Non-native English Speakers

For those of you where English is not your first language, I wanted to get your opinions on a few things.

I'm intending to translate much of the functionality of the website into various languages. I wondered what things "shouldn't" be translated. Things like buttons, page title etc obviously need to be translated, but I don't know when it comes to colours, part names, set names etc. would you expect "Brick 1 x 2" to be translated for example?

I also wondered, if your English comprehension is good, would you use the site in your native language, or in English? You will be ale to choose of course.

Thankyou for any input you may have on the multi lingual aspect of things.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If it helps I could probably arrange for a Spanish translation of the site, which would be EU Spanish rather than Latin American (US?) Spanish; I don't know which is the priority for you but I know there are many differences between the two.

I personally think that part and set names should only be translated if there's an official TLG name for them.

I wonder if you could use the language functionality to offer people the choice of which colour names they use - either English (TLG colour names) or English (Bricklink colour names)...? I much prefer TLG system but I know most people prefer the Bricklink colour system.
  • I could offer myself to translate it into Spanish (from Spain)
    . And I think that part names and colors should be a standard in English.

And to answer your Q, I myself would use it in English, but I also have my phone, computer, and pretty much every webpage I use that has options, in English, but I get a lot of people on BL that tell me that they can't manage themselves too much around because of the language.

The naming of the bricks isn't that important as it's just that, a name. It isn't a instruction telling you to do something, it is something that you associate with a picture and that's it.
  • edited January 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    That's a lot of work to do, if you want to translate the site. Dutch words are normally larger than English words, so you need more space on Buttons and titles. That's also my experience with translating sites or programs into different languages

I will prefer the English version of the site. I am used to the English words and terms used by AFOLS on several communities. If you want to translate the words like bricks or wedges into Dutch (or other languages), this will lead to more confusion, I think.

And normally I don't like sites with mixed languages. In this case the data will be English and the static text on the site will be translated into Dutch. That's not what I like (but that's my personal opinion).

But what do you intend to do? Do you think you will reach a broader audience with a translated site?
    Frank
  • Thanks for your thoughts, I think I will translate most of the site, but leave item names and categories/themes as they are.

To start with, everything will automatically be run through google translate, I've already done some of the work for a French version. Later, I will make an interface so people can suggest better translations for pieces of text.

The aim of translating the site is to make it easier to use for non English speakers, which there are obviously a lot of. It won't be perfect, but hopefully enough to purchase items,
  • Google translate is not the way to use it. Especially translations between Dutch and English are quite silly. You have to use your common sense to translate it. Google translate can be usefull, but just for words, not for whole sentences.

Well that's my experience.

If you need some help for Dutch translations, don't hesitate to contact me. I will certainly help if you provide a interface for better translations.

Frank

• Noted, I intend to use it as a basis. There are other options such as paid translation services as well if the language specific versions become popular.
  • It seems like a lot of extra work when you can right click on any page and select translate with Bing. Are these translators not accurate?

Just curious,
    PP
  • "Translation" is not "interpretation". Natural-language interpretation requires intelligence, it's not a process which can be automated. Machine translation is useful to get a rough idea or first approximation, but you want a native speaker involved pretty early in the process if possible.

I'd lovelovelove the ability to view and use the site in other languages. I'm a native speaker of American English but I speak some Spanish and it's fun to have a chance to use it.

• To start with, everything will automatically be run through google translate
    Please don't. Google Translate makes Spanish translated from any language look like a joke/robot/babbling. It's just plain disgusting and I know that some people would agree with me. Ofc, just my opinion. :)
  • I have NEVER had a good experience with Google Translate or any other automated online translation service. They don't even get the basics right. In fact, they often make it more difficult and confusing for whoever has to come along and clean up that translation. Better (and probably cheaper) for that person to just translate from the beginning.

It is like my work with contracts. Trying to work with and revise someone else's draft contract is often more work than if I just wrote it from scratch myself.

Thor