Shipping Orders from Europe to Australia

These are certainly unprecedented times. Due to insufficient air connections caused by the second wave Coronavirus pandemic, transport of mail between Europe and Australia is still very complicated. Typically it would take anything between two and three weeks for a package to arrive in Australia. These days it’s impossible to predict, but our experience shows that a delivery time of 3 to 4 months has become a new normal.

We always ship orders as Registered Post International, with a tracking number and signature-at-delivery. Nevertheless, once the package leaves our country (Czech Republic) no updates are shown until the package is delivered. The reason for this is given on Australia Post tracking page: "The tracking status 'product not trackable' might be shown for items sent using international services that don’t come with tracking as a standard feature (...) No track events will be shown for these items."

Australia Post is one of a few postal services that don't track Registered Post International. You can inquire them (which we did on several occasions and they were helpful) but they are not obliged to give you any info about the package's whereabouts, despite seeing certain scanning events in their internal system.

And yet we didn't stop shipping there. Our Australian customers can ask for a shipping quote – we explain the situation and prepare them for a rather long wait. Unfortunately, but understandably, most of them don't place their orders but I think it's important to be upfront with them.

So, European sellers and Australian buyers (and vice versa), what's your experience with doing business with each other these days?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is so spot on.

I have these last... meh 2 month now, gotten emails from costumers asking about their mail, and shipping times. And i am really so sorry that i cant say anything to them other than patience, patience aaannndd patience.

If you like to know where your mail is, use tracking service. Now i know that it is a sometimes rather expensive pay, if you only buy a small amount of bricks. Even so, the danish postservice "postnord" have increased the shipping payment, with a small amount, but still, my first orders cost me a bit on the shipping, because i had not noticed this.

So Denmark here, sending to well all over the world really, and nothing more to say than, "i hope you will get it soon"
  • PS: The best way actually for us as shops, is to ask all customers to mark their order "received" then we will have a complete knowledge from former orders, how long it takes to reach each part of the world.

For instance, i can see that i sold lego in late december, and to german, that took "only" 5-6 days. But someone who orders, and dont mark their order received, would i have no knowledge of. So with this way it can help us all.
  • I posted an order (from Belgium) to Australia on 5 Jan, just received feedback from the buyer today. It really is not possible to even guess when orders will arrive these days. I would have expected 3-4 weeks at least, not a week and 3 days.