Address formatting

On the orders page, the address is formatted in a certain way, mostly to UK standards. I have added an exception for France to put the zip code before the city. Could any members in other countries let me know if the address needs formatting in a certain way for delivery in that country.

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • in Germany also, zip code comes before the city
  • edited January 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Okay, do you use "Region", if so, where do you put that, before the zip code?
  • We don't use "Region" inside germany
  • In Portugal:
    street address
    zip code / city
    (NO REGION)
  • In Poland:
    street, house/flat number
    zip code, city
    (no region)
  • Belgium:
    Street, house number, flat number
    zip code, city
    (no region)
    In the Netherlands it is formatted like this:
    name
    Street housenumber
    zip code city
    (country if other than NL)

region is not used
  • In the Netherlands it is formatted like this:
    name
    Street housenumber
    zip code city
    (country if other than NL)

region is not used
    Do your postal codes include 2 letters or is that a region? I have had many orders to Netherlands with postal code in the format 1234 AB.

Brian

• Do your postal codes include 2 letters or is that a region? I have had many orders to Netherlands with postal code in the format 1234 AB.

Brian
    That is part of the postal code, I think they all are 4 numbers followed by 2 letters.

Gerrit

• Yes

The Dutch zipcode is in the format

1234 AB

followed by the cityname.

• The Dutch zipcode is in the format 1234 AB (AB is just a code to narrow the four digits. The digits stands for a small region (not a county). The lettercode points to a part in the street. A street can have 1234 AB (nrs 1,3,5,7 etc) and 1234 AA stands for example for the nrs 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.
  • Got it. We do the same in the United States with a 12345-6789 (zip+4) format. But internally, the post office can identify a specific address with a 12345-678901 (zip+4+2) format.

Brian
  • In the Netherlands it's enough to put

1234 AB 8 (zipcode + housenumber)

as the address on a letter. It's very minimalistic, nobody is using it, but the postman knows where the letter has to be delivered to.
  • I wish somebody would "help" PayPal with this information!
  • Hi Lawrence,
    Can you please omit the region in Dutch shipping addresses? We are just a small country and don't need the region (or county) to get the letters in the right letterboxes. :-)

And is it also possible to leave the country out of the shipping address, when your country is the same country as the shipping country, when you use the print label button?
  • Region is now optional, it didn't used to be so many Europeans filled it in. Ignoring the region field now would be dangerous. Going forward people will probably stop filling it in.

I considered removing the country for local addresses, but I'm not sure if all countries adopt that, so I've left it for now.
  • In Japan (and several other Asian nations), you go from big to small, but with the zip code first. So, for example:

657-0011 (zip code)
    Japan (country)
    Hyogo-ken (prefecture)
    Kobe-shi (city)
    Nada-ku (ward)
    Shinohara Nakamachi (neighborhood)
    2-5-12 (block and house/building number)
    303 Rokko Gardens (building name and unit number)
    Beat Takeshi (individual name)

Which you can combine as follows:

657-0011 Japan
    Hyogo-ken, Kobe shi, Nada-ku
    Shinohara Nakamachi 2-5-12-303
    Beat Takeshi

It will still get there if you write it the opposite way from small to big. Most Japanese mail carriers are quite familiar with the western style of addressing.
    Adressformat for Cermany (UPU)

Prename Name / Company
    Addition
    Street Housenumber
    Zip-Code Location
    LAND

For example:

FUM Store
    Matthias Wollenberg
    Kaiser-Wilhelm-Allee 39
    42117 Wuppertal
    DEUTSCHLAND / GERMANY

http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingUnit/deuEn.pdf
    http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloader/descriptionPostcodesAddressingAddressElementsEn.pdf
    http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloader/descriptionPostcodesGuideToTheHeadingsUsedInThisChapterEn.pdf

i hope it is a help

mattwoll
    FUM Store
  • Lawrence,
    Almost all my order shipping addresses for US orders are missing the State.
    Melissa
  • @johnsma2000 that made me jump up. Could you give an example order number? I can't see anything amiss taking a quick look at the code.
  • Also on my end, PayPal's shipping program (PayPal Multi Order Shipping) has stopped pulling all Brick Owl orders into the software. I am not sure why. The only thing that I see the same on all orders is that the State is completely spelled out and not abbreviated. This just started recently for me.

Also note, this only affects US based orders as the program doesn't import International orders only domestic.
  • Order #3170137
    Order #1001380
    Melissa
  • Oh, it doesn't appear to be a system issue, they just didn't enter their state in their address.

I do intend to create drop downs for USA addresses at some point so I guess it will be dealt with then.
  • I've been using their zip code to verify the state with a google search. I'll just continue to do that to be sure I send to the correct address.
    Melissa
  • Also on my end, PayPal's shipping program (PayPal Multi Order Shipping) has stopped pulling all Brick Owl orders into the software. I am not sure why. The only thing that I see the same on all orders is that the State is completely spelled out and not abbreviated. This just started recently for me.

Also note, this only affects US based orders as the program doesn't import International orders only domestic.

To add to this, I just researched some current orders and filed orders and I believe that is the case. Every PayPal order that used a states abbreviation was pulled into PayPal's shipping program. Every PayPal order that spelled the name out completely instead of abbreviating it did not.

Interesting,

PP
  • I've been using their zip code to verify the state with a google search. I'll just continue to do that to be sure I send to the correct address.
    Melissa
    I had the same issue on a couple orders. They didn't have a state name. Fortunately on my occurrences they previously had a PayPal account and their address was correct and confirmed there. I only ship to PayPal addresses when a PayPal payment is made so it wasn't an issue.

PP