Discovered inventory error while filling order

While filling an order, I discovered I had misidentified a part that I listed. I need to resolve the issue with the customer and adjust the order, but I am not sure of the proper way to do this on BO. Can someone point me to how to best handle this here? Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Firstly, if you haven't got the correct part in stock, I would get in touch with the customer and explain the situation. In the past when it's happened to me I've offered a number of options and asked the customer to choose one of my suggestions or offer a solution themselves. For example, I could offer to refund the cost of the part and their shipping (allowing them to purchase elsewhere and not be out of pocket). I could also offer a coupon for their next order, but I'm not a fan of this as it assumes they are going to shop from me again and I'm sure I've offered coupons in the past and they've never been redeemed. Some stores have mentioned purchasing from another store and ask them to ship directly to the customer.

I don't know that there is a 'proper' BO way of doing this, rather what works between you and the customer. As long as you keep them appraised of the situation, I'm sure things will be fine.
  • Thank you for the advise. I sent a message to the customer and am waiting for a response. In the meantime, does anyone know if there is a way for me to edit the order to remove the items, or do I just have to leave the missing items in the order?
  • Nologo, I don't beleive the paid order is editable, but the invoice will change if you end up refunding the item plus any shipping you determined was appropriate, etc., so there is a history available for these changes (which is great for downloading your history for taxes, etc.).