brickstock / bricksync

good morning y'all :smile: my other self had its selling privileges revoked on "the other" platform because of a store-terms infringement.
I feel it is a big bureaucracy so little transparency about when this matter will be settled even after talking to the helpdesk I feel most are standard replies and "queue until we want to do something/maybe".

Now my main question ; seeing as the other site was my primary means of keeping stock up to date ( e.g. when building mocs or when assigning item locations ) but access to inventory is blocked there. And since my head is sometimes dizzy because I have had covid-19 and not yet fully recovered ...

Can anyone provide me with an easy guide as to how I can keep my stock up to date using brickstock/bricksync without visiting the other site and in a way that is still manageable and feels secure ? I assume brickstock will have to serve as "master". Do I have to cut the ties to the other platform on bricksync ?

Thanks a lot guys :wink:

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Bricksync needs an open BL store in order to work. When using Bricksync, it's Bricksync that maintains the master inventory, and you can update the inventory either on Bricklink using blmaster mode on Bricksync, or directly in Bricksync by introducing .bsx files.
  • ok thanks very much for your reply. So if I understand correctly I should compile changes in brickstock and substract .bsx files in bricksync directly. Then once the dust settles and my permissions restored, I need to "sync" once, so BL gets whatever changes that were made in the meantime ? (that is assuming i can get bricksync to work without a BL connection ...). Thanks for your fast reply :smiley:
  • When first run, Bricksync picks up your Bricklink inventory to use as its own master. If you don't have an open Bricklink store, you won't be able to use Bricksync.

There are other options out there but I'm not familiar with them. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
  • What is BrickSync logging telling you at the moment?
    If all goes well BS is maintaining his master inventory, updating it with sales done here, once BS can reach your BL inventory it will do a deep sync and BL should get synced form the master inventory.

However, I would take some extra steps to assure things.
    Take copy of the master file from the moment your BL store gist suspended, and keep copies of all bsx files from sales here. Once BL things get cleared up check if the deep sync has done a good job, if not, start with substracting the orders from the master inventory, just open al sale files in Brickstock, put them all in 1 file and use that to update the master.

To check if the deep sync has run properly you can take a look at the BrickOwl log, there should be no inventory changes the moment deep sync has run. BS logging also should show no changes to the BO inventory
  • thanks for your expertise, indeed it is impossible to escape BLmaster mode which I was in the night it got shut down;

INFO: We will disable the BrickLink Master Mode.
    INFO: All changes applied to the BrickLink inventory will be integrated.
    INFO: Fetching the BrickLink Order List...
    WARNING: Failed to connect to server, trying again shortly...
    ERROR: Too many connection errors, giving up.
    ERROR: Exiting the BrickLink Master Mode has been aborted.
  • ouch, that makes things more difficult. And that is why you should not stay in BL master mode for too long when having 2 active shops.
    I'm not sure how BS handles this and what it does with BO orders, but in this state BS isn't the master inventory anymore, the BL one is.
    So when your BL shop is turned on again, BS wil then get the BL inventory and that will become the BS master, so the BO orders aren't processed. I'm not sure if those orders will then be processed after that :(

If BS is still getting the BO orders in and creating bsx files you can get the inventory corrected, just keep a good eye on the items you sell to verify a correct inventory.
  • Your best option will be to keep BrickLink store closed, until you fix things.

When you are ready to reopen your BL store, keep bricksync OFF and BL store closed

delete your BrickLink inventory

Use owl2bsx to get your then current inventory from brickowl into a bsx file

Close your BrickOwl store

Open that bsx file in brickstock then export to BrickLink, depending on how many lots you may need to break up your inventory into "chunks" and upload each one.

Once it's all uploaded, open your BrickLink store and start up bricksync, check inventory matches then open BrickOwl store.

I did this when going across platforms after being absent from BrickLink for several years.

It maybe advisable to delete the master inventory in bricksync before syncing as it will now pickup the master fromBL.
  • * "maybe" your best option
  • That would loose all items that aren't synced from BL to BO, think about BO items that have no BLID, or items that don't excist on BO (yet).
  • @BasKrie
    Sure does I had to go thru over 200 changes mostly Star Wars mf' s where BL added a zero. Then manually sort out and add all the rest that BL didn't recognize mostly decorated parts.
    BUT it was the only way it took many hours. At least I had both stores operating albeit without the items I had to add, which I did bit by bit over a month or so. It was a small fraction of value of inventory.

This "maybe" the only option for @brickopolis
  • I think there is an easier option, but depends whether or not BS is still collecting the BO orders, but probably not processing them in the BS master inventory.
    If so, the BS inventory from the moment the BL store got closed is the starting point, it holds every item that was on sale at that moment.
    The file can be handled with BrickStock, deleting all items from the BO orders from that file gets the 'current' inventory.
    As soon as the BL store is open, stop BS, delete all BL inventory (first make a backup) en upload the 'current' inventory file to BL, make a backup of the BO inventory, then restart BS, let it come of BL master mode.
    At this point I think a deep sync will start, if all is well a perfect match should be reported (unless there are new items/BLIDS on BO that can now sync), but no major changes should occur to the BO inventory (should be checked in the inventory management on BO).

I know a lot of maybes and perhaps, and a lot of checking is needed.
  • BrickSync will NOT work/run unless you have an open BL store. In all honesty I'm not even sure why you'd want to bother with it, the whole point of it is to sync inventories across two platforms.

If you just want a secondary inventory management tool, check out brickfreedom.com.
  • Hoddie, one of the questions was how to handle things once the BL store is reopened :)
    I agree that in case of only a BO store, Bricksync is useless.

"ok thanks very much for your reply. So if I understand correctly I should compile changes in brickstock and substract .bsx files in bricksync directly. Then once the dust settles and my permissions restored, I need to "sync" once, so BL gets whatever changes that were made in the meantime ? (that is assuming i can get bricksync to work without a BL connection ...). Thanks for your fast reply :smiley:"