After Brexit: UK buyers can expect fewer shops to ship to the UK - discussion

The Brexit requires business sellers from all over the world to register for an EORI number from the UK Government. Furthermore: for all sales up to GBP139 the seller has to pay VAT to the British Government. Which adds another 20% or so to every order from Britain. About 10% of my orders are from Britain.

I could ship as a personal seller but the minimum postage would be €7.50 (untracked) or €13.00 (tracked). Compare this to my shipping rates right now: at the moment I can ship to the UK for €2.94 and upwards --depending on weight-- untracked and €9.49 and upwards for tracked shipments. Same as all other countries in the world.

So I see myself forced to exclude Great Britain from the list of countries I can ship to. I ship to almost any country without problems and with reasonable shipping costs, but when the new rules from Boris Johnson go into effect on Jan. 1st that will be history.

I'm sorry to see my British customers go. Brexit is bad for LEGO fans in Britain. It's bad for anyone in Britain who likes to buy from abroad :-((

@Lawrence: I think this will affect your business as well. Thoughts?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • See https://www.postnl.nl/en/campaigns/brexit/ for information in English about the postal requirements for Dutch sellers. I assume sellers from Germany and other countries in mainland Europe will face similar requirements/restrictions.
  • As a Brit living in Belgium it saddens me greatly, but I will stop sending parcels to the UK as of 21 December. I will re-evaluate once the dust settles and the processes are working as intended. I'm not even sure that bPost is as prepared as PostNL seems to be.
  • In effect UK buyers to used to buy from Europe are now likely to purchase from a British store and vice versa for the European buyers.
  • I remember seeing stats some time ago, that UK was 3rd largest market for LEGO, behind USA and D.

Personally I would think that the internal UK market will increase in volume and sales, a reversal of what happened as a result of common market, then "the EU".

SO yes fewer stores outside UK will ship there, but UK businesses will pick up the slack, could be beneficial all round... as they say "time will tell"
  • We from Bricks-Shop will continue to ship to UK. For sure sometimes the things get worse and more complicated, but shipping to some other countries is also crazy. We have to fullfill a few new things, but if this is done one time, we can continue.
    For example if we sell via the 4-color-letter-page to Australie, they directly add some VAT to the selling price which is shown on my invoice. But I never see this money, but I have to handle it.

I think after a first time of confusion everything will continue in a smooth way. LEGO is a fantastic toy / collection / passion and should be available everywhere on the planet.

Best regards,
    Oliver from Bricks-Shop.