Any good sites to help differentiate mold variations?

Although I don't officially differentiate mold variations in my store I do try to do so.
While parting out a few sets I've seen u or o clip and x or + hole. Tried to guess as I couldn't tell from the photos and without seeing what the other looks like its a bit tricky!

Any good sites to help differentiate mold variations?

Maybe it's something that could be added to this site somewhere?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • With some parts you can tell by the pictures if you click through the different variations. If there are any particular ones, other members can probably help describe them.
  • It was Green Round Plate 2 x 2 with Axle Hole (Older Style with '+' Axle Hole) (4032)
    Hole looks the same on both types in green. Have now looked at black and seen the difference I think!
  • The holes on those can be easily identified. The old style is a distinct "+" (plus) shape, whereas the other style is more x shape.
  • For mold variations, the BrickLink catalog is hard to beat (sorry Lawrence).

For that particular part, the + orientation has four identical spokes. The x variation does not. Functionally, they are identical.

ugh... mold variations.

Enoch
  • @Markyd7

This picture attached may be what you were looking for off the start, confirm what you have figured out already. ;)

If you have any others giving you problems mention them, good incentive to work on things people are having issues with.

All goes well the catalog should show this comparison pic soon.

• Thanks for all your help.
    I wasn't sure if the + hole was just rotated 45 degrees to make a x hole.
    Seeing the photo above confirms what I'd worked out.

Here's another.
    1-x-1 with vertical clip thick open o clip (4085-60897-93793) or u clip.
    So the difference between o and u clip? I think there's thick and thin option on this as well?
  • Thick and thin is obvious if you put them next to each other, the U- or O- clip is not, you have to look sideways at the part to note the difference.
  • Thanks for all your help.
    I wasn't sure if the + hole was just rotated 45 degrees to make a x hole.
    Seeing the photo above confirms what I'd worked out.

Here's another.
    1-x-1 with vertical clip thick open o clip (4085-60897-93793) or u clip.
    So the difference between o and u clip? I think there's thick and thin option on this as well?
    Check the picture on this page:
    http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/2214/parts-in-lego-set
    a: Thin open 'O'
    b: Thin U
    c: Thick U
    d: Thick open 'O'

• @Admin This thread gave me an idea. Could we get a Mold Variations page in the Help section that lists known mold variations with comparison pictures? You could link to it from parts with variations and from the disclaimer within stores. Jason (DadsAFOL) used to have a list posted, but I think he took it down recently. He'd probably send you a copy.

Enoch
  • Again thanks for the help.
    Was also going to suggest something similar, maybe a Help section in the Forum for Mold Vatiations or other helpful info like brick colour. All the colours in one type brick of as few brick types as possible lined up next to each other in a well lit photo would be helpful. (Probably all ready out there)

Mark
  • @Loremonger The way I intend to deal with mold variations is with comparison pictures like @walstib very helpfully provides. Usually, if we have pictures of both types of the part, the pictures are sufficient to tell the difference. I'm not sure having a page that lists them all would be very helpful, there are thousands.
  • Here's the crude page I build for my store. Feel free to reference it. It would be pretty easy to replicate this dynamically from the BO catalog using the variations linkage.

https://www.dadsafol.com/newvar.php
  • edited January 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Oops looks like I've tagged all my +'s as X's.
  • @Hoddie You have a 99.9% chance that your customers will not care, or even notice for that matter.
  • Only a couple of years late to this conversation but new users may stop by with the same queries so I'd like to add that I find (for many items) Rebrickable have some very good differentiating images.