LEGO bricks and/or parts not Lego's or Legos

edited January 2014 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
Out of respect to the company on which we all depend - The LEGO Group - as mentioned in their Terms of Service (Fair Play on their website).

may I politely request that folks stop making LEGO a plural?

BTW… Every time I speak with a new sales person on the phone - I make sure to mention Brick Owl - it doesn't hurt to let them know there is a "cleaner" sales venue…

It's just a matter of respect, really, not a big deal I guess...

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree. It also makes you look like such a noob to write Legos, and an uneducated noob to write Lego's. Just think of LEGO (use all caps BTW) as an adjective, not a noun.

Thor
  • I thought it was an American thing? See it all the time on Pintrest, drives me crazy!!!
  • The correct usage should be as per LEGO's :)
  • I agree. It also makes you look like such a noob to write Legos, and an uneducated noob to write Lego's. Just think of LEGO (use all caps BTW) as an adjective, not a noun.

Thor
    Lawrence, I believe he is referring to you! Look to the Forum menu on the right ----->>>

:)

• Is there a reason it's meant to be in uppercase? Or just a branding thing. Sometimes I forget and think its an abbreviation.
  • I have to say though, it doesn't bother me in the least. I do use it properly now to keep from getting attacked in the forums as I did on BL years ago. However, I was raised one way and I recognize it and understand what people are referring to rather they are spelling it LEGO, Lego's, Lego, etc... To me it is quite petty to worry about someone else's grammar etiquette which is precisely what this is.

When listing LEGO or in some way, shape, or form representing the company and or its product, I would agree with you. BUT normal people having a chat in a forum or sending an email discussing LEGO are free to speak of it anyway they like IMO.

And technically shouldn't it be LEGO® and not LEGO if you are infact going straight off of their fair play page?

Just my opinion,
    PP
  • Is there a reason it's meant to be in uppercase? Or just a branding thing. Sometimes I forget and think its an abbreviation.

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/legal-notice/fair-play

• I think we are all old enough to have received a note on this topic signed by Susan Williams.

When speaking in a formal context, follow her advice. Elsewhen, it's a matter of personal preference. I've been calling these things Legos for more than forty years- "LEGO brand building elements" just doesn't flow for me.

[I]> may I politely request that folks stop making LEGO a plural?[/I]

I'd like to see people stop trying to use it as a mass noun, personally.

Edit- no italics? Your better fora have a standard option for italic text. Just sayin'.
  • I ran into a legal issue with LEGO not too long ago. (Nothing serious and it was really nothing and has since been resolved)

Under this encounter with them, it was specifically mentioned to me to use "LEGO" in all caps and no apostrophe symbols or plural.

Chris

• erm… I did say "politely" and also "out of respect" after all there is but one company that makes all this possible. I realize this comes up periodically and also realise that some have pluralized LEGO for "a long time"...

I also had a little legal contact with TLG - they throw out a cease and desist IF you register a domain name that begins with LEGO, which I did, and which I handed over to them…

With regard to a "mass noun" that's something else .. as in "built with LEGO"? I'll have to ask next time I have a chance.

To those that use the plural - what about Technic parts do they get called Lego's too? Or would they be Technic's? ;)

and lastly I had a real battle with "a Lady" who sold me 8kg of LEGO on eBay which turned out to be half MeggaBlocks - she actually left me feedback stating that "I didn't know what LEGO is"!! Because she insisted that it was ALL LEGO. I ended up £10 out of pocket on return postage.

/rant

• yaddayaddaitalics testyaddayadda

You're stuck on BL Tim, it's <, not [ ;-)
  • Angle brackets for formatting tags?
    To call that "non-standard" would be using a polite euphemism. :)

At least emoticons work as expected. So far, at least. ;)