Just another British VAT question...

How do British customs officers know that the VAT on orders from the EU has been already paid in advance? Do they have to open the package, find the invoice and check if the amount paid includes 20% tax? Why should they believe that's true – do they check with BrickOwl?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I sent an email to BO a few minutes ago asking for their VAT number, as I think this needs to be shown on the invoice, possibly together with BO's business address. I left it late to ask as it didn't occur to me earlier, and I didn't want to miss the post so I just sent a UK order with a note inside addressed to HMRC in case they open/inspect. I'm sure there'll be some grace period before they begin to come down harshly, but it is a question that needs answering.
  • The text of their policies sounded like they essentially will not be checking any packages with a declared value under £135. I was surprised there is nothing in the way of explanation as to how you should document that the Import VAT had been paid. But this is just my opinion, certainly printing the invoice will be a good idea until we know what's going on.
  • As a side note, non-UK Brick Owl shops are now at a huge disadvantage compared to the UK shops, because our bricks have become 20% more expensive on the UK market. I'm not a registered VAT payer here in Czech Republic and my bricks' prices are already burdened with 21% local VAT. This additional UK VAT may be the reason to stop shipping to the UK, unfortunately.
  • You should always include an invoice when an order crosses a customs border (when putting a CN22/23 on). Failure to do so can result in lengthy delay and even seizure or return of the package.

@Pikka - not necessary to stop shipping to the UK, though admittedly you will likely see less orders.