Transportation from US to EU

Hello,

I have a more general question for our wide userbase =).
I made an order from a well know store here in BO in december and the items were shipped on 29-th of December. While I have usually received the items with in two weeks, then this time I still have not received it. Now I am wondering, if this is normal and related to our current COVID situation somehow or should I accept that the shipment is lost? Also, just to add for clarification, then I'm situated at Eastern Europe and seller is in U.S.A.
Just to add, then I have no doubts about the seller and I am certain that everything was shipped (wasn't also the first time for purchasing from that same store).

With best regards,

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a US seller, I can definitely say our postal system was deeply overwhelmed over the holidays, and the 29th was still operating at high velocity with reduced staffing due to illness. I'm seeing inside-the-US orders take several days longer than usual still (e.g., what used to take 1-2 days now takes 3-4). And that's just until they hand off to your receiving country, so if there are any delays there that can be an issue too.

I can certainly see how over a month would be a concern; in Fall 2020 it took six weeks to get something from Australia to here, which was actually pretty good I was told.

I would give it a few more weeks... you could also ask the seller if they have USPS-side tracking so you can at least know it was handed off to your country yet or not? Stuff can sit in customs for some time for some countries.

Good luck!
  • Orders from the Netherlands to the USA can take up to three months due all COVID problems. (Less planes, more transportation by Ships)

I aspect that from the usa to europe can also take up to three months.
  • Since Covid, for larger order (4+lbs) I started to use UPS, I just shipped an order to the Netherlands on 1/28 and it arrived today (2/2). Cost was cheaper than USPS Priority Mail.
  • Thank you for your feedback. I'll sure leave a comment here afterwards, but right now I take it as a "normal" situation =).
  • edited March 2021 Vote Up0Vote Down
    So it has been two months and I still have not received the package nor have any information about the package.

Now I'm in a situation, where I think that it has to be admitted that the parcel is lost. Since this is the first time for me, then I'd like to know, how such things are usually handled? Should I ask a refund, should we split the loss - what is the common course in such cases?

I must add that the shipping option was something I got via coupon - free shipping from that buyer... Also the store is fully responding to messages and hasn't dissapared in that sense and is functional and still selling stuff. So the seller is acting nice and good in that perspective.
  • It's great to hear that you and the store are communicating and being reasonable about a situation that's neither of your faults. It's a big part of what makes BO a great place to be.
    But if you agree that it's time to call it lost then you should get a full refund. You didn't get your order so it shouldn't cost you. As sellers we just have to deal with that, most of my shipping has compensation included I believe in the US they are able to claim through their business tax? - someone may clarify that.
  • Yes, US sellers can write refunds off of their taxes - assuming they are operating as a legal business and filing taxes, of course (I suspect not all of us are doing that, unfortunately). I've seen sellers only cover orders if the buyer paid for insurance, and I've seen sellers refund in full or reship - it really depends on each store's terms. For my part, I refund in full each time (as if it's an expensive order and the customer chose not to insure, I insure it myself - something you can also write off your taxable profit! <s>).
  • I just received an order from mid of November this weekend, so you might still see yours as well.
  • Hello,

Currently the store just offered me an unlimited amount of free shipping coupons... So in other words no refunds on the order... I'm not sure, how to respond to that... Not exactly any worth to me in sense that I don't make that much orders from that specific store and even in generally speaking I make about 5-10 orders per year...

I will wait another month in the hopes of still getting the parcel and then I can just close the deal, but if not, then I'd say that the maximum, what I'm okay with, is splitting the cost... Or am I too strict? My first offer was a coupon for the same store that I would use again, but that has been politely ignored...

With best regards,
  • They owe you a full refund. Sucks to be them but the contract to deliver was between them and their carrier. If something goes wrong with that they need to take it up with the courier. They've broken the contract they had with you, and need to remedy that.
  • Anything less than the total paid amount is in favor of the seller.
    If you make a PayPal claim for not arriving, PP will side with you since the seller has no proof of delivery.
    But given the rest of the story you don't want to play it this hard (and that is nice of you), on the other hand I would not agree with the free shipping for live, they can withdraw that at any time (180 days after payment you can't make a PP claim anymore).
    So if you would agree to a refund for half, as a seller (I'm not the seller in this case) I would make that deal asap, suggest that again while hinting on a PP claim.

As it is a parcel there should be some Track and Trace and you may get some idea of where it si or should be
  • You are entitled to a full refund, and IMO you shouldn't settle for anything less. As Hoddie says it's the store that has the contract with the carrier so if the carrier doesn't deliver that's between them. You have a contract with the store and they haven't fulfilled their part of that contract. If you bought something from any other website that didn't turn up wouldn't you expect a full refund?
    As a seller I have to say that I wouldn't dream of haggling about this, if an order doesn't turn up my customer would get a full refund. The only question is how long you should wait to see if it turns up.
  • Okay, so about this case... I'm starting to lose my temper. I've been as friendly as possible and till today I have not received the parcel. So I turned to the seller and stated that I would like to get a full refund for that order and I also stated that I'm willing to settle for an equal coupon for the store. After some time I got a coupon that was 1/4 of the cost of the lost order. I might have accepted it if it would have been at least half of the initial order...

Since I'm kind of losing my hope with this case, then I'd like to prepare myself for the hard road - how should I raise a complaint/claim in BO against a seller and what details should I be able to provide?

... smells like my first unpleasant incident in BrickOwl ...
    But there is no perfect world and let's stay positive =). Stuff happens =).
  • You're entitled to a full refund. On the order screen, click more actions, then report problem. This will make Brick Owl aware. Then contact the Better Business Bureau and they'll contact the seller to try and encourage them to provide a suitable remedy.

US sellers don't always know that EU consumer laws apply when they sell to an EU-based customer, just as US consumer laws (state and national) apply when a non-US seller has a US customer.

As I said higher up the thread, it sucks to be them, but that's not your problem. I would hope Brick Owl doesn't allow sellers like this to remain on the platform, because such actions taint all sellers.
  • As asked earlier, is there Track & Trace info to see where the package is?
    Would be a shame to start a claim when maybe the parcel is just a few days away from you
  • Nope, I don't have any track and trace info. I do not know from the sellers side, because the shipping was arranged fully by the seller (I had a free shipping coupon for that store).

I'd like to understand this from the stores side a bit. How difficult it is to issue a coupon with an equal value of an order? Supposedly the store made the coupon for 23,99$ (initial order was less actually - 23,21$ ). In my e-mail I got a note that the store has issued a coupon for 6,00$. How can that happen, if the owner of the store stated that they issued a 23,99$ coupon?

I just want to understand if the store is just delaying things or what. I replied that it is not even near the initial order and now I received information that I would just make a new order and they will somehow settle it then :S - that just confused me even more...

And since things have gone so far, then I will also give the name of the store: Bricksbythepound . As it can be seen, then it has quite a good feedback and does not sound like a "bad" store would be like and also should be an experienced seller...

PS! I know that the sum of the order actually isn't that big and does not sound like something worth so much dealing with, but for me it is just a matter of principle.
  • Regarding the coupon, the seller has control over the amount so if it's for $6 that's because they set it up as $6. And at this point I certainly wouldn't trust that it would get sorted out when you try to use the coupon.
    You are entitled to a full refund. How long do you have left until you can't claim through PayPal? I commented earlier that it's good that you and the seller are communicating but I have to take that back because now they're messing you around, so if I was you I wouldn't settle for less than a full refund, and if that isn't paid very, very soon I'd claim it through PayPal and report the issue to BO.
  • Hi again,

So I just reported an issue and quite quickly (within minutes) after that I received a mesaage from the store that they have corrected the coupon. I think it has nothing to do with the report and now I would like to widthdraw my report - how can I do that?
  • And I'm still struggling... Is it possible to apply two coupons simultaneously?
    I got the store credit as a coupon (I'm cool with that). Since the pieces come from USA, then the transportation cost is obviously a lot to EU. The reason why I have bought from this store from the first place has been the free shipping coupons.
    Now, when adding the items in the stores cart and while doing the checkout, then I can only select one coupon and it is either free shipping or store discount. Is it something that has to be checked from the sellers side to be able to combine the coupons or am I now pushing it too much?
  • The seller can change your new coupon to include free shipping, but you cannot use to different ones at the same time.
  • Hello,

Just to update my saga with this seller. Made a new order for the coupon in 3rd of April (was processed on 13-th and shipped on 16-th of April) and received the package today (unharmed, transportation from US to EU less than a month).

I'm out of ideas how I should behave and act with this current store. I've always had good service so far and no complaints, but with this store... Problems with the current shipment:
    - Ordered Black (6239) Shuttle Tail 2 x 6 x 4 - received dark blue.
    - Ordered Black (41334) Knitted Cap - received two dark bluish gray (ordered one dark bluish gray and one black).
    - Ordered Sand Blue (3005) Brick 1 x 1 - ordered two, received none.
    - Ordered White Hose Reel 2 x 4 x 2 Holder with Decoration - ordered one, received none.
    - Ordered Yellow (53451 / 88513) Small Horn - ordered 4, received 3.
    There were also few extra pieces so okay... Total quantity of ordered spares was 99. Is it normal to have so many mistakes in one order? I've encountered some mistakes in orders before and then it has been like +-1 small part or something, but there are some quite apparent things that were missing or mismatched...
    How would you, the community, act at this point concidering that the saga has lasted over four months?

With regards,
  • This may not help in your current predicament, but as a seller I've always included a printed picking sheet, irrespective of size of order. I use this sheet to pick the order, then again when packing the order, to make sure I have the correct pieces, colours, condition and, where applicable, mold variations. This sheet is included with the order so the customer can see I have sent the correct parts. If there is an issue with supply (and yes, as the saying goes we are only human and mistakes do happen), the picking list flags this up at the time and I can contact the customer to explain and discuss options to rectify. I would never just send random colours or pieces, even if this was to 'make up' for a shortfall elsewhere.

As you state, you've never before had so many issues with the store in the past, so perhaps this is a one-off, and maybe it won't affect your decision to use them again, but it might be worth getting in touch again and explaining that they should notify you in advance if they cannot supply something, as this at least gives you the chance to source from another store (and not have to wait four months before discovering this!). Luckily you mentioned in an earlier post that they are responding to messages, so that's something, but in other respects they not exactly on top of their game and you seem to be losing out because of this, which in my books is not fair on you.
  • I agree with Jay37, it's not fair on you. You are entitled to the items you ordered and paid for, and yes they may have been genuine mistakes but the seller should put it right at their own expense. I would be mortified if I'd sent out an order with that many mistakes in it. I would be apologizing profusely and speedily sending out the missing items.
  • Personally? I would cut my losses. You're unlikely to get a satisfactory resolution from someone who is, at best, very slipshod when picking orders, or worse, deliberately sending the wrong stuff just because of the situation.
  • As Mrs Swoop said, I would HORRIFIED if I had that many errors in a single order... I think my largest fill (and most errors) was in a 300 lot order - there were three errors I want to say, which honestly made me a bit sick at heart (I strive for perfection, as do we most). I made it right - I even made it a bit TOO right according to the customer, but honestly, they were totally inconvenienced.

That many errors in a single order means the seller isn't paying close attention - that's really a problem. Hoddie really says it well - another seller seems to deserve your hard-earned money more.

As for the current predicament, obviously reach out and get it squared with them for a reshipment of the missing/incorrect items and/or a refund. And if not addressed within a reasonable amount of time, I would submit another issue report. You are incredibly nice and patient, but you also have MORE than done your part here - you paid, you should get what you paid for, you know? :-)
  • Just to update. Obviously I contacted the store and stated the mistakes and I got a quick reply that the will sort it out quickly. All said and done, let's wait for the next package. I also requested to have a trackable package. I'll keep you posted, but this situation as a whole is frustrating... I hope the third time will be a charm and I can forget this case...
  • And as time has passed - I don't have the package and seems that the seller didn't ship it with tracking and last message from the shop was on 19-th that they are having issues with USPS...

Sad for me is, that as an optimist, I made even an extra order so there would be even more items in that package and thus, I paid even more to the seller...

By the feedback, I'd say that the store might be good in local market, but when it comes to shipping abroad, then I'd suggest to stay away from bricksbythepound .
  • Ouch, that is a shame - I do wondering if that remains an intl shipping issue? I have bought from them inside of the US, and my experiences were quite positive (one was a pretty expensive order).
  • They never sent it. Usual playbook of dodgy sellers - send crap or incomplete orders, offer coupon for missing/crap bits, when buyer complains or tries to use the coupon, pretend to send the order only for it to magically go missing.

1,000s of successful orders result in a few hundred positive feedback ratings. But it's how a store deals with the unsuccessful orders that counts - they should have offered a refund in the first place, not a coupon. End of.
  • So today this ordeal has finally ended with a refund. Let's leave it as it is. Sad that this thing has taken so long, but at least it is over now.