Dimensions of Minifigs with Hat

Hi all,

Had an order for a few minifigs and noticed the postage was for a 'small parcel' (UK).
Narrowed it down to the Gandalf minifig and his hat. The dimensions in the catalog include him wearing his hat... but if you take his hat off it comfortably fits into a large letter (and is therefore much cheaper postage).

I looked at a few other minifigs that have the same hat and they're all the same... dimensions include wearing the hat.

Example BOIDs
851957 - Gandalf
393169 - Professor Minerva McGonagall
18916 - The Scarecrow

I can see that having the dimensions as a fully built figure, including hats & other accessories, is probably good for the catalog... but not for the postage calculation.

It just means that whenever someone orders one of these minifigs, the postage will be much higher than it should be and will need to be refunded.

Is that just the way it is and we're just expected to refund the over-payment on postage?

Many thanks,
Simon

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have just had exactly the same with the skeleton with the top hat. I have just refunded the lady buying it as it went through as a large letter not small parcel. It has happened to me a few times now. Like you say, it just means refunding, but is a strange glitch
  • In these cases, please edit the shipping dimensions in the catalog. For every item there are 2 sets of dimensions. One of them being shipping dimensions, or for minifigures (as I see now) Unassembled Dimensions.
    As remark it has "Basic minifigures should be measured assembled, if they have any large items, they may take up less space being measured disassembled. Flexible items such as hose or string should be measured coiled up."
    So exactly the place to correct what you are running into :smile:

As far as I know this set of dimensions is used in calculating shipping, only needed when they differ from the normal dimensions
  • edited October 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If you edit the minifigure there is an option under Dimensions to include Unassembled Dimensions. If these are filled in they will be used to used to calculate the shipping cost rather than the Assembled Dimensions.

The only problem is I don't know of a way to identify which ones are missing, maybe someone else does.
  • Sorry @BasKrie I think I was too busy trying to get a screen shot, I didn't see your reply.
  • @Mrs Swoop I think it's either a retroactive task, i.e. once the order is picked but not posted and alarm bells have rung on the postage rates as @beaverbrick has discovered, or by going through your own inventory of minifigures and checking individually when you get chance. Personally I don't mind if I have to refund an over postage (and have done so on more than one occasion) and I will try to submit shipping dimensions so that it doesn't happen to other sellers.
  • @BasKrie @Mrs Swoop thanks so much. Never knew there was 2 sets of dimensions. I'll update for the ones I can.
  • @Mrs Swoop at least our replies are the same :)

As far as I know, there is no way to get a list of all items that need shipping dimensions but don't have them. I think that would be very difficult as well, most items don't need it, just some :)
  • If one truly wants a list, you might be able to contact the admin and ask for a special API pull... I do want to thank the OP though, I hadn't realized that minifigs offer two sep dimensions, that was useful to learn! :-) Jay37 seems to offer the most practical approach for checking one's own if you sell any that are unassembled.