Beware of Stripe! I lost money and set...

Hi all,
In many years of online sales on this and others Lego platforms, this is the first time that happened to me. I will try to make a summary with all the events:
- This summer I receive an order for a 200 euros set and its payment via Stripe from a foreign user with 0 feedback
- I prepare the package and ship two days later, as usual.
- After two weeks the user tells me that the package has not arrived. I check the tracking code and see that it is stopped here in Italy at the postal sorting center
- I make various claims to the local post office
- After a month it finally arrives in the United States
- The user keeps saying not to receive the package and I try to make him understand that it is not up to me and that, probably, in this situation of health emergency, the times are longer.
- User opens a dispute on Stripe, which directly withdraws money from my bank account.
- I provide all the proofs of dispatch, payment receipt, tracking code that I had kept.
- After another month, the user writes me that the package has finally arrived and I point out that the money has been withdrawn because there is a dispute and Stripe is deciding who to agree with.
- Yesterday, after almost 3 months, Stripe gives me wrong and I lose the dispute. I immediately contact the user who has disappeared and don't answer to my message.

Moral: I lost my money and a 200 euro set.
I have already closed the connections with Stripe because it is a bad service that does not allow a real dialogue to explain the situation and, above all, does not allow updates on a dispute when it is in progress.

I kept all the documents, the conversations on Brickowl with the user (even the one where he tells me that the package has arrived), the receipts and the photos.
I honestly don't know what to do now but beware of this terrible service!

Alessio

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well stripe or paypal or what ever we use. Can you just file a complaint with the decision made from stripe ?

The usual "how did you like the service" etc. ?
    And then maybe a second part, will look at the case again, and maybe favor in your win ?
  • "We known how frustrating it is to lose a dispute, and we're sorry to say that once a dispute has been lost, the outcome is final"

That's what Stripe wrote in his email so i don't have the chance to explain or to inform the admin or who have the power of decision.
    Really frustrating!
  • You always have a legal remedy. You can go after Stripe, the buyer in the US or both. Your agreement with Stripe will almost certainly be with an EU-based company, so that opens up the possibility of a small claims court case (or local equivalent) against them. It may even be possible to raise a complaint with your domestic financial services regulator. You also have the buyer's personal details so can report him to the US authorities for wire fraud, which I believe is a federal crime in the US when the fraud is perpetrated internationally.

I personally don't think you'd get anywhere going after Stripe as you'll have given them permission to act the way they did when you signed up with them. However, big companies often tend not to challenge cases raised in the small claims court as the sums involved aren't worth their while, and in such a case you would win by default.

You may be able to get the US authorities to call on the buyer, who may then elect to pay to avoid an escalation and possible criminal record. Of course the authorities may also tell you they're not interested in pursuing it.

I might be tempted to chalk it up to experience, such occurrences are incredibly rare. But make no mistake, what happened on Stripe can happen just as easily on PayPal. Both are beholden to the credit card companies when a chargeback is initiated, and neither can actually intervene to prevent the credit card company from taking the cash back and refunding the buyer. And PayPal would have charged you a fee as well.

I don't know about you but it seems that more and more payments are coming via Stripe, and I may even ditch PayPal this December when they introduce a flat €15 charge for intervening in disputes.
  • Firstly, send the buyer another message, and wait a few days. And inform Stripe, the may say that the outcome is final, but it doesn't hurt to show them that the order has arrived.
    And I would have contacted Stripe the moment the buyer said the order did arrive. It's a bit unclear how much time is between the arriving of the order and the Stripe outcome.
  • Stripe can't change the outcome if the buyer initiated a chargeback. Their role as a payment processor is to reverse the payment if the credit card issuer requires them to.
  • I had in the past a similar issue with Paypal. I have send some goods (~40€) from Germany to Brazil including tracking. Package has not arrived in the normal time and the tracking has shown only that the package has left Germany. The Buyer directly opened a claim at paypal and they have directly charged me for the whole amount. A few days later the buyer has mentioned that the package has arrived. But I have never got again the money - neither from the buyer nor from Paypal. The Service there only reference to their GTC. That's only Service for Buyers, not for Sellers.

As the online platform with the 4 colored letters is no more Buyer/Seller friendly. I guess they have learned from the experience of claims at Paypal. And for sure, they want to earn the payment fee, themselves without sharing with anybody else.

Selling is always funny and has sometimes some risk. Most time if something get lost, it's most time more an ideal value than hard money.
  • I would also contact to buyer again, or even more, you have "an" address, so use that, and "politely" write if you dont comply, i will contact the authorities.

At the moment i have actually gotten money back from a package that is lost in russia. But if ever i get it, i would never just keep it and pretend nothing.
    In this case i dont understand how stripe can make that ending, when you have all that evidence.
  • It sucks that not all people are honest and are happily willing to hurt small businesses so they can get something "free" (I apologize on behalf of my countryman, as clearly they are not going to). :-(

I believe internet transactions are under Federal vs. local authority cognizance, so you'd need to contact the FBI on the US side - there may be a field office local to where you shipped the product to. While they may not be able to anything or they respectfully treat it as too small to pursue, a record on that person would be very helpful if this is part of a pattern from that individual. And that's something you can communicate electronically easily.

You should also consider leaving negative feedback on that user and blocking them from buying from you again.

I would also, as others have suggested, pursue stripe in EU small claims - they are technically facilitating theft when you have evidence otherwise to their decision, and it may actually get you a human being on the phone to explain it to (NO idea how they work, obviously). They have NO phone number at all? That boggles me.

I think you chances are far better under EU law to get your funds back vs. under US, though you can certainly try our small claims court system, as well (you'd almost certainly win, but I suspect the court fees, potential lawyer to rep you unless you intend to fly out here, and time would far outweigh what $$ you get back - then again, it may well be worth the point being made! Sadly I think people bank on this.

In the US, we can write legal fees, etc., off of our business taxes as an expense - hopefully you can do that in the EU too. And you can almost certainly write the loss off of your business taxes in the EU, I would think.

People suck, again, really sorry!! :-( On the plus side, this is wildly rare IMHO - the vast majority of people are honest and awesome to work with, but there's always that unrepentant, selfish person here or there that frankly increases the cost of everything for everyone else... :-(
  • edited October 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I used to have stripe but stopped long time ago due to information issue. I had 1 buyer from Russia who ordered from me last july and he did not ask for tracking so I sent by standard letter mail because it a small item. He contacted me for tracking number after 1 month, how stupid he is because he didn't ask for tracking postage in first place. Filed claim in Paypal but lucky the live chat agent was in a good mood closed the case after I explained that he didn't choose for tracking so my money got back and Paypal refunded him at their expense. He gave me negative for his order lost? It need to put neg or neutral settings for us sellers to issue to those stupid buyers and warn others about it. Another fraud buyer in BL also tried to get free bricks himself lost the case because when he filed PP and escalate it, I found a way to stop fraudster from is to choose This buyer must return the items with tracking number before my agreed full refund sent to him but he did not respond and my case won. He really stupid for filing PP and not realising that this option required him to send items back to me at his own cost which will be higher than the £3.24 claim. I advise sellers who get fraud attemps use this option so fraudsters will back off as they won't pay for the return postage. Lucky 99% buyer are very good here and in BL.
  • I had some "trouble" also with Paypal but i always explain the situation that an automatic system or a simple form can't.
    As buyer, Stripe/Paypal or others are great platforms but ,as seller the first one is not ideal.
    It could been very simple if i could wrote an update/a message or upload another photo of the customer's message , that told me that the package was arrived, during the dispute.

For 200 euros i don't think it's a great idea to contact the authorities from Italy to US...i think i'll waste my time for nothing.
    Now i report an issue on BO but i don't know what's going on.

Thanks a lot for for your support!
    Regards,

Alessio
  • I haven't read through all responses yet, but I would advice to call Stripe instead of mailing/messaging. They customer service is very good and on point, and with evidence of delivery, they should be able to do something.