US Sellers: USPS San Diego (California) Distribution Center Hold-Ups

All, just a note - if your orders run through the San Diego Distribution Center at all, I am seeing several items go into a black hole there (one is since Thanksgiving). And USPS is not responding to tracking requests; normally I get a response within 24 hours, the first one I've been waiting a full week now.

Note that I ship all items with bar-coded labels and tracking (I print postage via PayPal).

Clearly - just like many places around the nation - they are SLAMMED. I know from speaking with local USPS over the year, that they have been operating at holiday levels PLUS reduced staffing since the Spring due to COVID-19 (more people order delivered items due to stay-at-home order, plus sick call within the staffing). They have done exemplary when you take that all into consideration.

Now we add the actual holidays on top of that plus new stay-at-home orders (at least in this region of CA) plus a COVID spike on top of a COVID spike, and... you get a black hole for some items and a significant slowdown for some others at the San Diego Distribution Center.

While I am very sure they are busting butt and doing everything they humanly can (I dislike all the lazy civil servant jokes - I know thse folks work very hard, on the whole <s>), please be aware that at least this region of Southern California is seeing significant slowdown (orders seem to take nearly twice as long to traverse from CA to say FL right now) and MIA mail in some cases.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Oh for sure.

In Denmark europe, all the smaller "collect package" shops, and places are swamped in their small stockrooms, they have double the amount of packages that they can have. So it surely is a crazy time.

My father in law works for gls, and he say it is like nothing they have ever seen before. The amount they have on a daily base is something they would have "hoped" for in 2022 compared to their logistic size of their own warehouse and collection spots.

The buyers asking me for their track and trace, have been really kind and understandable as to when i say i cant really do anything, or see more than what they can see. Hopefully it will be better in january. Or not, when a new "after holiday" sales runs amok :-D
  • Agree, customers have been really understanding on the whole! We are all in this together. So sorry to hear Denmark is going through a similar situation (in terms of the insane shipping volume the delivery system is going through). I agree, hopefully mid-to-late January will get much better!
  • My Post Office told me they will process Xmas packages right after they finish sorting the Mailing Ballots from the November 2020 elections ;)