Brickowl's Checkout and shipping estimator

Has anyone else had an issue with the shipping estimator that the system uses to be a little askew on their weights. Tonight was the third issue I have in as many orders. A customer bought a small new set, 6865, which mind you has to be shipped in a box, it would get crushed in a bubble mailer. So the system gives the customer a $2.24 total for shipping, well I box the set, mind you a box roughly the same size as the set, I weigh it and then proceed to print up a shipping label and to my dismay, it was .30 more than the system projected. Well most will say that's not much, well when you start adding in BO fees, paypal fees ect... It tends to add up. I am assuming the system is configured to assume most things under 14 ounces will automatically be shipping in a small packet or mailer. Well there are plenty of sets under 14oz's that folks are going to want mailed in something a little more protected than a bubble mailer. MY question is how can this be addressed and fixed and is brickowl going to start covering those fees??
Scott

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You set all your shipping parameters yourself. If you have items you don't want to fall under the general listings you can modify them to your needs. Go to the item in your inventory, click "advanced" on the right hand corner tab, and you can enter a custom weight, or force it to be a quote only. These two options should resolve your issues.

As far as your last question, I think it has been addressed...and in any situation if you do not like your shipping costs or weight bands that you set up, I do not see how BO is responsible for that.
  • Well it's not very user friendly in my eyes, who is to know really about setting parameters and guidelines in there shipping section, it's hard to navigate and even harder to take into account shipping weights of boxes and packing materials. It's not like you are given a tutorial of any kind. I hate to make everything a quote for customers as it is a hassle. Not everything under 14oz's are just going to be parts or minifigs, lots of small sets and I'm afraid most people may not realize that and use the default on shipping weights that 1st class may fall under for USPS, just food for thought and maybe a footnote somewhere visible to account for additional weights for packing materials.
  • I see the adjustments recommendations now but don't think they were there in the beginning, oh well live and learn to check periodically if footnotes and suggestions are added
  • edited January 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    When you add a shipping method it warns of allowing for packaging material near the top of the page. I haven't changed my shipping since July when I joined and it was there then.

My personal tip, as I know you are a mainly a sets seller, I would enter your own "packed" weights into your own weight field on the advanced tab. This should give pretty good shipping for you....if multiple sets purchased and shipping was high, you could show goodwill and refund the difference.
  • I have it set up as a quote only for anything about 1lb and that works fine as most people generally buy in multiples as far as buying sets. Thanks though, hopefully set selling will catch on here, as BL is still getting 99% of that business but blazing on parts sales here