What are all the colors under this part?

I'm new and don't go on here often, and I'm confused by all the colors under part #x105. It includes the released colors as well as translucent white, which is unreleased. I'm assuming that most parts on here also have unreleased colors in the same area, but what is this area? Colors on people's wanted lists? Sold items?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Could be either of the things you say - afaik both would result in a colour's inclusion on that tab.
  • Hi! If I understand your question correctly, I think you are asking what the source is for listed colors that are not accompanied by an image and/or have few or no stores selling the item.

In my experience creating catalog image entries, these colors display for parts because a store added that item as a color they have for sale, or LEGO transmitted that color for that part via their API to BO. Reasons I've seen for entries that do not or do not appear to yet exist include:

1. Seller accidentally misinterpreted the part's color (e.g., selling a part in Medium Stone Gray when it only ever came in Light Gray) [most of these that I've come across - it's a very easy mistake to make with some colors, and I have certainly done this unfortunately! <s>]

2. Seller accidentally listed their item under the wrong BO entry for a similar-looking but NOT the same part, thus creating a new color under the wrong entry [I've run across this in stickered/decorated items, older parts, and part variants a lot, likely the second greatest cause for nonexistent colors displaying]

3. This one is a guess on my part = the part is NEW enough that while the entry and color are correct, LEGO transmitted this as an existing color but has not yet transmitted images for it to BO via their API

4. The part is OLD enough that while the entry and color are correct, LEGO does not provide the image for BO via their API, but finding an actual part in that color to photograph and manually load is challenging [another common thing I've run across]

5. Seller accidentally listed their item under the wrong BO entry because they mismeasured the size, thus creating a new color under the wrong entry [I've run across this under various hoses, as an example]

As you can see, most situations are driven by a seller listing the part in a specific color for sale - any seller can create a new color for any part in real-time (no approval needed) by simply choosing that color to list their item.

BO members can mark a catalog entry (e.g., a specific color entry for a part that doesn't exist) for deletion under the Edit tab for that color. BO admin then researches it and I believe if they agree, the entry deletes once no more sellers list that item in that color for sale. You'd need to ask @lawrence if that is correct, the admin. :-)

I hope I understood your question!
  • Or 6. Part exists in a rare unreleased color that was especially made for Legoland, Pick-a-minifigure
    or test batches.

That is not the case for this part as far as I know.
  • Oooo good call, MinifigMan! That hadn't crossed my mind - especially with test batches.