New US postal rates

Will the site automatically update the checkout system with new domestic postal rates in effect January 26th, this is for the US only.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think we will have to update them ourselves. I plan on doing this tomorrow morning after I send out my last shipment in the morning. Then any new orders that come in after my drop in the morning won't ship out with the current rates but with the new rates Monday morning.
    Melissa
  • It would be a neat feature if Admin would make it so we could do a mass update by a certain number or percent.

We go into our US shipping method(s) and say increase by $X.YZ (or a percentage) click *update* and everything goes up by that amount in that particular shipping method. Also I would add where you can lower it too not just raise it.
  • I just sent emails to all my Request a Quote potential orders to inform them of the coming increase.

This is what I sent:
    Please note that your quoted shipping amount is about to expire. This is due to the shipping rate increase that goes into effect for all orders that do not ship out tomorrow. (New rates start with shipments that ship on Monday morning) So please take advantage of the lower rates that are still in effect and finalize your order tonight so I can ship your order in the morning.
    Melissa
    AAA Bricks Place
  • It would be a neat feature if Admin would make it so we could do a mass update by a certain number or percent.

We go into our US shipping method(s) and say increase by $X.YZ (or a percentage) click *update* and everything goes up by that amount in that particular shipping method. Also I would add where you can lower it too not just raise it.
    Unless you're charging actual shipping. The bands are not increasing at the same rate. 1-3oz is going up by 24c for electronic rate, then up by like 4c for 5oz and slowly increasing to 14c for 13oz.

Brian

• oh ok. I have not read much into it because I plan on keeping my rates the same, at least for now.
  • I do have on my list to do mass updates for shipping, would it help here, or not because of what DagsBricks mentioned?
  • Ours rates just changed too, I apparently was wrong with how many were changing.

I have some left to do, rates have gone up by a percentage that changes depending on the zone.

If there was a mass update for this I would find it very useful.

• I know, not much on your question about what Brian said, just a bit excited....

From the sounds of it you could find the right percentage increase to update and then correct the first value with the bump. Just how I am expecting what I am reading, the USA'ers can answer that.

• What would help us in the US is some sort of csv upload tool. The USPS prices are available as download files. I could download the source, apply a formula to convert pounds and ounces into grams, apply a uniform adjustment for packaging weight, and then upload to BO. For international, USPS has 4 first class country price groups x 17 tiers and 17 priority price groups x 70 tiers. That's 1,258 cells to manually key just for international. https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

Domestic is a little easier only because BO doesn't support zones. If BO could support zones, there are 9 zones x 70 rows x 2 service levels = another 1,260 cells. Without zones, I have to have everything in the highest price zone (which hurts some customers). The USPS provides a zone lookup data file that they update quarterly. It's just a matrix of from 3-digit to 3-digit with the zone listed at the intersecting cell. It would be easy enough for BO to build in to the shipping engine and allow sellers to optionally reference it in their shipping methods. https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=zonecharts

Alternately, what would REALLY help us US sellers is a true API. Allow us to enable/disable available methods, apply weight markup as a fixed or percentage to account for packaging, and allow cost markup as a fixed amount or percentage to account for fees & expenses. Then sellers don't have to fumble around with adding different methods to cover different country or zone groups. https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/list-of-apis.htm
  • You can tell BO to talk to you in Imperial measures. You wouldn't need to convert to fill your bands. See https://brickowl.com/user/343/edit.

Thankfully first class domestic up to 13oz doesn't have zones and I've had very few if any packages needing to go Priority.

The API would be spot on.
  • @DagsBricks The link you posted gives me an "Access Denied" message since it is specific to you. You are user #343. (Is this random? I am in the 700's. you beat me! lol)

Directions: Click your name in upper right, select "Profile", then the "Edit" tab. You will find the setting in their.

Yes, API would be best with a setting for us to adjust it to be X% higher or $X higher than post office for packaging.
  • Actually, that is the link for DADSAFOL specifically. I'm user316.

Brian
  • It looks like international stayed the same up to 2 ounces and looks like it went down across the board after that with Canada dropping below Europe in most weights
  • What I would find useful would be a check box to select the USPS weight band that matched my weight band, and then a handling charge field. Then when rates go up , you could just update the rate bands automatically.

Enoch
  • What would help us in the US is some sort of csv upload tool. The USPS prices are available as download files. I could download the source, apply a formula to convert pounds and ounces into grams, apply a uniform adjustment for packaging weight, and then upload to BO. For international, USPS has 4 first class country price groups x 17 tiers and 17 priority price groups x 70 tiers. That's 1,258 cells to manually key just for international. https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

Domestic is a little easier only because BO doesn't support zones. If BO could support zones, there are 9 zones x 70 rows x 2 service levels = another 1,260 cells. Without zones, I have to have everything in the highest price zone (which hurts some customers). The USPS provides a zone lookup data file that they update quarterly. It's just a matrix of from 3-digit to 3-digit with the zone listed at the intersecting cell. It would be easy enough for BO to build in to the shipping engine and allow sellers to optionally reference it in their shipping methods. https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=zonecharts

Alternately, what would REALLY help us US sellers is a true API. Allow us to enable/disable available methods, apply weight markup as a fixed or percentage to account for packaging, and allow cost markup as a fixed amount or percentage to account for fees & expenses. Then sellers don't have to fumble around with adding different methods to cover different country or zone groups. https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/list-of-apis.htm
    I think something like this is an excellent idea. @Admin (Lawrence) is there any chance of any thing like this?

• I've got a note about it on my desk, I'll look into it. Will probably be done before the next rate rise atleast.