Server Issues

As many of you will probably have noticed, the website has been intermittently up and down for around 12 hours. After many red herrings, I eventually traced the issue to an overheating processor. As the processor overheated, it would throttle the processor which slowed everything to a crawl. The host should now have fixed the cooling on the server.

I greatly apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, it will certainly have resulted in a reduction of orders today.

Going forward, I will make a plan for having a second server to mitigate the chances of this happening again.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks, Lawrence. There was a message on the welcome page, and - great! - not only you took care of the problem on a Sunday, also, instead of leaving us in the dark you tell us what has happened. Wonderful site here !!!!
  • I also think it is great. You effectively took care of the situation and fixed it as quickly as humanly possible, especial as @aladine said, on a Sunday.

I can imagine it now though, @Admin purchased a window cooling unit, has the server opened up with the A/C unit blasting inside it. :P

Chris
  • @budgetkids The server is actually in a datacentre in France, I don't think you lot would be very pleased if I ran the server from my house on my broadband connection.

Fortunately since I posted that message everything still looks normal on the server so there shouldn't be any more of the up-and-down.
  • You could always upgrade the connection!
    I figured it wasn't in your home.

It is always fun to reference the movies that depict large servers and 10 flat screen TVs in an overly large set-up with a 30yr old who lives in moms basement. Then mom yells down to him "I just finished washing your underwear for tomorrow" as you invite friends downstairs to see your set-up.
  • I'm afraid my setup is far less stereotypical, but that sounds fairly accurate of a few years ago.
  • Lawrence as always = Top Jolly!!

Just curious - what's the Miami connection?
    (Cloud Fair or something)
  • They're a CDN to speed up delivery of static content like images.
  • I thought all you need do is "Try turning it off and turning it back on again" ;)

@ Budgetkids on from that - sounds like Richmonds "room"
  • As many of you will probably have noticed, the website has been intermittently up and down for around 12 hours. After many red herrings, I eventually traced the issue to an overheating processor. As the processor overheated, it would throttle the processor which slowed everything to a crawl. The host should now have fixed the cooling on the server.

I greatly apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, it will certainly have resulted in a reduction of orders today.

Going forward, I will make a plan for having a second server to mitigate the chances of this happening again.
    Looks like everyone waited till you got it fixed, I wasn't expecting to be quite so busy!!

• It is always fun to reference the movies that depict large servers and 10 flat screen TVs in an overly large set-up with a 30yr old who lives in moms basement. Then mom yells down to him "I just finished washing your underwear for tomorrow" as you invite friends downstairs to see your set-up.
    Will always remember to the 'Warlock' in Die Hard 4. :D

Thanks for the fix!