New Customer / Wrong Address / Now wants Refund

Got an order the other day, it was shipped to the VERIFIED PayPal address as ALL my orders are. Now the customer is conplaining his $0.70 in parts never arrived and wants a refund, or me to ship the parts again !! WTH?? Is it really my fault his PayPal address was wrong? The ship to and billing on BO are different, but the SHIP TO: on PayPal is the same as the Billing address in BO..

So who is at failt?

I never use any Ship To address other than the Verified Ship To in PayPal. Those are the rules with PP...

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If he has a problem with it being delivered to the wrong address then he should call usps and tell them it was delivered to the wrong address and see if he can get it (if its like he no longer lives there than the person who lives there now would realize it was not for them [you would think] and put not at this address). the only reason I would personally be mad at not receiving a package for $0.70 is if I payed more than $7 for shipping... you could offer to refund him for the parts (if it means that much to him) but not shipping... he may leave bad feedback though...
  • This is a bit tricky - I enforce the same store terms (I only ship to the PayPal shipping address). Note tho BO requires you to ship to the shipping address noted in BO. Since BO kindly puts a big banner on the top of the order that the shipping and billing addresses differ, I've found it easy to reach out to the customer to note the two addresses differ and ask them to change their PayPal shipping address so they can realize payment protection - that's only happened a few times (most customers change it in advance, e.g., a parent on travel shipping to their child), but people have been awesome about doing it. A win-win.

As for the situation you are in, I suspect you may have to bite the costs - BO's terms clearly state we have to ship to the shipping address here in BO (yes, I know that does not sync with PayPal's terms), so the best bet may be to go ahead and reship or refund the customer (since it's such a small amount) and write it off your taxes - also a win-win for all (explaining to the customer the issue with differing addresses and how having the correct one in PayPal ensures they are protected - they don't care obviously that we are protected too, so make it about them).

Good luck, this is just my respectful opinion for your consideration! :-)
  • I dont understand why you dont ship to the address written under ship to.

Who ever owns the paypal address might not be the one who gets or needs the lego.
    If a parent buy a lego set for christmas as of these days. He might want to ship it to the mothers house where the child is staying. Hence you shipping to any other address would get me a little angry as well.

I have always used the shipping address, and have a few orders where the paypal was another.
    So i would say you are at fault.

We have 3 different "notes" about shipping, payment, and "owner" It is there for a reason. The only one you should take notes of as a seller in my view, is where your costumer wants it send to.
  • BO require you to ship to the shipping address as given on BO. But in order to be covered by PayPal's seller protections, you need to ship to the shipping address provided by them. It's a difficult position for a seller to be in but thankfully quite rare in my experience. You can only judge each such order on its merits.
  • But that is paypals terms. As a buyer or seller for that matter, i would think that what ever "rules" are stated here on brickowl is the one buyer and/or seller is following.

If we as sellers are so "scared" about loosing our money on a sale gone wrong. I would suggest only have a shipping with track and trace, or just think about how you want to run your store.

We are not a store on our own site and rules, we have some underlying rules to follow. And most buyers would think we follow those too.
  • I already refunded and blocked him as a customer after he thretened to have the CC company reverse the charge...

99% of the time, I do tell the customer that they need to update their address if there is a mis-match. I acutally have a blanket letter saved for it because it has happened so many times.

I do track every single part we send out. USPS via PP with tracking, and insurance on any order over $50. But if you ship a $100 order to ANY other address than the one listed as the PayPal Ship To address, they WILL deny any insurance claim you make if the package is lost or damaged.

This is something BO NEEDS to change and FIX in their policies !!! There is no way I'm shipping a large order anywhere but the PP verified shipping address. This needs to be resolved!
  • I doubt BO will change that policy. It's perfectly legitimate for a customer's billing and shipping addresses to be different, and BO doesn't know what addresses will be supplied by PayPal until the payment has been processed.

The issue you've met is not exclusive to PayPal, it's just that PayPal make it easier for the customer to assert their right to a remedy. If you accept credit card payments - via Stripe for example - and the buyer's billing address is different to their shipping address, if you ship to the wrong address you have broken the contract and the customer could ask for their money back (or initiate a chargeback if you refuse).

It may be possible for BO to integrate differently with PayPal so that the customer must specify the delivery address with PayPal rather than BO, but I don't know if that's even an option.
  • I agree with [email protected]. You should ship to the address that they entered for the shipping address.

I have two reasons that I say that. The first is that someone could be the person who handles the bills for an elderly person (not saying that it is likely for an elderly to use LEGOS) and gets the bills sent to them instead of the elderly person, but the package still sent to the elderly person. So that means that the billing address on PayPal would be different from the shipping address to actually send the package to.

The second reason is that it could be someone paying for and sending something to a family member or friend that doesn't have an account. In that case, the addresses would be different.
  • I hope you get this issue solved soon and without much if any cost to you. :smile:
  • I always ship to the BO shipping address so I don't have experience of this and I have a question.

How does the buyer change the shipping address in Paypal after the order has been placed? Is it enough that they then just add a different address to their Paypal account? And how do you know that they've done it?
  • One of the many beautiful things about BrickOwl is the customer-based service- when our store was larger and getting orders, we saw many examples of non-custodial parents allowing their kids to order and have shipped to them. Always honored the banner that the shipping address was different from...Sometime sent a message with no response...and sometimes was what others in previous threads noted of just a zip code or other typo with a “Thanks- have taken care of that!” response. We also, as buyers, have ordered to have shipped to our extended family, added the explanatory message at purchase, and/or sent a separate PM, including international buys, with great results!
    Don’t know what the PayPal difference is for other web purchases from larger sellers, but they always allow us to send to another recipient.
    Would not wish to have this feature removed. 🙂