody with any advice? I seem to recall that it's not an obvious process.
  • @Alexwilcox, Can you send a link on how to set up a micropayments account?
  • Spoke to paypal today, either convert your current PayPal to a micropayments rate .. and setup a 2nd one which will manage the larger orders, or a new micropayments account and leave current one as is .. I'll pick the 1st one I think, as setting up a business paypal seems to take a little time, also micropayments is only available to a business account . Main thing with the mp is that the%is higher 5% I think, but the additional fee is less than 10p .. so could save 30p on all of those very small orders .
  • I only have 1 paypal account for all orders.

But compared to "minimum buy" i actually stop shopping at those places, mostly because i dont want to order "something" just to get over a minimum.
    For me the whole idea with this "brick shopping" is that i search for "That" specific brick. And i have no problem paying the shipping for an item costing way less.

So for me, an order is an order, and it is money in the pocket for me. I have plus in my Lego finance, just now i made a profit on about 9 dkk. Not much but better than no sale, because i wanted people to buy for more than they need :-D
  • @Tappbrick it's a long time since I set mine up - just google paypal micropayments and you should be able to find it.

@carlptaylor it's 2 seperate accounts (not linked in anyway) so you'll need 2 different email address's.

For anyone that doesn't have minimum order values - it's well worth the time it takes to get it setup. you'll save yourselves a fortune in fees in the long run!
  • An order is an order, if the buyer is happy to pay for the postage on a 1p item. I am happy to pack it and send it.

Why make them order more if they don't need it?
  • @White Horse Bricks , this isn't minimum order changes; this is paying a little less to paypal for low value orders .. switched paypal to micro yesterday and I'm keeping about 20p more on 1.50 orders.. previously these lost a few pence ..
  • @carlptaylor - did you switch your existing PayPal account to Micropayments? That's a bad idea if you also receive orders in excess of about £12 I think it is - as the fees for these will be much higher than previously. Usually, when sellers have a Micropayments account it's an additional one.
  • I spoke to Paypal on Monday (thanks to this thread) and requested micropayments. They explained that once it's set up (which appeared to have been done by lunchtime on Tuesday) that is my only payment method. If I choose to stop using micropayments I can call again and switch back. They also pointed out that if I had a £100 order under micropayments I would be £1.85 worse off than if if it were standard. Given that most of my orders are of low value I figured it would be a risk I'm prepared to take. As for having two Paypal accounts to deal with higher value orders they seemed to suggest that is not possible (although it may have been in the past), although I could set up a personal account to deal with that. How that would operate in real terms with BO interaction, commission, etc I'm not sure.
  • @Jay37 the setup you describe is exactly what i have (with 2 paypal accounts) and i've not had any problems with it (5 years+ operating in this way).
  • @Alexwilcox So I can see from your store that you have the two Paypal methods. Are they both business accounts with different email addresses? I assume that you set the maximum and minimum amounts from your payment settings and BO will automatically switch between them as required so there is no extra work for either the customer or yourself.
  • @Hoddie , I switched my current one, the time it would have taken to setup a new business account would be a pain, the majority of my orders are low value so all good, I'll setup a new pp account at some point.
  • @Jay37 Yes both business accounts with different email address's.

And yes maximum payment amount set on the micropayments account which BO will automatically switch over to the other account, no extra effort required from anyone after set up is completed.
  • I feel - an order no matter how large or small is an order. I am grateful for any orders I receive!! :) :)