How much is it to operate a store

I'm new and I have just started a store, does anyone know if it costs to sell bricks and keep my store active, or about tax and things like that, thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Danny, welcome to BO! It sounds like you need to do your research with your country and it's 2021 tax rules, VAT, etc.

Regarding store fees, if you review the Help link at the bottom of this screen, you'll find a link to Store Fees (https://www.brickowl.com/help/store-fees), which shows you only pay when you have sold items (BO collects a percentage of every sale). You are billed the 1st of each month via your store dashboard once you owe 5 pounds, I believe. Happy selling!
  • @Calibrick how exactly do i figure out how much tax I charge? is there a certian website you recommend? and why do I need to charge tax?
  • Danny, I see your store is in Kansas - I am in California, but it is US tax law that if you are entering a business with the express purpose to make money that you must report your store as a business to the IRS.

I have no idea what KS tax law is, but based on how they treat internet sales for other states, I am pretty confident your state requires you to collect and pay sales tax on all sales to other KS customers. A bit of time on Google (try "kansas business sales tax rules" or some such") will yield you a lot. You may even need a business license and a tax ID, I have no idea. You need to take the time and do the same research for your state's requirements and Federal tax law that the rest of us did. :-)

For Federal tax code, irs.gov is the source. KS you can google. :-) I think there's another thread on here from another KS seller that talks about how KS requires you collect the specific county taxes you must collect by county - which differs county to county in your state - which is actually quite tough compared to my own state. Lookup your local business and tax resources on the Internet to learn more. :-)

Note also that there are newer rules that other states are doing, e.g., most states in the union now require you to START collecting taxes for sales to their state once you hit 200 shipments to their state (and then for the rest of the year). That's a fun new thing a lot of us are dealing with. :-)