Bad customer discussion

At what point does this customer lose their privileges. I can't believer there are that many problems with BO sellers.

Tyson.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Would you cancel this order? Looking for some advice. The feedback has some prominent stores on it that gave good feedback, however they are in Europe, me in Canada with slow shipping due to COVID.

Should I just eat the PayPal fee and not risk it...?
  • I would hesitate with the order. Depending on how big it is. No matter where such a person is from.
  • Depends on the order and the kind of shipping requested, and how much would it cost (you) extra to ship with delivery conformation. And is that extra cost worth the order amount.

Maybe a buyer with a certain percentage of (recent) chargebacks and/or ONR's should not be able to place orders directly, but only with the request a quote option, that way a seller could give a quote with the appropriate shipping for such a buyer.
  • @leopard37 German buyer right? I think this is the same person I had this year and I was definitely concerned. I always leave feedback first and I didn't for this one (they left it in a Shipped state and never set it to Received).

Another member also confirmed having them and it turned out ok. I used UPS with NetParcel so it was faster and cleared customs instantly rather than have it traverse Royal Mail and customs manually (so no risk of "where is my package" during customs). They missed the first attempt and payment of customs, but then the next day they went to get it. Same experience for another seller to this person. I agree that there should be a point where a certain number of disputed ONRs/chargebacks is a ban. It's abusive and we can't do anything about it, especially since PayPal changed their policies and aren't refunding transaction fees either. Puts sellers in a really bad spot.
  • I certainly understand members concerns with this customer. Generally we don’t ban customers unless there is definite fraud, as the customer would just make another account. So we prefer the customer keeps the account and the associated chargeback information.
  • Thanks for the reply Lawrence. I do agree with BasKrie though. As sellers we should have the ability to switch high risk customers to something like quote only. This will enable us to either drop the order, or to add insurance to the postage to cover ourselves.
  • I have shipped two times to this customer without any problem (one high value). I recommend robust tracking as brickowl says - no problems here.
  • Thanks @Lawrence. I'd like to +1 the above suggestions. I completely understand the logic behind keeping their account and tracking it due to the risk of them trying to bypass any blocks based on shipping address.

Myself, like others who are getting the warning from this buyer are spending a lot extra in additional insurance and shipment methods to protect which is not usually required for the average buyer (not to mention, we can't tell if any of the ONRs were a result of them not paying customs fees/picking up the international item and it returning at the cost of the sender back to the seller. This one was actually my biggest concern).

If there is a method to enforce quote only for such buyers after X # of ONRs, it can make sure that especially sellers who offer untracked options can have the opportunity to charge a proper tracked/insured service instead.
  • +1 (do not bar them, but consider changing BO terms to setting customers to quote only when X number of ONRs are hit)
  • Yes +1 for the quote only suggestion. Please give us the chance to make the decision before the order is placed.
  • I had an order from them and i cancelled it, they didn't make any fuss and i would recommend that everyone else does the same.

It was good that we were notified that they were a potential problem so well done Lawrence and i agree with the comment that we should be able to make high risk customers have to ask for a quote.

It's the first problem like this that i've come across in 6 years so i will forget them and move on.
  • @leopard37 Both @Emporiosa and myself have had an order from (we assume) the same client. We both shipped them with extended tracking and in-house customs through UPS, which turned out very well. My package was delivered within 6 days, one failed attempt. No negative result, no chargeback.

If you decide to move forward, I can strongly recommend using UPS or DHL over USPS. Both UPS and DHL have inhouse custom clearance, which I assume might have caused the chargebacks in the past. Long waiting lines at the regular mail customs in Germany, and some challenges in Germany where if there is doubt about wether or not the LEGO is real, they might confiscate the items.

Good luck!